Occupy Wall Street - Sat 9/17/11

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Can you imagine what Tahrir Square would have been like if Mubarak's security forces had attempt to drive out the protesters....... oh right...

2. #42 hazey grapes, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    any time someone upsets the status quo, that's when the troops get called in.

call it a hunch... but i bet the whole thing goes on under-reported by the CORPORATE MEDIA. they're part of the whole corrupt system. what really gets me is that people are always blaming the wrong parts of the problem... wall street... politicians... mexicans (???!) and NEVER the TRUE enemy,

LOBBYISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's to hoping the wall street protesters have a website or something where the rest of us can show our support.

check out this recent news blurb by bill "i never inhaled" clinton... i think it sums things up pretty well... AW CRAP! it's already pulled off yahoo news! oih sonofa! i can't find it! i just watched the effing thing a few hours ago on yahoo news! i found it again... here
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/president-bill-clinton-yes-american-dream-under-assault-231659873.html

protestors tend to only point out whatever obvious truth there is about the corruption du jour, but corruption just counts on the OVERALL go with the flow sheep mentality that defines society as a whole. i've spent my whole life protesting all injustices and all that generally does is get everyone around you united behind whatever ahole has the biggest mouth (aka shoot the messenger syndrome).

don't forget how stupid people are VOTING against their own self interests because rush tells them to even though it was no big secret that bush jr couldn't wait to get in office and give those tax breaks (never effing intended for THEM) to the richest 3%ers who don't effing need it.

the media will ignore it & fox news will put a spin on it about how them "uppity liberals are just out stirring trouble up instead of joining the winning team blah blah blah and now a word from our sponsors"

3. Actually part of what they are protesting is the influence of lobbyists in wall street. You are right. The country is run by them, and they work solely in the name of greed and profit.

And yep, they probably won't get shit from the mass media unless some major shit goes down, which I don't foresee. The media is owned precisely by the very people the people are protesting. It's almost disgusting how terrible the mass media is in this country. It has nothing to do with serving the people, and everything with following the agenda of those who run it. Not that this is news, its just when you really look at it you say what the fuck. Same with a government that truly is not the voice of the people, in any way. It just does its own thing - excuse me, the own thing of the lobbyists.

They have been streaming live most of it here - http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

and if you want to show your support https://occupywallst.org/ They have all their info there

4. #44 yurigadaisukida, Sep 20, 2011
    "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

^^^

not only is this occupation legal, but if they decided to be violent, it would still be legal, acording to our goverment quoted here.

We have he legal right to overthrow our government if it is being bad. the goverments doesnt want us to remember that, which is why our school system sucks.

its the serfs all over agian

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvbI6Eq-qA]OCCUPY-WALL-STREET-PROTESTERS-ARRESTS( Sept 20, 2011) Spread This Video Please. - YouTube[/ame]

It was only a matter of time before the cops fucked up. It is rage caused by shit like this that will garner this movement support.

You honestly say that this type of force is necessary? The cops entered the camp to take away tarps and it turned into this. Look at the pig that wouldn't get off the dude who couldn't breathe and how they denied him his inhaler. Fucking disgusting. They act like they're not even humans.

If you are with this movement spread this video on facebook or whatever. Let people see this.

6. #46 DBV, Sep 20, 2011
    It's sad that people are brainwashed enough to say: Well it won't work so these people are idiots for trying to get the word out. I can't believe people are actually supporting the police in there abuse! lol. Talk about brainwashed...

You may not agree... but the point of the protest is to get people to stop buying the products as you guys say. If a few people stop buying the products, nothing would change. There trying to make a change by creating a force. Go ahead and support your official shephard though. At least some people are capable of being there own shephard.

7. the entire world is bought off by big buisness. the cops, the government. its called lobying and its the reason the country is the way it is.

the solution to the problem isnt protest, is mass boycott. the onyl way to take away their power is to stop giving it to them.

grow your own food
    ride your bike whenever possible
    stop buying gas

i know what your thinking, its not that simple right? well thats why the world is fucked up, because we think its not that simple.

outright protesting the guys with guns = bad

take their power, you have the power to do so

8. #48 DBV, Sep 20, 2011
    We're all taught to be passive so that we ignore the power were suppose to have. At least some people are willing to take a stand for the power were suppose to have, but look what happens... the "higher power" beats them and takes away there freedom.

