12/1 Light Cycle - Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Slayer50, Oct 29, 2011.

1. light makes food for the plant.. chlorophyll... Like many plants, one of the most noticeable being sunflowers, it adjusts its body so that it can intake the most light ergo create the most chlorophyll

2. For sure. I'm just saying I think the amount of light per day has a lot to do with how the plant adjusts its growth. Less light per day means they stretch for more light.

3. [quote name='"DBV"']

For sure. I'm just saying I think the amount of light per day has a lot to do with how the plant adjusts its growth. Less light per day means they stretch for more light.[/quote]

Actually I think its the opposite.

Research 12/1 light cycle.

I feel like the number 1 advocate for this cycle haha but from my understanding it promotes Bushier plants with less light.

Also I'm going to admit I'm drunk. If what I'm saying doesn't make sense I'm sorry In advance.

Thank god for auto correction haha

4. actually you may be suprised to know the roots do not require darkness..
    as long as they are moist its all good, the reason for a dark root zone is to fight off algae...:)

5. Ive been running it for the last yr and has worked great. as stated above there is a flower schedule that goes along with it. Only problems I have ran into is a few strains get slightly confused in the veg stage wich is solved by increasing the first on time in the cycle and 2nd if your perpetual the bloom cycle won't work so I stick with 11on13 off since i have variouse finishing times in the room at once. none the less I love it and it keeps the electricity bill down! not only from the lights but the a/c also :) also I haven't noticed any decrease in growth or yield they seem happy as can be. I ould reccomend giving it a try.

Veg 13on 5off 1on 5off if your plants jump the gun increase the 13 by 1hr and take off of either of the 5's

6. Ed Rosenthal suggests that during your normal 18/6 or what ever you run, the first and last hour should be a blue spectrum. Not from hid. I believe the spectrum mimics what happens during a waxing moon outdoors. This causes the space between internodes to decrease. Ive seen that sunlight supply offers clips that attach to your current hid hood, to hold t5s (low watt blue spectrum), for this reason.

I personally just use phosphaload day 10-14 to stop the initial strech. But again this just depends on the genetics.

7. And I'm not so sure about the 5off one on thing you got going. But I know for sure that the process I listed above works.

I personally only germ beans on a waxing moon. I have found the plants to be more vigorous, though I don't have hard fact or proof)

8. I'm running this sch. as ive said but now I'm getting ready to take some clones and I'm not sure if I should put them under 18/6 or just run the same light as veg.

Any input or suggestions?

9. [quote name='"whitey78"']I'm running this sch. as ive said but now I'm getting ready to take some clones and I'm not sure if I should put them under 18/6 or just run the same light as veg.

Any input or suggestions?[/quote]

Low light high humidity induces rooting. Ive been propagating under one cfl on 24/7 for years now.

10. [quote name='"whitey78"']I'm running this sch. as ive said but now I'm getting ready to take some clones and I'm not sure if I should put them under 18/6 or just run the same light as veg.

Any input or suggestions?[/quote]

Low amounts of light and high humidity slows transpiration and induces rooting. I've been propagating under one cfl that's on 24/7 for years now.

11. I appreciate that, but I am experienced in taking cuts but i just wasn't sure if I should put the cuttings under the 12/1 lighting or should I setup another area that has 18/6 or whatever. I guess there's only one way to find out but I was just curious if anyone else took clones under this light schedule.

12. I would use the same cycle you plan to use during vegging just to minimise stress and/or confusion for the plant.

13. How is this different from just running 13 hours on 11 hours off? The one hour on during the dark period prevents it from flowering but doubles your ballast and other equipment startups. 13 straight hours of light will prevent them from flowering just the same and you only have 1 startup per 24 hours.

14. 13 hours of uninterupted darkness will induce flowering in some strains. The one hour is 5.5 hours after initial lights out after 12 on.

Also, there's no need to run a big light for the hour of light interruption, you can use a couple cfls or whatever.

15. Whitey, I have been having the same problem too. I want to switch to 12/1 but I have clones rooting and wasn't sure how that would effect the rooting. SInce roots grow in the dark, I would assume it would help, but to be safe...I'm still doing 16/8 until they do root.

16. i have to disagree dont post this here? This is the advanced section and this is perfectly legit for a thread here...if he wants to try this who are we to say no..

Go for it bro..jist cuz your not an advanced grower doesnt mean you shouldnt post here..

17. Your clones should be in twenty four hour light if possible...the extra dark will not help them root..roots are in the dark regardless...obviously something goes on in the roots during lights off but it wont help a clone root better

18. Im sorry man, but this is wrong...
    13 hours of light your girls will def start to flower..no question...:D

19. #59 Slayer50, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think that makes sense, to do 13 hours of light. In regards to the regular 12/1 cycle, the hour of dark in the middle of night somehow fools the circadian rhythm of the plant, keeping it in the vegetive state.

We will find out about the clone thing. I changed my mind after my last post and finally switched over to the 12/1...I hadn't switched yet because I had a batch of clones... I learned a lot on that batch...15 failures, 1 survivor, lol. Made another batch (I only need 2 more to live) last Tuesday. After reading the post earlier by DBV, "I would use the same cycle you plan to use during vegging just to minimise stress and/or confusion for the plant." Seemed to make sense so I made the switch. 1 week of 18/6 for the clones, switched to 12/1 today. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

20. Ok, well 14 hours then. My point is it seems the purpose of this is to give the plants more dark period than the 18/6 without it flowering. Ive never tried any light schedule other than the recommended 18/6 20/0 24/0. And from information I read it was because there was less production under 18/6. If thats the case then wouldnt that mean more dark really doesnt help them?