CFL Cabinet 12-12 From Seed Grow- Organic!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by BoroM, Oct 17, 2011.

1. #1 BoroM, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    First indoor stealth grow.

Dimensions: 2' L x 1.5' W x 2.5' H
    Painted flat white on the inside, weatherstrip and caulk already applied.

Lighting: CFLs, probably around 160 Watts total at the moment but will be getting more. Hung from top with shop light cords to lower/higher them.

Medium: FFOF in 4" pots

Nutes: Earth Juice Bloom, I've heard that it will not affect the pH levels much.

Passive air intakes, Carbon Filter with a high quality silent CPU fan outtake, small fan on inside for plants.

Will start this with a couple Blue Dream and Mango Kush seeds. All seeds from a reputable friend. More than likely going with SOG and 6 plants.

I am planning on starting 12-12 the day the seeds sprout and will start with the nutes around week 2. Primary reason behind trying out a 12-12 schedule is due to time constraints. This is primarily a trial run to see the yields possible from 12-12, regardless of the stage the plant is at it will be cut within 9 weeks of the seed sprouting. This is more of a "research" project on my part rather than a grow.

Any comments, questions, or suggestions are more than welcome.

2. Setup sounds great. I've heard that it's best to wait about 3 weeks into vegetative growth before going into 12/12. interesting that you're doing a little experiment. Are you taking a business trip after the 8 weeks? I'd personally follow the guides but let's see what happens.

3. sounds like you've done your homework. good luck :)

4. Bingo on the business trip. This is my first indoor grow in almost 4 years, due to security issues I was forced to abort that grow so this will hopefully be my first complete indoor grow. I've grown outdoors for 3 seasons with moderate success and have decided to scale down to a personal indoor grow. This mainly because at this point in my life I am way to busy to be running around in our National Forests, plus it is also winter.

I looked at the calendar and I have around 9 weeks total (germing seeds now) worth of grow time if the plants are in soil by Saturday. No other option other than to cut the plants at that time, but then again these are bagseeds. I have a bunch of feminized seeds that I will be growing at the start of 2012, if the cab ends up working out, when I have a bigger window to grow.

Germing seeds at the moment using the paper towel method (I've always done it this way with great success); Blue Dream and Mango Kush.

Question:
    I have both 2700K and 6500K 40 Watt CFLs available.

Should I use (2) 2700K and (2) 6500K CFLs for the beginning stages and then switch to all 2700K after a couple weeks?

Or, would it be best to go with only 2700K CFLs for the whole grow?

Out of curiosity, what exactly happens if you only use 6500K bulbs to flower?

Any suggestions on good indoor strains which finish early, have a decent yield, moderate smell, and have strong sativa characteristics? I am always looking for more seeds.

5. I love my superlemon haze...I always recommend that and lemon skunk. Lemon haze is a good 9-10 weeks though...for a quick finish and a real 'up' high I like sour60, a 60 day autoflower.

I'd use the 6500's in the first weeks to get a little better veg growth..then switch to all 2700...the lower K produces bigger buds, then higher K rating will be slightly more frosty and fragrant but will also produce more leaves and have less actual bud mass. Lower K is the way to go for flowering..more red light might help to speed things up a bit too.

6. #6 BoroM, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, completely forgot about Ruderalis. It's been a couple years since I have even heard of one.

7. [quote name='"rockout74"']but let's see what happens.[/quote]

Curious to see how this goes as well! Best of luck! :smoke:

8. #8 BoroM, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    General Goals:
    -\t60% humidity, 80* F during the day and as low as 70* F at night.
    -\tI am predicting a minimum of 14 g dry but am expecting in the range of just over an ounce to close to two.

Day 1~14: Vegetative/Pre-Flower
    -\t12/12 schedule using (4) 40 Watt 6500K CFLs
    -\tFeeding: Water only at this time, Nitrogen will be supplied by the soil
    -\tI will hopefully be triggering flowering with the 6500K lights in the first 2 weeks to encourage growth until I feel the plants are at a sufficient size and the sex is determined
    -\tI hope around day 14 the plants will have shown their sex, it is wishful thinking but possible.

