Magic Flight Launch Box vs Iolite

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Blunt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Guy looks like Vitolo.

And I just ordered some Powerex 2700's. Should come in tomorrow, so I'll be vaping hard!

2. I've tried both and they both function perfectly well, but the iolite makes noise, is big and takes time to warm up whereas the MFLB is silent, tiny, and heats up almost instantly.

The MFLB also has a lifetime warranty, im not sure how iolites warranty stacks up. I don't own either but if I were to buy a portable tomorrow it would be the MFLB

3. Iolite > Magic Flight box any day. Used both, flight box can suck Bigfoot's hairy asshole.

4. mflb>iolite no question. its perfect for getting ripped ninja mode, and the post above that says the stem gets clogged, wtf does that even mean. Yeah my stem got coated on the inside by "honey" but it didnt make it function any worse

5. I can tell you haven't tried the mflb. If you did, you wouldn't of written this ;)

6. I can tell you're not psychic, because I have used the mflb.

I've used both MFLB and the Iolite, and I prefer the latter. For me, iolite worked way better than mflb. It vaped the weed way better and mflb just made everything smell shitty >__>

But that's just my opinion. I have used more than one mflb btw, so my qualms with it's function aren't because of a manufacturing error, I just prefer iolite.

7. #27 tonster0161, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
    MFLB > iolite any day. Used both, iolite can suck bigfoot's hairy asshole.

EDIT:maybe you weren't using the mflb right?its easy to use if you watch a video or two on the proper technique to hit it,but if you dont know how to and just put it your lips and suck i guarantee,you wont have a good experience with it.

8. Put down another vote for the MLFB. Best discreet vape on the planet! Trust me...I've tested it in A LOT of situations that require discretion! You DO NOT need the stem etc. to vape with the MFLB. Every AM, I pocket the wooden box (slightly bigger than a book of matches) and a battery. You can easily put them in the palm of your hand an NOBODY can even tell you have anything. Now, I can vape at stop lights, driving down the road, or sitting in my office chair while looking out the window. Love it!

I won't comment on the function of the Iolite, but it is MUCH LESS discrete then the MFLB.

9. At first I thought the price of the mflb was too steep.. I'm so glad I bought it and I would buy it a million times more!

I love my mflb!

10. I know it's already been said a lot but just in case it hasn't MFLB all the way. I've heard a lot of negatives of the Iolite but there isn't a thing i don't like about the MFLB

11. #31 Pngwyn, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
    I have owned both, Iolite for about a year, and MFLB for about 3 months now, here's what I've found.. personal opinions, mind you:

Iolite:
    Consistent, good temp, never combust
    Minor smell of butane, but never feeling of direct inhalation of butane
    Fairly subtle, but creates pretty loud air noises when it's heating up, so not so subtle in that respect
    bigger than MFLB
    1 Butane Fillup lasts for more bowls than 1 Battery will, maybe even 2 or 3.

MFLB:
    Variable temp, user controlled (this could be a plus or minus, depending on the user and what situations)
    Learning Curve to draw from.. I still find myself accidentally combusting from time to time
    Amazingly Portable, Amazingly subtle, would use this over Iolite if I needed to ninja-vape any day of the week

Overall for a portable vape I think the MFLB wins, but both are pretty great vapes. The worst part is the battery life, but besides that it's really great and you don't have to carry butane with you. The other downside is it makes you work a little more for your high, trying to do the correct draws and correct amount of heating while the Iolite has this all pre-regulated.

They are both around the same price, and I wouldn't go as far as saying one is significantly more superior than the other. Maybe if I had more experience with my MFLB and was more comfortable hitting it I would strongly suggest it over the Iolite, but as for now I believe they are just two different kinds of portable vapes, both with pros and cons.

I would love to see what people say about the Iolite 2 or whispr, or whatever it's called, but the fact is it's selling around $250-300, and I would definitely say 3x MFLB > 1x Iolite with upgrades.

Plus, anyone feel that the overall appearance of the new Iolite is a DOWNGRADE from what it used to look like?

AND -- It's called a wispr, but it's still as loud if not louder than the original.. at least that's what I got from this review on it.. kinda ironic:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIL5nCXcvIU[/ame]

12. Not digging that new design at all. Nice hit, but you can get hits like that with the Launch Box if you use it right.

