First Grow : Short Stuff Onyx, CFL, Rubbermaid

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by flwr, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Don't let it get you down man. I did the same thing with my first run, worried, read, tried to fix, made it worse, worried more. And all I ended up with was a plant that stretched waaaaaay too much, had burned tips and was left with only mediocre bud. I guarantee if show them a bit of love, but not over due it, they will turn out just fine.

2. Thanks Ponsrow.

Not too much you can do with them now. Watering once a week is pretty much it lol. Too young for nutes and didn't like an extra CFL turned on. Just checking on temps and humidity, and that they are still green.

3. [quote name='"flwr"']Thanks Ponsrow.

Not too much you can do with them now. Watering once a week is pretty much it lol. Too young for nutes and didn't like an extra CFL turned on. Just checking on temps and humidity, and that they are still green.[/quote]

This stage is the hardest part for me! Seems like slow motion till they hit that growth spurt..you'll do great..just keep an eye on everything. I'm rootn for ya! =)

4. No pun intended. haha

5. so.... how they doing?

6. Well, quite a bit has changed since I last posted.

My pH meter arrived in the mail. I pH'ed my tap water that had been sitting out for a week or so. This is what I have been watering with. The pH was 8.5. Fresh out of the faucet my lovely tap water is a whopping 9.7 pH. I bought some distilled water from the store, and it has a pH of 7.2. I will be lowering it to the desired range, and watering either today or tomorrow.

Well, I thought with high pH tap water that I had been feeding my runoff would be sky-high. I just tested runoff. I watered with pH 6.7 water. Runoff was 5.9 and 5.6. I was suprised it was so acidic. All that bark must be causing it. My pH meter is calibrated, and reads fine.

Due to extremely small plant size. I will be starting over. Want to finish off the tiny old plants just for the heck of it. I am still trying to decide where to put them. One is already flowering.

I have 3 more Onyx fem seeds, 1 fem Sour AK, and 1 fem Connie Chung. I think I will be trying the Onyx again. This time in correct soil with my Ph levels right!

I am ditching the distilled water. I will be using AmQuel Ammonia/Chlorine/Chloramine Remover in my tap water. Will try it combined with a bubbler. If pH is still too high I will use pH Down.

New soil is Roots Organic Potting Soil cut with lime and perlite. Also, will pick up some pH Down when at the hydro shop.

Went to the hydro store today. They were helpful and laid-back. Plus, they gave me a bunch of free stuff. They even had free cold sodas, and loaded everything in the car. Too bad it is sooo far away. I picked up a bag of Roots Organics Potting Soil, perlite, and pH down. I was given a package of Roots Organics Oregonism XL. Roots Organics - Oregonism XL I have been reading about it as I am not too sure about its application, etc. They were out of lime, but I can pick that up at Lowes.

One Onyx seed has sprouted already, and the other looks swollen like it's about to sprout. Tomorrow I should have them planted! Will include photos of the small stunted plants once my camera is charged.

7. Everything looks good man! Couldn't help but notice the name of Root Organics Oregonism :D Went to the site and sure enough it looks like it's a local company as well! Depending on where you're at around the town, the Ph tends to give problems. I was fine with my last grow last year, but now it's sky high, have to adjust every time. I've gotta know which shop this is that gives out free soda!?:yay:

8. [quote name='"flwr"']Well, quite a bit has changed since I last posted.

My pH meter arrived in the mail. I pH'ed my tap water that had been sitting out for a week or so. This is what I have been watering with. The pH was 8.5. Fresh out of the faucet my lovely tap water is a whopping 9.7 pH. I bought some distilled water from the store, and it has a pH of 7.2. I will be lowering it to the desired range, and watering either today or tomorrow.

Well, I thought with high pH tap water that I had been feeding my runoff would be sky-high. I just tested runoff. I watered with pH 6.7 water. Runoff was 5.9 and 5.6. I was suprised it was so acidic. All that bark must be causing it. My pH meter is calibrated, and reads fine.

Due to extremely small plant size. I will be starting over. Want to finish off the tiny old plants just for the heck of it. I am still trying to decide where to put them. One is already flowering.

I have 3 more Onyx fem seeds, 1 fem Sour AK, and 1 fem Connie Chung. I think I will be trying the Onyx again. This time in correct soil with my Ph levels right!

I am ditching the distilled water. I will be using AmQuel Ammonia/Chlorine/Chloramine Remover in my tap water. Will try it combined with a bubbler. If pH is still too high I will use pH Down.

New soil is Roots Organic Potting Soil cut with lime and perlite. Also, will pick up some pH Down when at the hydro shop.

