The Official Ncaa Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Tuor, Oct 21, 2011.

1. #1 Tuor, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
    Blades, let us discuss college hoops :smoke:

The season is less than a month away, and I'm pumped. North Carolina is the preseason #1, with Kentucky not far behind.

My Badgers are in the top 15 thanks to the best point guard in the entire country, Jordan Taylor.

This thread is a place to talk matchups, smack, and anything else that goes on leading up to March Madness. And I know that not only will there be some regular college hoops fans, but some of you will be starving for some NBA with the lockout dragging on, so bring it on in here and we'll watch the college kids do their thing. Who's your team? Or who's going to win it all? Or who are you rooting to fail? Everybody has a team they hate in college hoops :laughing:

as such: fuck Roy Wiliams.

2. #2 Perpetual Burn, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
    It's too soon for all this. Too much college football left to be played... having said that...

Let's go Duke!

Yeah, Duke is Duke again this year... and that sucks for everyone else. Coach K is the man... IMO, the best coach in all of basketball now that Phil Jackson is retired. There's a reason why they picked him to coach the Dream Team II... dude gets victorious!

And I'll second the 'Fuck Roy Williams' notion. See you Feb. 8th and March 3rd. :D

Duke's got some big non-conference games this year... MSU, TENN, at tOSU, and at Temple.

Go Blue Devils!

3. Dude...FSU in football, but Duke in hoops? Doesn't FSU have a serious habit of fucking up Dook's grand plans the last couple years? :laughing:

Damn that'd be like me rooting for Bucky in football and Sparty in hoops ;)

But at least someone else is gonna be watching for college hoops. Yeah, it's definitely early but I'm just trying to get all my research in now, before the year starts. Gotta know your foes before you can beat 'em, yeah?

Fucking tool Roy Williams finally scheduled Bucky for the B1G/ACC challenge...in Chapel Hill...and only when he's got the best team he's ever had coming back. Son of a bitch he is...

4. I rep my school...Michigan all day. No DMo but we still have a solid core. Trey Burke will hopefully be a solid replacement. Got one of the best coaches in the country in John Beilein. Big Ten is gonna be a grind this year, like always. I think we'll make the tournament, not too sure of anything this early though.

5. When do games start? When does Uconn play?

6. I'm very interested in Jordan Morgan. He's got the frame and soft hands to be a major scoring threat down low, but his development will definitely be hindered by the loss of Morris. I can't believe how good Morris ended up being last year. He was so pedestrian playing with Manny Harris and Sims, didn't seem like he knew his role with those guys around...but when he had the reins in his hand, holy fuck was he good.

Hope Hardaway doesn't have a soph slump, because they don't have anyone else who's ready to be a #1 scoring option yet. Morgan's footwork isn't good enough to just throw it to him every trip yet, he's still probably a year away from being a 15 ppg guy, and Novak and Douglass are role guys. Good role guys, but not good enough to make up for it if Hardaway shoots 35%.

Dazey, some teams have already played exhibition games. The real games, early-season non conference matchups, will start in the next two weeks. Can't wait :cool:

7. Nice writeup. I like Morgan for the reason you said, his soft touch but he just seems too undersized to be a star. Definitely the potential to be a double double guy though. And yeah, Hardaway definitely needs to improve his shot selection to improve to where he can be our main scoring threat. Novak and Douglass are straight up leaders, those guys will be missed after this year. Novak yelling at the team on the sidelines at Breslin was a great moment last season that showed how he can motivate this team. But yeah, we just need more consistency scoring and a little more size to be a true contender.

8. Was born in duke hospital, so ive been reppin duke since I was born. I think we are one of the most talented teams in the nation, we just gotta find out how to make it all mesh. Im thinking that ryan kelly...yes ryan kelly is gunna be our most consistent player maybe between 15-20 points a game. Austin rivers and seth curry will trade off having dominate games. Austin has the potential to be the best guard in the nation, he just has to go with the flow instead of forcing like I have seen him do in the preseason. The plumlee brothers are gunna have to step up big, but Ive been hearing that miles has been doing that.

I am scared of UNC, a lot of experience on that team but I know duke can beat them tarholes.

9. Big 10 is gonna be a grind this year. Ohio State is probably the only elite, Final Four type team, but there's 5 or 6 other teams that are going to win about 20 games and do some damage to each other this year.

I really hope Hummel can finish off with a full year now that he's finally healthy. Boilers need a third scorer to step up, but they could be as good as last year's team if Hummel is the Hummel of old. Michigan, of course, is young but took a major step forward last year. And Beilein is like Bo Ryan: never bet against him.

I hope NW can make a tourney finally. They've got 3 really good perimeter guys and after falling just short last year...again...I mean fuck they need to get in. Michigan State is hard to read. I'll never bet against Izzo either, but he's got a similar problem to that facing Purdue. Only two really proven guys. If Travis Wood scores like he did at Valpo, Sparty will be just fine. Appling for most improved player in the league.

