When to harvest to maximize THC

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Gardenmaster, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Very Cool Experiment

2. It looks like you are correct, I thought I could go back and do it, but you must have a time limit to edit posts.

I would love to know the same thing, I might add this to the experiment, but it's going to be costly as each test is going to run me $45.

It is getting close and I am getting excited, I found a new lab that is willing to run the tests for me Canna Labs USA. Another edit to my orginal post, I said they will be cured in 65% darkness, should have been 65 degs and 100% dark.

Canna Labs uses gas chromatography as opposed to liquid chromatography. The bigest difference is that the sample will have to be vaporized so all the THC acid will be converted to THC for the sample, where a liquid chromatography test would tell you how much is THC-A and how much is THC. Anyway I am starting to drift too far off subject here, the Cannabinoid profile report will test for just the three major of over sixty Cannabinoids:

THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol): The main psychoactive compound found in cannabis. For recreational use this is the one that makes you laugh until you sides split, amplifies colors, feelings (emotional and physical) and just make life that much better. Medically it can be used for nausea, vomiting, PMS, cancer prevention, chemotherapy tolerance, Alzheimers prevention, along with treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression.

CBD (Cannabidiol): Usually the second most present cannabinoid found in cannabis. This doesn't have a huge recreational use, although it also works much as a sedative leaving you with a "couch lock" feeling. Most true medicinal users of marijuana look for higher CBD strains because it has anti-inflammatory properties, cancer fighting properties, relives chronic pain and helps with many physiological disorders.

CBN (Cannabinol): This is the metabolite of THC and will increase as THC is exposed to light and heat. It is not very psychoactive and in some studies shown to be 30X weaker than THC. I am expecting the numbers here to be close to zero and then increase in the cured samples.

3. :hello:SCIENCE:hello:
    subbed:smoke:

4. How'd the first harvest go? Everything still on track?

5. Subbed, hopefully in time? Halloween has passed, is the experiment in full swing?

6. Everything is on track, the first plant was chopped on 10/31, dried until 11/04 and has been in jars for 7 days, it's going to the lab tonight.

Plant #2 was chopped on 11/05, was hanging up for 4 days and has been in jars for 2 days.

Plant #3 was chopped on 11/10 and is currently drying.

I will have up pictures and full results from the first chop on Monday.

7. Couldn't pass this one up!

8. Awsome stuff I'm watching :)

9. Back with the results from Plant #1:

1.) Harvested on day #60 of flowering

2.) Resin glands after examination of 200 glands under 30X to 50X magnification (and a splitting headache):
    7% amber
    64% clear
    29% cloudy

3.) Stigma most are still showing to be fully fertile, very erect and completely white. About 15% have turned to a orange or red color completely with the remaining 25% being partially changed.

4.) Seed bracts - this one is hard to tell with a visual check, but all of them appear to be swollen and are uniform in size.

Flowers were trimmed, then dried for 5 days and cured for 7. I got very lucky and found a lab that is willing to run the test for almost free because they are just as interested in the results - so here they are for the first plant:

THC - 21.4%
    CBD - 2.0%
    CBN - 0.0%

Here is the sample sent to the lab:
    [​IMG]

And the harvest from the first plant:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Very cool. Are the percentages by weight?

11. Subbed up, great work so far bro!!! Finally some real science!!! THANK YOU SIRR!!!

12. #34 jrbobdobbs, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
    I guess if the measurement is 100% of all present THC, CBD, and CBN then I'm uncertain about what 21.4% THC represents? For example: if there were 0% CBN, the total distribution measurement should be something pretty close to 91% THC, 9% CBD and 0% CBN.

But if the intention is to measure the percentages of THC, CBD and CBN that are present in the samples against a possible measurement of 100% for each of them, this presents an interesting situation. Since we don't know how close a plant can physically get to 100% percent saturation, this test will help to establish some sort of a baseline for future experiments. For our purposes, it may be helpful to look at the percentage distribution both ways: total distribution and individual saturation levels. Who knows? It could turn out that the best results can be achieved by understanding the most effective ratio between the three, rather than some percentages that are likely to fluctuate erratically and be hard to interpret. It will be a lot of fun to stand back and analyze three or four of these results.

13. Testing is I believe they vaporize it and that the % of thc in that vapor. Along with CBD and CBN. It wouldn't be 100% any of it because when you vaporize bud you are getting more than just thc, CBD and CBN. There's also different testing methods that can give you slightly different numbers. Anyone correct me on that if I'm wrong please.

What would also be interesting it maybe sending a sample to a different lab that tests using a different method and see what the results may be.

14. You are correct. They vape it in a aspecially enclosed chamber, the smoke ismeasured for the chemical signs and they only show you those % because no one cares what percentage is plant matter. If a bud is 22% thc no matter if you get a zip or a gram it will allways be 22% thc

15. 22% thc is very high and keep in mind that this sample was harvested 10 days early

THC %
    10-15% average
    15-20% above average
    20-25% high

wont see much above 25%

16. #38 jrbobdobbs, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for explaining that the lab is only measuring the percentages of THC, CBD and CBN in each sample's vapor and that it's some other unrelated ingredients which make up any remaining percentages. Now that I have a better understanding of what we are looking at, it will be more interesting to see the lab reports. It makes a lot of sense to look at just these three items and not confuse things with a lot of unrelated stuff that would be hard to interpret. I know that this was explained in the beginning but I was just too dense to get it the first time.

17. This thread delivers.

18. The % is a % of the total mass (less water). It is found using mass spectrometry.

From Wiki:
    1.) A sample is loaded onto the MS instrument, and undergoes vaporization
    2.) The components of the sample are ionized by one of a variety of methods (e.g., by impacting them with an electron beam), which results in the formation of charged particles (ions)
    3.) The ions are separated according to their mass-to-charge ratio in an analyzer by electromagnetic fields
    4.) The ions are detected, usually by a quantitative method
    5.) The ion signal is processed into mass spectra

The lab I took this to said this is one of the most potent samples they have ever seen. I am excited to see the results from #2, I should have them tomorrow afternoon.