Day 15~60
    -\t12/12 schedule using (4) 40 Watt 2700K CFLs
    -\tFeeding: Earth Juice Bloom 0-3-1 starting at ½ TBSP/gallon concentration, increasing up to 2 TBSP/gallon. Will be adding minute amounts of Epsom salts to correct for Mg
    -\tAt this point I have almost run out of time and must begin wrapping up. Ideally the plant will be done flowering though it is unlikely.
    -\tPlants will be trained as necessary, though I doubt they will ever need to be.

Day 60~63
    -\t48-72 hours of darkness having been fed only cold water the week before
    -\tCut most fan leaves
    -\tMay allow temperatures to fall as low as 55* during the night

Harvest

Comments or Suggestions?

There is always the possibility of hermies due to stress. However, I feel that by skipping the vegetative growth cycle it will reduce the shock on the plant since the photoperiod will remain consistent, 12-12, from seed to flower. I would rather not have any hermies but would not mind them and this truly is more of a project to see the possible yields in such a short period.

Edit:

Cabinet is complete except for a fan, which I will need to keep the temps down inside. Seeds (6) have been germing for 24 hours, none have popped yet. Started germing 6 more seeds today.

9. Hi, I am very interested in this thread and am running a little experiment myself with a single cheese bag seed, its currently under the lights of my unused 3' fish tank with two florescent tubes one red one blue and roughly 6mm growth since the germinated seed pushed out the soil this morning lol

10. How is everything going? :smoke:

11. How many plant do you plan on growing because on 1 plant yiu might get a max of 5g dried

12. Why do you expect such a low number for one plant? I've just read of a guy who got 3 ounces from using cfls's.

13. Sorry for the lack of life in here guys.

Been really busy lately so I have not been able to post updates. Only 1 female plant left at this point. Began flowering roughly 3 weeks in to the grow. It is roughly a foot tall (I have LST'd it though). I would guess that the main "cola" looks to be around 4-5g dry with many other smaller pop-corn nuggets all around the plant.

I have 2 2700K 42W CFLs focused on the main cola and 2 6500k 42W focused on the pop-corn nugs in the hope that they will grow vegetatively. (Fingers crossed) I am hoping the pop-corn nugs shoot upwards from the stem and form small colas of their own.

I transplanted it from a smaller 1 L pot to a 3 Gallon pot, hopefully the roots will explode and the buds will as well.

More than likely will chop main cola in a week or so and allow the rest to develop.

Temps 65 at night, 80 day
    Humidity 40-50%
    Nutes: Small amounts of organics

How much watering is to much watering for indoor plants? I hear different opinions from everyone.

Pics tonight

14. #14 Lovemybudz, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    Im using CFLs now and plan around 4 oz. In a 3 gallon pot even using CFLs, he could easily achieve an oz. Looking forward to seeing some pics:D
    The watering is all dependent, Ive heard best thing to do is water em real good, then wait till they a little dry and wanting more water then you douse them real good again. (but thats just what ive come to learn from reading around here, im sure other people do it differently)

15. i was actually planning a 12/12 from seed grow myself as soon as my current grow is over. i will be using bagseed in a pc grow box... really curious to see what kinda yield u get!!

16. I too would like to see some pics. Hard to say what u can get without seeing it.

3oz from a plant that was at 12/12 from day of sprout or 3oz from a plant with some veg time?

17. #17 BoroM, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
    really busy, sorry for the wait. but here you go, also a recent pick up

Edit: Yes, I am aware that I have a Magnesium defency but have not had the time to get Epsom salts to correct this issue. Appears to be sativa dominant.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      102 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      107 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
  18. is that from the 12/12 from seed grow? lookin nice! how much time is left?

19. Yes it is 12/12 from seed.

Not sure but I would guess from a month to two weeks but really compltely depends. I would guess she is at Day 48 so she is still relatively young

20. very nice looks almost like the short rider autoflowers i just grew look like u get about same amount bud.. see i have a pc box so i cant veg a monster cuz really small space which is why i was considering 12/12 from seed but i heard you would be lucky to get 3 grams from one plant..what are your thoughts on the amount yeild u may get?