Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using a Pressure Cooker to make cannaoil ???

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by gangeefried718, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Would it be possible to use a pressure cooker to make cannaoil?

What I was thinking about trying was...

take 1/3 cup coconut oil and 8 grams cleaned herb
    add that to a pint mason jar and seal it up
    pressure cook for ___?___ minutes

would this work ??? :confused:

or have I smoked one too many bowls today and just need to go to bed :p

2. My only concern would be that the increased pressure increases temperature and could potentially vaporize/degrade some of your cannabinoids. Water boils and creates steam at 212 degrees F. At 15psi however, you would be cooking at 257 degrees F.

I cant recall the vaporization point of THC and other cannabinoids but i believe you are unnecessarily adding variables (+heat, PSI) to the situation when they are not needed for adequate extraction.

3. Yea, like i said it was just a passing thought ... more or less

Wouldn't the fact that the oil/herb was in a sealed container, prevent any evaporation of the thc?

Again Im just looking for some feedback before I attempt this (if I attempt this)

I got the idea from looking at this group of pictures a few weeks back

4. From what I can find ... THC evaporates @ ~300-325f
    And it looks like 15psi = ~250f so I really don't see why this wouldn't work.
    I've made cannaoil in the oven @ 250F for ~ 1 hour and had good results.

I will ponder this a bit and do some more reading on the subject.
    I would really like to hear more input from GC on this as well.

If I'm treading on new ground here ...
    I have no problem trying this ... for Science !!! :p

:hello:

5. I use a sealed can for my vg @190 for 12 hrs works just fine

6. Not asking about any other method of making oil man...sorry :wave:

7. sealed can / pressure cooker sounds the same to me.

8. Sorry but its not.

Unless your talking about 190c.

If your only getting to 190f then there isn't any pressure to it at all ;)

9. #9 gangeefried718, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    Alright, after lots of reading, talking with people and lots more reading.

I can't find any reason why using a PC wouldn't work.
    I've had many people tell me ... Don't try it, you're adding a variable that's not needed
    Well....heat really isn't needed to make cannaoil either but it helps

So I tried yesterday it with some vaped weed and it definitely wasn't a failure :hello:

I added ~30g vaped herb to 1/2 cup coconut oil and PD'd for ~60 minutes at 15psi
    My only real issue was trying to keep the oil/herb mix stirred whilst in the PC.
    I made a decent scaffolding with bamboo skewers and aluminum pie pans
    but I believe that i can do a better job keeping it stirred with a different method

My next attempt will be with a regular batch of herb/oil
    a lower pressure (5psi rather than 15) and an improved stirring method.

I have faith that this can work, and work well.

Once I've eaten this batch of brownies.
    I will attempt this and report back ;)

10. so why would psi make your oil better. with my sealed can I keep all vapors and my vg makes killer brownies but never made oil in it this could be fun and will report back

11. Im hoping that the pressure (like heat) will aid in the extraction process.

I can't find any reason why it wouldn't help
    and no one seems to have tried it before .... so here we are ;)

12. [quote name='"gangeefried718"']Im hoping that the pressure (like heat) will aid in the extraction process.

I can't find any reason why it wouldn't help
    and no one seems to have tried it before .... so here we are ;)[/quote]

Look on youtube, theres a few tutorials on how to use a pressure cooker for cannaoil, ive only tried one time with trim, works about as well as cooking in a 'sealed' container, a little easier to use if you have a lot to process

13. I'm wondering the same thing but I wanted to Use Alcohol use the traditional method, rinse frozen nugs and trim with really cold alcohol then put that in the pressure cooker and hope that it vaporizes the alcohol leaving me with oil. Any feedback on that idea

14. Have you perfected the art of the pressure cooker? I recently got one for food and now I'd like to try it for making cannabis oil because I think it'll be a faster method. Did you always try it with decarbed bud? Also, did you find stirring to be necessary?