Went to the hydro store today. They were helpful and laid-back. Plus, they gave me a bunch of free stuff. They even had free cold sodas, and loaded everything in the car. Too bad it is sooo far away. I picked up a bag of Roots Organics Potting Soil, perlite, and pH down. I was given a package of Roots Organics Oregonism XL. Roots Organics - Oregonism XL I have been reading about it as I am not too sure about its application, etc. They were out of lime, but I can pick that up at Lowes.

One Onyx seed has sprouted already, and the other looks swollen like it's about to sprout. Tomorrow I should have them planted! Will include photos of the small stunted plants once my camera is charged.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the lil one..it's happened to me a few times..I have a few new sprouts goin also. I just got a Gromedics tent on eBay lastnight soo I'll be using that for next journal..I might either save rubbermaids for autoflowers or give them to someone? I hope everything else is goin good..I pop in everyday to see how all the GC peeps are. Did you go to Progressive Gardens? I'm sooo bummed that their are NO hydro stores near me..they are the closest. I'm waitn for them to stock some new nutrients from this company X Nutrients. Their based on the west coast and have awesome products for waay less! Progressive is doin a side by side grow to see if they wanna carry the new line of X products. How much was the Roots Organics? I'm gettn really tired of buying stuff online n paying CRAZY shipping! Wow I just wrote you a book haha..sorry I'm home alone this morning and decided to wake n bake aaand yup I'm baked =) have a good day! ooh forgot to ask..where did ya get ph pen? Mine got stepped on...thanks

9. Your new sprouts look good! I am planning on picking up a grow tent by tax return time if not sooner. I will save the rubbermaid for some short autos.....maybe Short Stuff Himalaya Blue Diesel or Short Stuff Dr. Feelgood.

It was High Tech Garden Supply. I paid $16.95 for a 1.5 cu ft bag of Roots. Perlite was around $4 for 8 qt. Couldn't find any locally without any ferts in it. The pH down is a huge bottle for $10.95.

The pH pen was from here...pH pen It is the $13-14 yellow meter. It has been working well. It comes with two calibration pouches.

New seeds have barely germinated. Will plant them tomorrow.

10. Here are the two old Onyx. They are growing differently. One is larger leaved and more spaced out. The other has small leaves that are tightly bunched together. The larger leaved I believe is pre-flowering. I can see pistils. I am hoping the two things on the right top are leaves growing not a hermie. The smaller Onyx has two pistils I found on the stalk.

Attached Files:

11. [quote name='"flwr"']Your new sprouts look good! I am planning on picking up a grow tent by tax return time if not sooner. I will save the rubbermaid for some short autos.....maybe Short Stuff Himalaya Blue Diesel or Short Stuff Dr. Feelgood.

It was High Tech Garden Supply. I paid $16.95 for a 1.5 cu ft bag of Roots. Perlite was around $4 for 8 qt. Couldn't find any locally without any ferts in it. The pH down is a huge bottle for $10.95.

The pH pen was from here...pH pen It is the $13-14 yellow meter. It has been working well. It comes with two calibration pouches.

New seeds have barely germinated. Will plant them tomorrow.[/quote]

Sweet..thanks for the info! I just ordered my inline duct fan from HTG supply. I'm soo tired of payin rediculous amounts for shipping! If you can get up 60-75 bucks you can get a nice tent! I bid on mine and got it for 65 w/ free shipping. Plus you get Gromedics warranty w/ it! Im curious to what stunted these other Onyx? Maybe it was the soil? I gotta go back n read. I get to reading sooo much on here that I forget who's who haha. Good soil makes such a big difference in growing! Keepn my fingers crossed for ya! Hopefully you'll be blazing in no time w/ a smile on ya face! Talk to ya later =)

12. call me in 6 weeks,,, this grow is too young to sprout my attention,,,:rolleyes:

13. Thanks for sharing your useless comment. Seriously, why would you even take the time to do that.

I will be continuing journal on different forum. Don't care too much for grasscity. Account will be deleted.

14. [quote name='"flwr"']Thanks for sharing your useless comment. Seriously, why would you even take the time to do that.

I will be continuing journal on different forum. Don't care too much for grasscity. Account will be deleted.[/quote]

Nooo..where ya goin?

15. Too young..obviously they gotta grow from a seedling..well atleast last time I checkd? You must have been really bored sayin that. Anyways..stay here flwr or message me n let me know what ya doin. Was gonna ride wit ya thru ya journal =)

16. Will do. It isnt because of above comment just not feeling GC.

17. why not keep updating your journal on here as well as other sites? it can't hurt, and im dying to see how this goes so i can try. hope you decide to stay on GC, it really is a good community, but it also has its pointless posters...

18. didnt mean to run the guy off,,,

i was just making a funny,

i planned on coming back,,, to add advice if needed,,,, and watch this grow,:cool:

19. How good is that ph pen does it work good do you recommend it I'm trying to order one and can't make up my mind on wich 1