Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

how healthy is a bong

• Please log in to reply

MrLanky

MrLanky

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts
I know weed is supposed to contain something around four to fives times the amount of tars than in tobacco but how much is taken out when using a bong? Is it still that bad for your lungs and if so how much?

Similar Topics: how healthy is a bong     x

yellow bic

yellow bic

KCCO!

• Old School
  • 3,124 posts
any smoke in your lungs is un-natural and is going to be bad for you

not sure on the percentage of tar that is filtered in a bong

for some reason i wanna say like 70%, for some reason that number just sounds right lol not real sure why though

google it, maybe you can find the truth, im to high to bother with google!

Blazin'Talon

Blazin'Talon

Maybe just nothing

• Old School
  • 2,387 posts

google it, maybe you can find the truth, im to high to bother with google!

hahaha

Drugs, my anti-work.

Laemel

Laemel

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
There was a study about this stuff done a while ago:
http://www.maps.org/...3/06359mj1.html

What they found (as I understand it) is that THC gets filtered out easier than tar, therefore the more filtration you have, the worse THC to tar ratio you have. You have less tar total, yes, but you have MORE tar for a given amount of THC. Unfiltered pipes/joints actually have the best THC:Tar ratio. Bongs are worse for your lungs for other reasons too, such as the fact that they cool down the smoke and so you can take huge hits really deep into your lungs.

If you're really concerned with saving your lungs, water isn't an effective way to do it. Water just makes it more pleasant to smoke. If you want it to be healthier, get a vaporizer or learn to cook or something.

RynO

RynO

College Liberal

• Registered Upgraded
  • 139 posts
There's nothing healthy about inhaling smoke. It's always going to be bad for you regardless of whether it's from a bong, joint, cigarette, etc. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs.

Don't even worry about the statistics. If you're worried about your health then don't smoke. If you think the pro's of smoking outweigh the con's then by all means, smoke.
  • WL-Jeff likes this

WL-Jeff

WL-Jeff

My Nissan > Your Car

• Old School
  • 1,171 posts

Don't even worry about the statistics. If you're worried about your health then don't smoke. If you think the pro's of smoking outweigh the con's then by all means, smoke.

well said RynO, +rep

wDonnel

wDonnel

Bong Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 462 posts

There was a study about this stuff done a while ago:
http://www.maps.org/...3/06359mj1.html

What they found (as I understand it) is that THC gets filtered out easier than tar, therefore the more filtration you have, the worse THC to tar ratio you have. You have less tar total, yes, but you have MORE tar for a given amount of THC. Unfiltered pipes/joints actually have the best THC:Tar ratio. Bongs are worse for your lungs for other reasons too, such as the fact that they cool down the smoke and so you can take huge hits really deep into your lungs.

If you're really concerned with saving your lungs, water isn't an effective way to do it. Water just makes it more pleasant to smoke. If you want it to be healthier, get a vaporizer or learn to cook or something.

thats the biggest myth, thc does not get filtered out with a water bong, its just some more propaganda from ant-drug campaigners, using pseudo-science, that sorta make sense theoretically but is not backed up by any scientific reasearch.
bongs only filter out tar and carcinogens, i dont know what percent, but with a diffuser the amount of carcinogens filtered out is greatest. so if you worried about tar get a diffusor, and dont worry how much depth of water the smoke bubbles go through. you just want to make sure the most surface area-to volume of the smoke bubble is exposed to water, and you get an optimum amount with scientific bongs like a Roor, or hurricane, with a diffusor

HerbsINtheBurbs

HerbsINtheBurbs

Spread Green Love

• Old School
  • 4,137 posts

thats the biggest myth, thc does not get filtered out with a water bong, its just some more propaganda from ant-drug campaigners, using pseudo-science, that sorta make sense theoretically but is not backed up by any scientific reasearch.
bongs only filter out tar and carcinogens, i dont know what percent, but with a diffuser the amount of carcinogens filtered out is greatest. so if you worried about tar get a diffusor, and dont worry how much depth of water the smoke bubbles go through. you just want to make sure the most surface area-to volume of the smoke bubble is exposed to water, and you get an optimum amount with scientific bongs like a Roor, or hurricane, with a diffusor

