Vermicompost Production Bins

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LumperDawgz2, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Yes sir I have netflix for now anyways haha.. Oh and not to intrude on the convo but I can only hope to look like her at 74! dang talk about aging gracefully.

2. DownGirl

Check out Blake Edward's "What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?"

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this film. Great comedy and satire.

LD

3. What would one need to do with one of these during the winter months. i live in the NE so i have to deal with snow and freezing temps all winter long:eek:. i wouldnt be able to put one at my apartment but im sure i could stash it at my parents house for my brother to use for his garden:devious:.

Also are these able to be stored like store bought castings? if they are i am deff putting one up at my parents.:smoke:

4. Mike,

The plans come with an optional heater drawing that is just for folks like you that live in cold climates.

When fully charged, the units we built will hold up to 36 lbs of worms and produce 1-1.5 cu/ft a week so you'd have to have a plan for storing. If it were me, I'd sell extra on craigslist to offset your costs. You can store your castings for quite a while. try not to let it dry out, and store in an aerated container.

If its airtight it could go anaerobic on you. You might consider opting for a smaller unit, maybe a 2x2 or a 2x4. Just a thought.

chunkj

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ziggy Marley - Tomorrow People, Look Who's Dancing, Love is My Religion, Still the Storms

What a night! I didn't realize that reggae concerts drew so many stoners. I was shocked - shocked I tell you!

LD

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. [​IMG]

Just dropping in after a few months' absence, saying hi, how are ya guys!

it sounds like a HUGE amount of worm castings you guys are planning on producing! With winter coming, I can't imagine that you actually use 1ft^3 each week for just an indoor garden...what are you gys gonna do with all of the excess? are people around you guys so willing to use worm castings that some dude bagged up in his garage?

of course, we all know you do it right and likely put out a product superior to just about any commercially available castings.

7. What's shakin' p_snickers?......long time and a big welcome back. We won't be using a cu/ft a week in our medical gardens, but we want to make sure we have plenty for our veggie gardens next spring.

Not only that, but once these are charged and running, it won't be until Jan/Feb until we'll even attempt to harvest.

With a diet of our home made composts, horse and poultry manure combined with rock dust, alfalfa meal, crab meal, neem and karanja meal, kelp meal.......our castings will be top shelf for sure.

I will also donate castings to a couple of MMJ patients I work with to help them with their gardens.

Take care,

chuink

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Same here - primarily for vegetable garden starts and seedlings, etc.

Donations to friends, the good folks at the organic farm store will be getting enough to get their organic gardens off the ground, etc. There's always a need for quality castings and the cost of production is really, really small.

LD

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. After seeing the demise of some of our once "must have" local bagged compost/castings, it's high time I/we put ourselves in a position of self sufficiency.

It's a sad day when a small company with a great product succumbs to the almighty dollar when staying true would have been more profitable in the end.

chunk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

10. That's what it's all about - self sufficiency. The humus situation in the PNW due to the high number of organic farmers and especially gardeners - the more that this dynamic grows the harder it is to find quality compost much less worm castings.

"Keep your friends close but keep your humus sources even closer"

L.D. Corleone

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Here's a close up of the screen/grate on the worm bins:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nice job!!!!

Very professional on every detail!

LD

13. Thanks!.........it's almost a shame to load it full of horse shit. Naught!

• Like Like x 1
  14. LOL - I hear ya!

15. Is it too late to ask for a color change? I thought the grey color would be a bit different and I'm afraid the current color will clash with mess in my garage.

Let me know...........

LD

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I was thinkin' somethin' like this:

[​IMG]

But then I thought you might misplace it it in your garage....LMAO!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Chunk

I'm planning on putting up photos at Bentley's place. Those folks over there like looking at professional worm bins and they usually offer good solid advice and suggestions.

The fact that these bins will be charged with European Nightcrawlers (big deal, IMHO), Red Worms and Malaysian Blues should generate a lot of interest with other worm wranglers.

LD

• Like Like x 1
  18. That's a great idea.....it'll be nice to get some perspective from those that have been doing it full time for a while. What's the deal with the European's? Don't they stay deeper in the bin and re-process the redworm castings or something like that?

chunk

19. Euro's are great worms for fishermen. They get much larger than even the largest Red Worms and they tend to stay at the bottom of the bin. For a coffin type box that's a good thing in that they 'finish' the organic matter more completely.

Because they're larger they also produce larger castings than Red Worms.

So see? I'm not a hater about Euros.

Here's why I want to get them out of my bin. Because they are bottom feeders you can see how they're not such a good deal for vertical flow-through bins. That will also make culling them easier when the harvesting begins in ernest. Or maybe even February.

THen there's the reproduction rate - about 60% of Red Worms and < 33% of the Malaysian Blues.

The Malaysian Blues are one of the smallest composting worms used around the world. A fully developed adult is only 2.75 inches. Their small size is the reason you read so much misinformation about them. If you're raising large worms to sell to anglers then having Blues in the bin is problematic given their consumption and reproduction rates. And they're aggressive which is actually a good thing because they like to lay on the very surface whereas the Red Worms will work a deeper and thicker layer in the bedding.

LD

20. Looking real nice... do the worms stay in the bins or is there a system if they fall out?

put me on the list for extra castings. can't beat that top shelf stuff!

Oh and I dig the camo idea. Militant worm castings ha ha.