Paul and Richardson should be good for Illinois, but I worry about Paul's turnovers and shot selection now that he'll be the guy with the ball in his hands all the time. They really need their young frontcourt guys to grow up fast. Leonard and Griffey can be a good duo, we'll see. And they need something from Crandall Head. Can't believe how little he played last year. And of course, stupid fucking Minnesota. Mbakwe will be All-B1G if he doesn't get arrested again (I'm not betting on him playing the whole year), but they have no point guard, and Mbakwe, Sampson and Iverson are wasted by the fact that there's nobody to get them the ball. Rodney Williams is a wildcard, but since he's been locked up almost as much as Mbakwe, who the fuck knows? Wasn't Tubby Smith supposed to be a classy, pro's pro guy? Now he's at Minnesota, desperate, signing any guy who's been cut loose by someone else for behaviour issues? God damn is Minnesota fucking pathetic. Hope we bloody their nose something good this year :devious:

And then, Bucky. I don't know if Bruesewitz will be able to score/shoot consistently every game, but we need him to. Our frontcourt could be a big problem. We got pushed around last year sometimes, and now we're without a pair of 3-year starters. Berggren needs to become a player in a hurry. And redshirt Evan Anderson...he's the one guy with size and ability to be a defensive force in the paint.

Taylor is a fucking legend already, I just hope he stays healthy and strong. He wore down a bit at the end of last year because opposing teams just sent waves of dudes to beat the shit out of him (a smart strategy, cause how else do you stop him?). Gasser should become a reliable scorer this year, and he's got a great skillset overall. Very promising. But the guy we need to step up the most? Ryan Evans. He's probably the most talented dude on the roster. But he only shows his ability in flashes...he's undisciplined and doesn't shoot it well. And that means, under Bo, you're sitting quite a bit. He's go to find some consistency and give us some scoring punch, because teams are going to just swarm Taylor even more without Leuer.

Long post but I'm all kinds of ready for the season. On Wisconsin!

10. Love NCAA. I barely watch NBA, because half the time they play like trash and have no defense, but I absolutely love NCAA. The players play like they mean it, because they know they only have those four years to rep their school.

As always, I'm big on Michigan State. I love the kind of ball that 'Nova had been playing last year until they screwed up big time come the tournament, but they're on my list to watch. I live near Syracuse, and I've got tickets to a game this year, so I'll be watching them too.

Can't wait for it to start up!

11. Damn, #16 Arizona is the first major school to lose so far this season. And they lost an exhibition matchup with...Seattle Pacific?

A Division II school? :eek:

This type of upset is becoming shockingly common in NCAA hoops, at least very early in each season. It's not always a DII school, but far-obscure DI schools pull upsets too.

Zona only had 20 rebounds in the game. Lost 68-69. Guess they're going to miss Derrick Williams more than a little bit...

12. I'm the biggest Uconn fan there is and lemme tell you...this team, this year...is underrated at #4. Kentucky and UNC are absolutely stacked so I understand #3 but there's no way we're #4. It's the most talented Uconn team ever. Drummond is the best talent the country has and Lamb is gonna be the best shooting guard in America this year. Watch out for the Huskies everybody! First Uconn exhibition game is this Wednesday btw to the guy who asked.

13. Yup and their second leading scorer transferred to my Alma-mater Iona College on hardship and is being allowed to play this season. Iona is STACKED. They're a top 25 team and will be in the Sweet 16 this year...MARK MY WORDS.

They have the best point guard in the MAAC, the best big man and Lamont Jones the guy from Arizona may very well end up being one of the best players too!

14. I'm a huge Texas fan. The sucky part was seeing all the huge names from last season advance to the NBA in Tristan, Cory Joseph (who I don't think was ready to make the transition), and my personal favorite from last year Jordan Hamilton.

Even having lost all those players, this team should still be top 25 by the end of the regular season and next season it should be an easy top 10 with a huge recruiting class that seems like it's sneaking under people's radar.

15. Myck Kabongo might make you forget about all 3. I've seen little of him so far but he could be exceptional.

16. Zona struggled again tonight against Humboldt State...I presume that's another DII school? Hope all those heralded recruits grow up in a hurry of Zona's going to be looking up at a lot of teams in the Pac 12.

Saw a bit of Michigan State on B1G network yesterday. They'll be really good if they can get someone other than Green and Appling to score. It might just be because Sparty was going against undersized Ferris State but Branden Dawson showed some ability in the paint. Good hands and slashing ability.

17. Fuck Roy Williams? What is your life about? Watch them heels do they thang this year. Harrison and PJ gone light it up

18. Tuor and I rep the B1G, fuck the ACC. I hope that conference loses all the games in the Big Ten - ACC challenge.

19. Well we won't. Can't wait till the 11th..did mich st get new jerseys?

20. cuse fan here. ranked 5th in the country. i expect big things from this team, they have a nice mix of vets and young guns. fab melo needs to step up his game this year and he looked good last night in the first exhibition game. go orange !