That study was undertaken and written up by NORML man...

wDonnel

wDonnel

Bong Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 462 posts
d'oh

Goosie

Goosie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 279 posts
THC isnt water-soluable tho... tar is. So the THC wount dissolve in water, it just keeps rising up and out of the water. So the tar gets filtered out while the THC keeps rising up into your lungs... a bong is a lot healthier than a blunt or joint. but if your concerned about smoking and still wanna get high then buy a vaporizer :)

wDonnel

wDonnel

Bong Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 462 posts

THC isnt water-soluable tho... tar is. So the THC wount dissolve in water, it just keeps rising up and out of the water. So the tar gets filtered out while the THC keeps rising up into your lungs... a bong is a lot healthier than a blunt or joint. but if your concerned about smoking and still wanna get high then buy a vaporizer :)

that was my basis of reasoning,

and its undisputable that THC isnt water-soluble

recondite

recondite

• Registered Upgraded
  • 161 posts

and its undisputable that THC isnt water-soluble

Actually, it's untrue that THC is insoluble in water. According to Wikipedia:

THC has a very low solubility in water, but a good solubility in most organic solvents such as pure ethanol or hexane.
Solubility (water): 2.8 mg/L (23 °C)

Also,

Cannabis can also be consumed as a tea. THC is lipophilic and only a little water soluble with a solubility of only a few grams per litre, but enough to make a tea effective. Water-based infusion is generally considered to be inefficient.

So, yes, I think it's possible that a bong will filter out some THC. Whether hitting a bong is a less-safe way to smoke weed than other methods, I don't know. I thought the idea behind that study, however, was that THC molecules are so sticky that they bind to the tar molecules and are thus filtered out with them.

MrLanky

MrLanky

• Registered Upgraded
  • 144 posts
thanks for the info. I really wanted to ask the question more out of curiosity rather than it affecting my choice to smoke. I dont think anyone who smokes marijuana will likely ever get cancer, or at least a fatal case, but it is still interesting to know. Some of my friends use bongs other pipes and other joints though my favorite way is by far cooking brownies.

Lexus_Rolla

Lexus_Rolla

Ri-goddamned-diculous

• Old School
  • 869 posts
I figure if one must smoke water is probably the best filter that exists in the world. After looking at water in Biology in great detail I'm convinced that it is the greatest filter we could use on this planet. I use water in my pipes every time as I'm trying to take good care of myself. I did a lung test in my lab class a few weeks ago and according to the chart based on my height my lungs are above average.

Even after a year of chronic smoking, but through water. That's all the data I need personally. I will continue to use water every time I smoke as I feel it is worth it and contributes to a more healthy life-style that includes smoking. Until my CBRX kit gets here and then its THC pills until I die.

Offspring123

Offspring123

Waiting For My Ruca

• Old School
  • 753 posts
I don't care about the bong studies. If I smoke a gram of weed out of a pipe and then a gram of weed out of a bong, I get higher from a bong. That's all I need to know.

emrandel

emrandel

Old School Stoner

• Old School
  • 2,076 posts
That one joint is equal to five cigarettes is a total myth. You're not ever going to get lung cancer from smoking pot. Ever. Any damage that pot MAY do to you... is entirely counter balanced by THC's anti-tumoral properties. It's the cigarettes that fuck you up. So if you never want to get cancer and still smoke cigarettes. Smoke American Spirits (lacking many of the toxins/additives in regular cigarettes) and smoke the good home grown (possibly organic) chronic.

Offspring123

Offspring123

Waiting For My Ruca

• Old School
  • 753 posts
Emrandel, where did you get the anti-tumoral information? I want to see this...

Hardsmoker

Hardsmoker

Jazz addict

• Registered Upgraded
  • 434 posts
/\
Dude... wtf?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users