Occupy Wall Street - Sat 9/17/11

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011.

1. #1 LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
    I don't know how many of you have heard of this. Apparently, this Saturday, a group of protesters is trying to get 20,000 people to gather in Wall Street and occupy it for over a month, similar to the Tahrir Square occupation in Egypt.

“The abuse and corruption of corporations, banks, and governments ends here,”

https://occupywallst.org/

Occupy Wall Street: 20,000 To Gather On September 17th

Occupy Wall Street | Anti-Corporatists | Tahrir Moment | The Daily Caller

From their site:
    They have an awareness campaign called "We are the 99%", where people send in pics illustrating the essential purpose behind the protest.

We Are the 99 Percent

[​IMG]

Etc. You get the point.

So what do you guys think? Fail? Potential win? Will they be able to get a message across to a decent audience, perhaps even the world, or will big bro shut them down before anyone hears a single peep?

2. Huzzah! Let's all get arrested! That'll make us less poor!

3. Even better we hi-jack wall street with BB Guns...and we make the Disney stocks skyrocket in value...I swear I have no possible motivations for wanting the Disney stock to go up:D

Everyone go to Disney World

Just PM if you need any brochures for Disney world or land

4. I like it! I'd love to see people really gettin riled up, and start really protesting and doing stuff like this.

5. #6 LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011
    Agreed. I am really interested to see how this turns out. There may be more people turning out for this than I am expecting. In which case I am VERY interested to see how the authority handles the situation.

But whether or not this one protest works, at least people are speaking up and trying to spread awareness. There is so much crazy shit happening in our world situation right now, and yet most people are still caught up only in their day to day personal drama, and entranced by the latest bullshit on MTV, CNN, Americas got Talent and all those other puppet shows.

I understand that we all need to secure our own survival and shit, but I'm talking about people who aren't dying for their next meal. Who have it decently well off. They are basically content with how shit is going, content with living in ignorance of the true extent of the problems the planet and humanity is facing right now.

I think that anything to raise awareness at all is a good thing. I hope some shit goes down and these people get some media coverage. I just hope no one gets hurt in the process. At least it's encouraging and inspiring to see some people with knowledge taking initiative and trying SOMETHING.

edit: I understand when people say "oh, there's nothing you can do about it, enjoy your life anyway blahblahblah" but fuck, I just can't roll with that. This is our future. What are we going to do when we can't produce enough oil to supply the ever-growing ridiculous population of humanity? Especially when every country is trying to be like America. It's just going to be more collapse. Killing off all the species in the planet. An ever-increasing rift between the rich and the poor. None of these are good signs, and if anyone is going to change, it's not going to be some "authority". People have to be aware of these problems and actively thinking of solutions. But virtually nobody is.

Great documentary. Just since I'm on this tanget. Why not.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2em1x2j9-o&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

[/rant]

6. I'm going to make a modest donation to the NYPD. I believe in law and order.

7. #9 LittleJacob, Sep 16, 2011
    Peaceful protest, albeit an occupation, is not law and order to you?

I mean, sure it's not neccesarily "order", but according to the first amendment, there is the right to peaceful protest. Is there not? I think that is something else that will be tested here. Why can no one publicly speak out about things in a peaceful manner without getting shut down? Since when does government rule the actions of the people whom it is meant to serve to such an extent?

You believe in this law and order, many other people believe that there should be a different way. Should they not be allowed to occupy a space in order to get that message across?

8. I think it's a failed idea with potential to win.

9. [quote name='"LittleJacob"']
    Peaceful protest, albeit an occupation, is not law and order to you?

I mean, sure it's not neccesarily "order", but according to the first amendment, there is the right to peaceful protest. Is there not? I think that is something else that will be tested here. Why can no one publicly speak out about things in a peaceful manner without getting shut down?[/quote]

This is no longer "peaceful protest." they have 20,000 people trying to mob the streets of New York dude, sounds like a fucking riot waiting to happen to me. Sure, I don't know how else we should go about this very real problem, but in my mind this isn't the smartest choice.

10. If only the smartest of choices were ever made, where would we be?

11. [quote name='"RongBip"']
    If only the smartest of choices were ever made, where would we be?[/quote]

Very good point sir

12. It's a sad day when gathering together to voice complaints about the way your country is doing things is considered to be against the law, or wrong in some way.

13. It is not, you are correct. Do you have a permit? Will you be on private property?

What are your goals? Because I think they're effectively counter-productive to them. Have you been listening to a single word said about the international monetary system? The current issues face are largely confidence based -- how can further anomie and pluralism be useful?

It's more like a toddler having a tantrum when he can't get his candies at the supermarket than it is a reasonable person sitting down to resolve issues.

I love how you people have barley even bothered to lobby.

Being right does not make it utilitarian.

You can. Quite easily. What the fuck do you think you're doing right now?

What does "rule the actions" even mean?

I'm not cognizant of all the details, because this specific case study truly doesn't interest me enough - but as a matter of social theory; if you're illicitly occupying private property, then yes, you should not be allowed to do go ahead. You should be met with repressive violence. Luckily the NYPD are pretty good at that.

14. That's cool, I respect your opinion. Just to make it clear I'm not involved in this personally. Also, the protesters will be on public property, public sidewalks I believe.

Bottom line is I'm not too invested in the outcome of this, I just believe that people have a right to assemble and be heard on public property. We'll see how things go with this.

15. Do they have a permit? Did they even try to apply for one?

Why do they call it an occupation? Are they making demands? Because that is no longer a simple protest at that point.

16. If you think the steadily increasing 100 year industrial occupation of our Government by special interests is within the means for the people to lobby against, you need to take a step back and look at the big picture!!

There are about 5000 majorly influential people in washington pulling the strings, there are 50 governors, with their offices and underlies nationwide. various heads of state departments but really all and all, not an unconsiderable number of people given the interest.

There are trillions of dollars in "business" to be gained if you can somehow manipulate these people to let you have your way.

the math is very simple, and it is only human to cave to these special interests and the connections they provide for you and your family.

This is no longer a nation of farmers, our democracy has been SABOTAGED.

But i don't think rioting on wall street is going to change anything. its like a peasant revolt... usually doesnt end well for the peasants.

17. CIA used Agent Provocateur.

It's Super Effective!

not saying not to go... but if you really think that the government is going to let it's BFF suffer and sink, especially with today's economy? close Wall Street for that long and you'll probably see more fall than you were willing to admit.