Looks like they're feeling threatened... lol.

It's all one big power trip. Welcome to America!

(Kind of bad quality but a great song from a local band here in Iowa)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89UIejho0w[/ame]

Hm, Hm, Hm

Oh there he goes, he's gonna walk into a power trip and let's hope he falls
    Oh how he talks, he's gonna talk my head off, he said you got to fight war with war
    And in this world, the country on top, will always point the finger
    Police the world, and we're never ever ever gonna look ourselves in the mirror

(chorus):

Well I love my country yeah, well I love my country yeah, yeah, yeah
    But I just can't turn my head, from all the bad things that we did, did, did
    Well I love my country yeah, well I love my country yeah, yeah, yeah
    But I just can't turn my head, from all the bad things that we did, did, did

And a good friend he once said, "Well I love this place cause I feel safe"
    And a good friend he once said, "Well I love this place cause I feel safe"

(verse)

freedom comes at a price, it's called the blood of our neighbors
    freedom comes at a price, it's called the blood of our soldiers

(chorus)

freedom comes at a price, it's called the blood of our soldiers
    freedom comes at a price, it's called the blood of our neighbors

hm, hm, hm

And a good friend he once said, "Well I love this place cause I feel safe,"
    And a good friend he once said, "Well I love this place cause I feel safe."

9. #49 LittleJacob, Sep 20, 2011
    Actually I agree completely - that is precisely how I do my part right now. But I am still in solidarity with the principles behind this movement.

And even though these protests probably won't directly affect the change they seek, at least they raise awareness about the problems in general, to which more and more people can start taking things into their own hands as well. We can't rely on this system anymore, you take the power away from them through self-reliance.

10. Yahoo Appears To Be Censoring Email Messages About Wall Street Protests (Updated) | ThinkProgress

Yahoo Appears To Be Censoring Email Messages About Wall Street Protests (Updated)

By Lee Fang on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yahoo blocks users from sending e-mails about the OccupyWallSt.org website with a message claiming "suspicious activity"
    Thinking about e-mailing your friends and neighbors about the protests against Wall Street happening right now? If you have a Yahoo e-mail account, think again. ThinkProgress has reviewed claims that Yahoo is censoring e-mails relating to the protest and found that after several attempts on multiple accounts, we too were prevented from sending messages about the “Occupy Wall Street” demonstrations.

Over the weekend, thousands gathered for a “Tahrir Square”-style protest of Wall Street's domination of American politics. The protesters, organized online and by organizations like Adbusters, have called their effort “Occupy Wall Street” and have set up the website: www.OccupyWallSt.org. However, several YouTube users posted videos of themselves trying to email a message inviting their friends to visit the Occupy Wall St campaign website, only to be blocked repeatedly by Yahoo. View a video of ThinkProgress making the attempt with the same blocked message experienced by others (click full screen for a better view of the text):

ThinkProgress tried other protest websites, like AmericansforProsperity.org and TeaPartyPatriots.org, and both messages were sent smoothly. However, emails relating to the OccupyWallSt.org protest were blocked with the following message (emphasis added):

Your message was not sent
    Suspicious activity has been detected on your account. To protect your account and our users, your message has not been sent.
    If this error continues, please contact Yahoo! Customer Care for further help.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

ThinkProgress has sent a request for more information to Yahoo, and will post any reply once we have received it with Yahoo's explanation for its apparent censorship.

It's not the first time Yahoo has been accused of political censorship. Yahoo officially partners with the repressive Chinese regime to provide the government with access to emails related to groups viewed as dissidents. An explosive investigation by Der Spiegel found that Yahoo provided Chinese authorities with access to emails from journalists, and the snooping resulted in the same journalists being sent to prison camps.

The Occupy Wall Street protests have continued, but if you own a Yahoo e-mail account, you might not know about it.

11. #51 DBV, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    Patriot Act 101.. man that's sad. Americans treated like terrorists for standing up for what they believe non-violently..

To me this all screams: "We'll do whatever we damn please violently, and we'll take your freedom on treason if you don't agree". Disgustingly barbaric..

