Occupy Wall Street - Sat 9/17/11

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011.

1. How do you differentiate between a provocateur and general idiocy from extremists? Isn't this just scapegoating?

Maybe the movements that lack social cohesion (and are therefore vulnerable to provocateurism) should fail for the greater good.

2. Mah boy Lupe Fiasco is promoting this shiz.

3. i still haven't heard the one simple demand. if this is supposed to happen tomorrow i'd think there would be some sort of organization by now in regards to the message behind this whole thing. last i saw was a list of like 100 potential "messages" people were voting on and if i'm not mistaken the one with the most support was something like "end corporate personhood"

4. So you believe in the status quo? Why are you fundamentally against peaceful protest? These people aren't doing anything wrong. They have a valid grievance. If you really support law and order you would support the natural change and rebalance that comes.

5. Actually no, not in the slightest. If this is the method being used for change, then yes; status quo is preferable.

Not at all. As I mentioned in the other posts in this thread, I think the methods being used are all wrong and in fact are counter-productive concerning the nebulous ill-defined goals.

I also don't view this as a "peaceful protests". Occupation is not peaceful, it violates the law and imposes the physical self. As far as I know, these "protesters" are making demands (not voicing their opinions) and do not have permits to be doing this. Passive does not equal peaceful.

You're entitled to do it, but be prepared for the consequences. A great example would be various sit-ins staged during the civil rights protests in the 60's. Illegal, yeah. Outside the definition of "peaceful protest". But also utilitarian and those individuals accepted the consequences. They were prepared to be arrested and roughed up. I fully support them.

The only difference being, is that I don't see utility in this protest at all. It's one of the worst possible ways to effect this change. It will be a divisive and isolating effect.

Right and wrong is entirely subject. I think relativistic morality is (again) entirely the wrong application to this scenario. With few exceptions; everybody thinks what they're doing is right. Not a good argument.

If you think you can shoehorn social change and rebalance comes as an afterthought -- then you have a lot to learn about conflict theory.

6. my post remains in dignity! either Spade didnt read it, or it was valid. Only 2 possibilities haha

7. It's just boring.

8. in the famous words of Jeff Spicoli ''you....diCK"

9. I fully support this and will be heading over there next week possibly. Here it is live. AnonOps Communications

If you don't support this, then your either a business owner or uninformed.

10. Somewhere much better than where we are now, obviously.

11. THIS is why there a protests in Wall Street. Prime example: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eNPAH46oI8&feature=related]55 year old Homeless Man carries 2 Masters Degrees ( Maurice Johnson ) - YouTube[/ame]

12. The main point of protests are to get the medias' attention because that's the only way the (I hate this word but ill use it anyway) "sheep" will hear about it. Most people don't find their news from alternative sources online. most watch fox news or cnn or msnbc.

13. #34 Sam_Spade, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
    Attention to what? Are you really under the impression that the average individual (as you refer to them as grazing ungulates) is unaware of predatory business practices?

This is such a poorly conceived idea. How can you possibly expect change? Even in comparison to recent decades of anti-capitalist protests, this is chump change. Are your memories really so short? Maybe they're not long enough to begin with.

Have they achieved anything yet, other than a short billing on a local news network? I can tell you that the international news doesn't give a shit. This is not Tahrir Square, and that comparison is almost offensive.

(Sorry, that wasn't all aimed at you, budsmokn, but thanks for the jumping off point)

Absolutely no change will be made, other than serving to alienate. This is not how you start productive dialogue.

EDIT: The only estimate I can find is ~1000 people. I'm pretty sure Wall Street itself attracts more tourists in a single day than that.

14. i like the idea of protest....
    but i am no kind of "joiner"
    i live out my whole life in protest to the world around me......buy not participating in it.....(i could go into all the details of that but it is a whole other subject)

but i have to agree with sam here regardless.....as i also believe that not a single change will come of this....at least not anything resembling what the "protesters" want....or claim to be after....
    sitting round gets nothing done....

people want change.....
    and are willing to go into the streets and complain about it.....
    but how much are they changing their own lives toward that end they are looking for?
    you want to fuck with the corporations and big business?
    stop buying their shit!!!!!!

hello?
    how many of those protesters do you think stopped on the way there to get a 5 dollar coffee at starbucks?

the proverbial "they" are not the problem....
    "they" only take advantage of you because you allow it......
    you buy their products.....
    you endrench yourself in their media...

you want "them" to fall on their faces?
    stop living like they tell you to live.......
    turn off your tv.......
    and stop giving them all your money to play with!!!!!!

(btw- i dont know shit- just some lunatic up on top of the mountain)

15. Are there any other unoccupied mountaintops nearby? I'll settle for a mossy cave as long as I have Wifi.

16. they are everywhere!
    just avoid the "people" trails.....and noone will bother you at all......;):smoke:

17. Live Blogging #TakeWallStreet

18. Thats because the police wouldn't let the protesters in. Only some got through, most didn't.