Cold water during flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by edwardvanhalen, Sep 27, 2011.

1. I read that giving a plant cold water in the last couple weeks of flower will bring out more color. This was from a strain so it is true and i never heard of it. It might be for just the one strain i read about but how much colder should the water be. Peace

2. [quote name='"edwardvanhalen"']I read that giving a plant cold water in the last couple weeks of flower will bring out more color. This was from a strain so it is true and i never heard of it. It might be for just the one strain i read about but how much colder should the water be. Peace[/quote]

Mainly for purple plants. Have only seen it done in hydro and it does bring out alot of color. Haven't seen it done with soil grows but you could always freeze cure your buds and that will make the color pop.

3. Anyone tried this in soil?

4. Yeah, it works. Toss a layer of ice on top of the dirt and water with ice water for the last for days to a week. It can bring out purples in even not purple strains and it will really make the purple ones pop. It can also bring out the blue hues in blue strains and make orange and red hairs more vibrant. Aside from color, which is really meaningless, it also makes the plant think winter is coming and forces it to through out a protective last ditch effort layer of trichomes. I love doing ice water flushes on my plants.

5. i gotta spread some rep but i never thought about this! i bet itll work on my indica really well too because i heard they are more likely and predisposed to go purple right??:D

6. I will for sure try this!!!

7. Wow this sounds really good man. Do u flush 2 weeks before harvest then wait a week to put the layer of ice on top of the soil? I'm gonna have to do this, just needed a lil more detail. Thanks. Peace

8. Oh nice. Good thread here, never really thought about that. But I think I'm going to give that a try! Doesn't hurt to have some nice purple buds!!

9. [quote name='"BeefyGrower"']Oh nice. Good thread here, never really thought about that. But I think I'm going to give that a try! Doesn't hurt to have some nice purple buds!![/quote]

Can only help as I see it

10. Hmmm, I'm of the school to do what is best for the plants and soil, what they respond to best, and you will get the biggest harvest of best quality possible that way, regardless of what color the buds are. Subjecting plants to cold just to get purple color is a fool's errand IMO, you only hurt your yield for something of no benefit.

11. That's why you only do it for the last few days, to avoid loss of yield or shocking the plant for any extended amount of time. And it's not just for color. This method increases potency too. It was taught to me by the owner of my favorite canna club, who I trust as a grower more than anyone on this planet.

12. music to my ears, ill try with the new ones.

13. #13 mjmama25, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    Yeah, I do my normal amount of flush time, then do the ice water the last few days of the flush. It's not guaranteed to bring out purples in every strain, but if it has the potential to purple, this will bring it out.

14. I think its kinda stupid too but it does increase bag appeal. You can leave her outside at night if you live in a colder climate if yyou don't want to go the water route.

15. I'm going to try this. I'm about 3 weeks into veg right now but def going to try this when the time comes!!!!!

Peace!

16. #16 chittyAdvice, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    The reason why people do ice water flushes, is to purposly shock their plants. This will cause the plant to shit out more resin and trichs during the last 2 weeks of flower.

17. ... and to bring out purple

18. hmm never heard of this.. heard that low night time temps can bring on purple hues depending on strain.. keep us informed!

19. mjmama25 said it best. She knows what's up! :D

20. Yes KB, we're aware of the fact that it promotes purple colors. But again, that's not why people do it.