the film "Waking Life" discusses everything we do in here

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 89359, Sep 29, 2011.

1. From the nature of the cosmos, to the acceleration of Human evolution, to where we are today in the modern world.

we have been fighting to survive on this rock for a long time now. Now, that we are finally here, we are scared of the truth.

"escaping velocity"

good quotes (wish i could find the clip)And things are just starting.

"A thousand years is but an instant.
    There's nothing new, nothing different. The same pattern over and over.
    The same clouds, the same music,
    the same insight felt an hour or an eternity ago.
    There's nothing here for me now, nothing at all.
    Now I remember. This happened to me before. This is why I left.
    You have begun to find your answers.
    Although it will seem difficult, the rewards will be great.
    Exercise your human mind as thoroughly as possible,
    knowing it is only an exercise.
    Build beautiful artifacts, solve problems,
    explore the secrets of the physical universe.
    Savor the input from all the senses.
    Feel the joy and sorrow, the laughter, the empathy, compassion...
    and tote the emotional memory in your travel bag.
    I remember where I came from and how I became a human.
    Why I hung around. And now my final departure is scheduled.
    This way out. Escaping velocity.
    Not just eternity, but infinity"

Hey, old man, what you doing up there? - 2I'm not sure.
    You need any help getting down, sir?
    No, I don't think so.
    Stupid bastard.
    No worse than us. He's all action and no theory.
    We're all theory and no actions.

2. Yea, I really enjoyed that film. Some of the visuals were mind-boggling. All of the visuals were great but certain scenes are just visually epic.

3. Amazing movie! :D

4. Love this scene!

Can't forget the next part...

Why so glum, Mr. Debord?

What was missing was felt irretrievable. The extreme uncertainties of subsisting without working made excesses necessary and breaks definitive. To quote Stevenson: "Suicide carried off many. Drink and the devil took care of the rest."

5. [quote name='"AresKenux"']

Love this scene!

Can't forget the next part...

Why so glum, Mr. Debord?

What was missing was felt irretrievable. The extreme uncertainties of subsisting without working made excesses necessary and breaks definitive. To quote Stevenson: "Suicide carried off many. Drink and the devil took care of the rest."[/quote]

"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.

Did you ever have a job that you hated and worked real hard at? A long, hard day of work. Finally you get to go home, get in bed, close your eyes and immediately you wake up and realize... that the whole day at work had been a dream. It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

6. Great movie! Anyone knows about other good films similar to this one??

7. A Scanner Darkly is pretty similar, animation-wise. It does have alot of deep meaning to it too. So if you havent seen that I highly suggest it.

Waking Life is amazing, I wrote a thread a couple months back on it, filled with amazing concepts and realizations.

8. (Almost) anything else by Richard Linklater. At least check out Slacker (basically an un-animated prequel to Waking Life,) Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and, as someone else suggested, A Scanner Darkly (though this should already be on your viewing list because it's based on a Philip K Dick Novel!)

Charlie Kaufman is also an excellent film-maker when it comes to completely-change-your-life movies, but he dissects his philosophies quite a bit more subtly (or at least he has begun to in his more recent films.) I'd start off by checking out Synecdoche NY, Adaptation and Being John Malkovich.

If the quickfire almost-cartoonish style is your thing then you could check out The Holy Mountain. It's one of the strangest movies you'll ever see hands down, but it will make you think if you can sit through it.

Gaspar Noe has also definitely gotten up there with the levels of mindfuckage in his last film, Enter the Void. If you're into philosophy, psychedelia, Daft Punk, and a whole lot of sex then this is the movie for you. If you sat through it and actually liked it, consider checking out Irreversible as well.

So many more I could name, but these^ are some personal favorites....though I'm not entirely sure anyone else on the planet shares my taste in media...