12. welcome to "the patriot act" century people! anything you do or say that threatens the rich is a punishable act...
    - food disparagement laws (so you can't talk about e coli in beef etc.)

oh, i can't remember any other at this point, but if you want to know what's REALLY going in the world and how big business and their government puppets are systematically screwing you over in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE, check this site out, or be a moron who gets all of his information from fox news (which can LEGALLY lie, and even sue whistle blowers who point it out!)
    Project Censored

on so many SEPARATE FRONTS, american citizens have had enough getting screwed over by fucking shareholders! it's too bad that they aren't organizing into a general "fight back" movement along the lines of "the million man march".

i know i'm STILL fucking pissed about a $1.20 overdraft turning into $140 in fucking service charges when the $20 i deposited to cover the 1st late fee was a day late. in so many ways, our freedoms are being eroded and we're being screwed over by lobbyists, media conglomerations and corporate terrorism (destroying the environment). there's a reason why corporations are out to destroy free TV... PBS!!!! the closest thing to the truth out there on the airwaves anymore

maybe, some day, the tea party morons will realize THEY'RE their own worst enemy putting deregulators in office.

read to top 25 lists at project censored... there's some deep & scary shit going on out there. the TRUTH is the enemy of those in power. all of the pockets of resistance like the wall street movement need to realize they're a small part of a much bigger battle.

13. Vote With A Bullet

The Number In Nations
    The God In Their Hearts
    The Justice In Swine
    The Devil In God

Vote
    This Long Hand That Breaks Our Back
    Still Casting Shadows On All That We See
    Unjustified...Mercy Killing Is Just A Feeling
    To Keep Our Numbers From Being Free

[Chorus]
    Prison For Praise Is Not Worth Thinking
    Sin Is Still In And Our Ballots Are Shrinking
    So Unleash The Dogs - The Only Solution
    Forgive And Forget, Fuck No
    I'm Talking About A Revolution
    The Prophet Man's Got A Needle In His Hand
    Draws His Dreams From Your Soul - Bleeding Minds Into Sand
    The Year Of The Fear Has Arrived Decades Too Late
    And Our Right To Stand And Fight Is Now Solely Sealed In Fate

[Repeat First Chorus]

One Last Chance Mission With A Vision
    'Cos Our Lives Are Just Cards In Their Stack
    Our Time Is Short But Theirs Is Shorter
    How Much Longer Can They Hold Us Back

[Chorus]
    Prison For Praise - The Obvious Answer
    Once Had Power Mad - Living Disaster
    Don't Fuck With Me 'Cos I'm On The Freedom Train
    That Bears No Name - This Time
    I'm Voting With A Bullet
    The View They Once Knew Made Our Nooses Too Tight
    This Justice In Swine
    The Devil In God

So God Bless My Soul - I've Got Total Control
    And The Crosshairs Lined Up Dead In My Sight

I'm Voting With A Bullet
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2I2mK_3_ns&ob=av2e[/ame]

14. Internet shut off at Wall Street protest, part of the agenda?

Source: WeAreChangeTV.US (Internet shut off at Wall Street protest, part of the agenda?)

15. DUH! lobbying is the fucking problem! government for sale! talk about clueless and/or brainwashed by fox!

i wonder what kind of spin they're putting on this. i also wonder how ignored this story is in the mainstream. hopefully this movement will catch on. calling it the 99% movement was BRILLIANT! it emphasizes the "we're all in the same boat" aspect of EVERY way EVERYONE is getting screwed over without the devisiveness and hostility of tea party minions working at the beck & call of the 1%

i hope the greedy & powerful are fucking shaking in their boots at the implications of this. i know i'm a hardcore 99%er for a bunch of reasons. i think that the movement could only gain momentum as people start seeing how the powers that be are trying to suppress it and nip it in the bud. this is REAL democracy in action!

i've been seeing al kinds of disillusioned people from all over fed up with "the system" and this movement offers a nice focal point that's been needed.

is this the french revolution 2.0?

16. It certainly offers an awakening of sorts, but it all depends how open the story/idea becomes. This thread is the first I had heard of it.. but I don't watch much news. Too depressing.

