First Grow : Short Stuff Onyx, CFL, Rubbermaid

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by flwr, Sep 16, 2011.

1. #1 flwr, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    Hey everyone!

As mentioned in the title this will be my first grow with two feminized Short Stuff Onyx. They were purchased from Attitude Seedbank.
    DSC08717.jpg

I will be growing in two Rubbermaid storage bins. The individual dimensions are 29" x 19" x 19 1/4". The top bin is flipped upside down, and hinged to the bottom bin. The handles lock together creating a nice seal. The inside is painted a flat white. After this first grow I will only be growing one plant at a time. I am using this fan for my exhaust:
    Bgears b-Blaster 120 2 B Hi-Speed Bearing Fan - 120mm, 103CFM, 2000RPM at TigerDirect.com
    My intake is passive. Lighting will be six - 26 watt CFLs
    DSC08826.jpg

During a 24 hour trial run where all lights were on I had an issue with temperature at highs in the 90s. I think the main issue was the growbox is located in a closet. The air isn't being circulated enough in that space. Due to stealth reasons it must remain in the closet with no apparent ventilation outside of the closet. Added two more intake holes, and hooked that up to pool filter hose. The hose ran into a box that had a sealed fan bringing in cool, fresh air from the large gap under the closet door. This lowered the temperatures into the mid-upper 70s. RH tends to be 51-52 %.
    DSC08831.jpg

Lighting will be six - 26 watt cfls. Using a 3 light bathroom vanity fixture, and 3 y splitters. Crooked in this photo as they're mounted to top bin which is hinged, and I was opening it. The lights are adjustable.
    DSC08848.JPG

I am using a soil mix of MG Organic Garden Soil, MG perlite, and Burpee Organic Seed Starter in 3.80 gallon pots. Burpee Organic Seed Starter label.
    DSC08822.jpg

Watering with tap water set out for 24 hrs. Eventually, will be using airstone/bubbler. I will be feeding with the Better Gro Orchid products. I plan to use a DIY carbon filter, and either Gonzo or ONA.
    I have a 4" adjustable fan for "wind". After planter height and light space I should have 20-21" of grow room. Probably will be LSTing.

9/10
    Two seeds were germinated in paper towls moistened with distilled water, and inserted into a ziploc bag. The bags were placed behind the ps3.

9/12
    Germinated seeds were planted into their final pots (3.8 gallon). Unplugged the box fan contraption, and turned two of the lights on.

Day One : 9/14
    Seeds have sprouted! Each seed has one 26 watt cfl 2 inches above it. I have been watering with a spray bottle. Sprouted seeds are tiny and hard to see in the large pots.
    DSC08858.jpg

More than likely I will update weekly. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Post some pics, sounds clean.

3. I fixed the photos.

4. Very nice!

With 150w in that space you can expect a pretty decent yield.

With it at 70-75 you can expect some potent ass medicine.

5. P.S. Bump for clean competent mico gro!

6. Thanks Danyul. Now all I need is patience.

7. Flwr! You did it buddy. How amped are you right now? Theres nothing like the excitement you get from your first grow.

Killer setup too man! I don't think I've ever seen one of these little units. Your design?

8. Pretty amped. :smoke: Hoping for no major issues throughout the grow.

Rubbermaid grows are floating around. Some people don't flip the top bin so it is more stealthy. Nobody is going in my closet so that wasn't too important. I prefer the top to be flipped upside down. In opens like a clamshell so pretty easy for tending to them. Just copied everyone's grow boxes online with modifications here and there. The cardboard box, fan, pool hose is my idea though. At least I haven't seen it anywhere. All I know is it helps keep my temperatures down. High temps in rubbermaid grows can be an issue.

Happy Harvest to you and your grow Ponsrow :hippie: Thanks for stopping in

9. Right on right on. Have you dialed in your temps with all the lights in and running?

10. Those are some nice tall bins you got there. I think I am gonna have to go 3 tall, the bottom two clamshelled like yours, but not as tall though, and then a third with a lid on top.

11. There are so many adaptions of the rubbermaid grow boxes. That is why they're so great.

Ponsrow....temps were hella high with all running. I did a 24 hour trial run with all lights on. Temperatures were way high in the 90s. I think the main issue was the growbox is located in a closet. The air isn't being circulated enough in that space. Due to stealth reasons it must remain in the closet with no apparent ventilation outside of the closet. Added two more intake holes, and hooked that up to pool filter hose. The hose ran into a box that had a sealed fan bringing in cool, fresh air from the large gap under the closet door. This lowered the temperatures into the mid-upper 70s.

So in short, that contraption with the beer box and hose lowers the temps a lot.

12. Good to hear man. I thought the idea of having it in a sealed closet would cause you some issues. On the bright side we're making our way into fall meaning the temps outside are going to begin lowering. With that in mind you could always leave your window open and allow your room to get right down there. I've been taking advantage of the cold front with my vegging ladies.

13. Cooler temps will be a good thing. I might just leave the windows open. I like my bedroom a little cooler anyways.

14. ya man, you said it. I run pretty hot too

15. 8 Day old update :

Forgot to mention I am using a 20/4 light schedule.

Attached Files:

16. :ey:i may steal your idea:ey:

17. None of it is my original idea except the box/fan/hose. Even if it was, GO FOR IT :hello:

Update:

I had my CFLs way too close. That left scorch and burn marks. Issue with me overwatering too. I thought I was barely watering every couple days, but apparently they can go even longer!

Next grow I will be using Roots Organic soil or a different QUALITY, ORGANIC soil.

You live and learn. Hey, it's my first grow soooo.... :smoke:

They are small for their age. Hopefully, they take off soon like everyone assures me.

They are on Day 13. Here is a photo of a before and after light raise.

Attached Files:

18. Ya man, once you get a couple more leaf sets the roots should be nice and established, that's when you can expect that boost in growth.

19. Hey...glad to see ya got a journal goin! I'll chill wit ya through your grow..hope all goes good for ya!

20. Thanks, I will post an update next week.

I am really unhappy with how they are growing. Despite everyone telling me that they will take off....The fact of the matter is they ARE smaller than other Onyxs at the same age.

Hoping to get all the issues dialed in. Just recieved pH meter in the mail. Ph'ed tap water set out for 24 hrs last night. It was too high. I will have to pH it again since I don't remember what the reading was lol Will test pH of runoff next week when I water.