Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Health Benefits of Vaping?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by JustSomeHighGuy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. How much healthier is vaping? I am currently on a break from weed because I have been coughing non-stop. I have asthma aswell. My asthma usually starts acting up around this time of year but usually it doesn't last as long as it has been and I think it would be from my marijuana use.(which is usually once during the day and one before I go to bed)

I am just wondering that if I buy a vape that I could continue to use marijuana problem free. I use marijuana to help me sleep, focus, and I did use it for my asthma since I can usually breath much better right after. I also just love getting high which is the main reason I do it. But with this cough it really doesn't seem worth it.

2. #2 zDark, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    Vaping is way easier on your lungs and very lighter than smoke.
    Plus you get more percentage of THC out of your weed.
    Thanks to not combusting, you can still get terepenoids and cannabinoids from vaping.
    You just need to vape at a higher temperature, and grind down your weed.

Vapor Temperature 150*C / 301*F: I call this the tasting temperature. You may have not released any Cannabinoids (Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) @ 146*C) yet so there is little to no Euphoric effects if you just vaped at this temp. If you really want to get the rich flavors of the Terpenoids I start here. I have been amazed at how I can taste some distinct flavors of the various cannabis strains that I have used. Floral or pine flavors come out along with wood and earth tones. The idea came to me after I found so many of the Terpenoids have a low flash point but their flavors may be getting lost to some of the upper released Terpenoids with a more dominant scent or flavor or content. So hitting one or two vapor draws at this temp before increasing the temperature allows you to enjoy some great flavors and benefits. After I hit the Cannabis at this temp, I usually will increase the temperature to 180*C for Sativa’s and 190*C for Indica’s and finish vaping the rest of the Cannabis or you can save it for later. This would be a good temp for people needing relief but cannot function with any of the euphoria from the THC during the day. This releases 7 of the 18 core Terpenoids including Humulene, Caryophyllene. Pinene and Farnesol which gives floral flavors. I have noticed definite anti-inflammatory benefits with some strains.

Vapor Temperature 170*C / 338*F: This is a great temperature for many Sativa’s. This releases 12 of the 18 core Terpenoids adding many of the higher concentrated flavors like Myrcene, Sabinene, Camphene, and Delta 3 caren that flash between 160*C and 170*C. Plus you release THC and some elements of CBD. This may release elements of THCA because the flash point is close. Also Delta 8 THC and CBG are close to this temp and some effects may be felt from their oils but it should be mild.

Vapor Temperature 180*C / 356*F: Great daytime temperature. Though you are close to releasing CBN, which could give you a messed up feeling if the cannabis is high in CBN, overall sedation effects should be low at this temperature. You adding 3 known Cannabinoids, THCA, Delta 8 THC, CBG, plus two more new Terpenoids (14 of 18 core Terpenoids), Eucalyptol and Limonene. Sativa’s high in CBG and Eucalyptol will give you more of an energy boost than coffee. Plus it is healthier! Strains like Green Crack and Trainswreck are great at this temp for energetic boost. Apigenin, a flavonoid, is released in this temperature range adding more Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Antidepressant benefits.

Vapor Temperature 190*C / 375*F: Another great daytime temperature as well as afternoon and evening temp. Now if your Cannabis CBN content is high you may get a really heady messed up feeling that may not allow you to function normally. Plus at this temp are adding some great terpinenes and terpinolene. Now 17 of the core 18 Terpenoids have been released and if you have a great Sativa with low CBN you will be able to enjoy the Cannabis all day long at this temp or you might lower the temp to 185*C for Sativa’s and vape Hybrids & Indica’s at this temperature. The Flavonoid, cannflavin A, is released a known COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor.

Vapor Temperature 200*C / 391*F: This is the beginning of the night time temps. A lot of the terpenoids and cannabinoids that are heavy in sedatives have higher boiling points. Linool is a terpenoid with a flash point at 199 and is a strong sedative. I find those strains heavy in floral scents tend to really sedate at this temp.

3. Thank you for the fast reply. I also left something out that I should have put in but do you still develop a smokers cough if you use a vaporizer?

4. I had smoker's cough when I used a bong / blunts / joints.
    Vaping, I don't. Since you aren't combusting your bud.
    There is little to none tars/carcinogens.

5. Thank you for providing me with all the help I needed :) +Rep!

6. Put it this way...part of my daily routine is wake-n-vape and then a nice little run. Makes my runs SOOO much better...and no lung strain BTW.

7. "118 carcinogens were produced when marijuana underwent combustion, and two carcinogens {2-Methyl-2, 4(2H-1-benzopyran-5-ol) & 5-[Acetyl benz[e]azulene-3,8-dione} formed when marijuana underwent vaporization with the Volcano Vaporizer."

there's also no tar, just a bit of oil. your lungs are in near mint condition with a vape.

8. So if I am vaping I don't have to worry about my lungs. Is there any known side effects of using marijuana even though I'm vaping? From experience other than the effect is has on your lungs I've only really realized that my memory can be a tad blurry. But that is because I was high a fair amount of time.

9. No authority can tell you anything is totally safe. It seems vaping weed is about as safe as breathing air. THC is known to cause cell apoptosis, which means too much weed will stress your lungs by forcing new cells to form, but you have to vape too much for this to happen (like over 100-200 good hits/day). The effects on the brain and other organ systems are also not conclusively understood, but it has centuries of safe use documented. It's a gamble, but it's not as risky of a gamble as burning weed. That is certain.

10. My doc didn't say smoking was bad but did say we are getting a lot more from this wonderful plant besides THC.

11. Vapor Temperature 170*C / 338*F: This is a great temperature for many Sativa’s. This releases 12 of the 18 core Terpenoids adding many of the higher concentrated flavors like Myrcene, Sabinene, Camphene, and Delta 3 caren that flash between 160*C and 170*C. Plus you release THC and some elements of CBD. This may release elements of THCA because the flash point is close. Also Delta 8 THC and CBG are close to this temp and some effects may be felt from their oils but it should be mild.

12. Cannabinoids and terepenoids from the Trichome Gland
    Resins and oils of those mixed array of chemicals.
    Along with alot of THC that ends up boiled off.
    And you inhale the vapors getting high :)

13. Yeah man I have asthma, and I only vape, every once in awhile I like to use my bong, which also opens up my lungs.

Best part is you can take nice slow hits which will inturn open up some air passages. I don't even use my inhaler anymore :)

14. Vaping is WAY easier on the lungs! My toker's cough goes away when I just vape. If you click that first link in my sig an scroll down to "Methods of Use - Vaporizers", you will find medical studies and articles about exactly how much better for you it is!