17. #58 hazey grapes, Sep 21, 2011
    that is just the "thought process" of a common "read majority" sheep, eg. dittoeheads & tea partiers. they don't care about right and wrong as much as they do "law & order". that's just how their minds work. they think in terms of THREATS (to their status quo). facts & truths mean nothing compared to maintaining "power". it's the same thing that was behind anti-hippy & war protestors while people waved angry banners. when something new comes along, the knee jerk reaction is to be afraid and then that triggers violence
    AFP: Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study
    this was the first place i've heard of it too, but hopefully, it will start a dialogue at water coolers *cringe* (ironic!) everywhere. like i said, it's the start of a focal point for all of the factions (i'm a lobbyist hating tree hugger) that make up the 99%. honestly, i can't believe it's taken so long for such a "screw your corporations and media lies!" movement to start. i mean, you see "don't trust the media" bumper stickers, but that's not the same as standing up & raising your voice. this time, it's not about a war in vietnam, it's about class warfare right here in the US. i think it will resonate with a lot people outside of the fox sheep pen, and maybe even within it a little as the tea party is starting to bite the hand that created it a little when they aren't worried that obama is secretly cloning an army of brothers to take over the US. LOL

it would be nice to see bleeding heart liberals quit fucking whining and play the same dirty game as those they complain about instead of worrying about getting their hands dirty and always playing fair. when your opponent doesn't play fair, you can't beat them by being nice. i'm totally digging the "enough is enough" sentiment of the movement. it's about fucking time!

i know a radical left winger that's very "fuck fox lies!", but he will defend democrats & obama even though as political parties, they're part of the busted 2 parties of sellouts problem. the lesser of 2 evils isn't good enough. maybe this is where the green party will gain steam and kick some ass.

in regards to the "relying on law & order" thing, most people (80%) fall into one of the "sensing" (vs intuitive) personality types. i can't find the comparison chart of the overall

this isn't from the source that i read recently that mentions the "law abiding" aspects of sensing thinkers, but the two types share traits that can be seen as part of the same pattern. the 1st sensing type is the"traditionalist" (45% of the population) which right away tells you they don't like change, more specifically,
    the other sensing type is the "experiencer"
    if you can find a link that defines the sensing group as a whole, law & order should come up. the traditionalists, almost half the population are the change fearing reactionaries that vote against their own self interest pretty much to maintain the status quo

18. #59 LittleJacob, Sep 21, 2011
    I honestly hope it is. The movement is really gaining a lot of steam, and has just gained the sympathy of another group of about 300 protesters who is going to join with them tomorrow.

There was a massive march on Wall-St today around 4-30, which can be seen here.

[ame]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17399457[/ame]

There has been sporadic media coverage here and there, definitely picking up. Michael Moore mentioned it briefly on Rachel Maddow, talking about how the media is blacking out this movement like they do so many of a similar ilk. A few news organizations have run some good stories on it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWP9WF5dj-g&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

This movement is gaining steam, and it is staying very smart. The latest from the last live feed tonight is that CNN is in contact with the movement media team and will most likely be reporting on the story tomorrow.

It is time for a revolution. French Revolution v2, I truly hope so. The movement is JUST beginning. If it keeps up, and I am fully confident it will, this could really be something big. I am almost positive that most people are underestimating the potential impact of this movement.

MSN Front Page:
    Hotmail, Messenger, nieuws en entertainment vind je op MSN.nl
    Bottom Line - Wall Street protest enters fourth day

Occupy Wall Street: Protesters Violently Arrested in New York | Suite101.com

Bunch of links and vids.
    Live Coverage: Occupy Wall Street

19. #60 LittleJacob, Sep 21, 2011
    The most viral vid from the protests so far.. look at the smugnessness of the Wall St people. "Oh look, the peasants want more crumbs! PAH! More champagne Jenkins, my pallet is parched from all this laughing!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfuvDr2wJQ]Faceoff at 55 Wall St. - YouTube[/ame]

Also - Join the livestream Chat! Follow the livestream! Spread the word! It is shameful that the mainstream media has continued to ignore this for so long.

http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

edit: stream is live now, @ 10:53pm EST

They go in and out of live, depending on battery situation, police stealing the generator, etc..