13. I have a lot of love for the iolite but has anyone had one in operation for more than two years? My experience with it has been this: When I first ordered the unit it only ran at about half capacity or less of what they advertised (2hrs per fill). Iolite replaced the unit but now the one they replaced it with has died after a little over a year. I contacted iolite and was told that because the original purchase date was over two years ago I'm SOL. Not very nice as the replacement unit should've had the better part of a year's worth of warranty on it. Since they're being dicks about it I got a Launch Box instead. However, I'm not quite as impressed with this unit despite the fact that it does not hiss or use butane. It's just not as economic as the iolite for use. I can vape for a good half hour on a single bowl with the iolite and get good, strong vape for the bulk of that time often whereas the launch box maybe 10 minutes, if I'm lucky. And you have to remember to push the battery in and out because if left in it will burn your herb. Ultimately, it doesn't heat it evenly and slowly enough to provide for sustained vaping. The relatively few hits it does provide compared to the iolite are decent though, probably better than the iolite actually. I just wish it had a timed heating element that eliminated the need to pull the battery out all the time. I'd like to get another iolite but not if it's just going to go kaput after the warranty expires. Some people seem to like the NO2 but it seems pretty big to me. Any ideas, suggestions and input will be appreciated.

14. [quote name='"tonster0161"']

MFLB > iolite any day. Used both, iolite can suck bigfoot's hairy asshole.

EDIT:maybe you weren't using the mflb right?its easy to use if you watch a video or two on the proper technique to hit it,but if you dont know how to and just put it your lips and suck i guarantee,you wont have a good experience with it.[/quote]

Its ok dude, not everyone needs to like it

15. #35 hd2000, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    How about the Arizer Solo? Battery, simple, silent, and still small. It still costs more than the MFLB, but the difference in price isn't what it used to be. I got mine for about $150 and for the 30-35 dollar difference in the price, I got a much more advanced vape. It is not as small as the MFLB, but in my opinion that's about the only advantage the MFLB has over the Solo. When they first came out, the price prevented me from considering the Solo, but recent sales and the general lowering of the price has made the Solo much more attractive. Keep an open mind and check one out. At any rate, if you are still set on MFLB vs Iolite, I'd go with the MFLB.

16. Hey, thanks! While I've heard of the company I didn't know they made a portable now. It looks cool and seems to be getting decent reviews. I like the fact that it's made in Canada and has a lifetime warranty on the heater. Given what happened to my iolite I wish it extended to the whole unit but it does look pretty solidly built. I'm seeing them for about $175 cheapest on ebay (with shipping) which is not too bad. Perhaps I'll give it a go. You seem to like it. Is there any taste that the unit itself imparts to the vapor? How long can you vape on a single bowl?

17. MFLB all the way.. I cannot compare with the iolite.. but anything that comes with a lifetime warranty that covers user error.. aka stupidity.. great! I think a majority of people who don't like the mflb never truly learned how to use it correctly.. it has a learning curve that can be frustrating to say the least.. but once you got a good technique down.. you're golden

18. If you're replying to my suggestion for the Solo, then check on Amazon. You can get it even cheaper yet. I paid 155 shipping included. I've tried the MFLB and it's a great little product, BUT, it does not compare with some of the other portables for it's pure vapor producing capability. It requires a learning curve and even at best, it produces vapor that is inferior to something like a SSV or the EQ. What the Solo produces is much closer to being in that level. Granted, you lose a lot of the stealth features of the MFLB, but for me anyway, it wasn't a deal breaker. Solo is no more obvious than something like the Iolite, so if one of those is stealth enough for you, the Solo should be OK in that regard. I like the battery life, the clean look, and the performance for sure. Originally the close to 300 price tag on the Solo was to rich for my blood, but at 155, I pulled the trigger and compared to my experiance with the MFLB, I got a good deal. I'm not sorry I went with the Solo.

19. It is the focus on technique and lack of sustained, controlled vaporization that's got me questioning my purchase of the mflb. Don't get me wrong, it's not crap; it's just that I find you can only use small pinches for the best performance and I only get about 3-4 decent hits per fill. I've already ignited a couple times too. No, I want something that I can turn on and just enjoy while having a coffee or tea. The mflb is a bit too much of a fiddlefest for that. Based on the feedback I've been reading I probably should've gone with the arizer solo. Sounds like the right tool for that job. Oh well, live and learn. I'll probably order one soon if I can get a decent price on it and try to resell my mflb. I'll write my thoughts on it here when I do.

20. Unfortunately, it's not available through Amazon.ca We get screwed (i.e., pay more) for everything in Canada, which is why I most often order stuff through ebay ; >