Gardening Books FTW

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SoooHaggard, Sep 14, 2011.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

2. Mr "Bubbles"

Here's 157 PDF files from articles that have appeared in Acres USA Magazine in the past few years - link

3. Here's a small smorgasbord of links for ya'll to enjoy. 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. You da man, gimik :D

5. #167 donothinggardening, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  6. #168 donothinggardening, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets

Edit: that didn't work lol. More to come....

7. Thanks to both GiMiK and TJ.

I have a hard copy of MJ Botany, but it's nice to have it on the puter too.

The Mycelium Running was listed @ $35-$45 in my latest FungiPerfecti catalog. Simply too expensive on retirement $$$$. Sorry Paul. :smoke:

Wet

8. Aw wet why didn't you just ask! I have all the Stamet books on pdf!

Need any others?

Sent from my LGMS659 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks!!

I'll look through the catalog and see.  But some of them .... You would need a sterile lab and some heavy duty knowledge. Both well beyond my abilities and means. :confused_2:

Could you post the links here? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in shrooms.

Wet

10. Understanding Cultivar-Specificity and Soil Determinants of the Cannabis Microbiome

Abstract:

"Understanding microbial partnerships with the medicinally and economically important crop Cannabis has the potential to affect agricultural practice by improving plant fitness and production yield. Furthermore, Cannabis presents an interesting model to explore plant-microbiome interactions as it produces numerous secondary metabolic compounds. Here we present the first description of the endorhiza-, rhizosphere-, and bulk soil-associated microbiome of five distinct Cannabis cultivars. Bacterial communities of the endorhiza showed significant cultivar-specificity. When controlling cultivar and soil type the microbial community structure was significantly different between plant cultivars, soil types, and between the endorhiza, rhizosphere and soil. The influence of soil type, plant cultivar and sample type differentiation on the microbial community structure provides support for a previously published two-tier selection model, whereby community composition across sample types is determined mainly by soil type, while community structure within endorhiza samples is determined mainly by host cultivar."

View attachment Understanding Cultivar-Specificity and Soil Determinants of the Cannabis Microbiome.pdf

11. Controlled Microbial Composting and Humus Management: Luebke Compost

By Steve Diver

Introduction:

"Controlled Microbial Compost (commonly known as 'Luebke compost') is a premium-grade, well-humified compost that has been microbially inoculated, aerated, and monitored to ensure high standards of quality. The CMC method was developed through on-farm and laboratory research by Siegfried and Uta Luebke of Austria. 'Humus management' is a soil management system the Luebkes use in conjunction with CMC compost. Both of these techniques are described below."

View attachment Controlled Microbial Composting and Humus Management_ (Luebke Compost).pdf

12. Ohhh, man, I love me some info books. thanks. 
    I dont read novels, just info. lol 

13. Awesome resources thanks!! hi 5

14. This doesn't belong on page 9.

Cd

15. #179 GiMiK, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015

Endorhiza communities tend to be more plant-specific, and are often shaped by the compounds or proteins produced by their host [29]. Both endophytes and epiphytes may also play a role in localized ‘flavor' or terroir for crop plants, as has been shown recently for wines [30–32].

A growing body of work has united the colonization of both the rhizosphere and plant tissues under the two-tier selection model, where soil type defines the composition of rhizosphere and root inhabiting bacterial communities [33–35]. Under this model, edaphic factors determine the structure of the local soil microbiota, which become the source for the first bacterial community shift into the nutrient rich environment of the rhizosphere. Following this first shift, migration from the rhizosphere into the plant tissues is based on plant genotype-dependent selection of the endorhiza environment [33].

Third, Cannabis strain is the main determinant of PC1 (34.51%) for the weighted analysis of all samples in the second experiment, suggesting that convergent host genotype-dependent selection acts through controlling community structure (abundance) more than composition. PCoA results exhibit how all sample types form significantly differentiated clusters in weighted analyses but that only rhizosphere and endorhiza samples form significantly differentiated clusters in unweighted analyses, suggesting niche-filtering of microbes in rhizosphere and endorhiza samples from bulk soil.

Sampling for the first experiment was done post-harvest, when plant tissues were undergoing senescence and decay, while samples for the second experiment were taken from actively growing plants. Considering the extensive work demonstrating the importance of plant growth stage on the microbiota [21,49], as well as the plant-soil feedbacks identified in structuring below ground microbial communities [50,51], the differences between the first and second experiments are unsurprising. The similarities, however, are surprising. In particular, that cultivar-specificity could be identified in the microbiota within the endorhiza samples in the first experiment without any input of cultivar-specific metabolites from the living plant for weeks. 

So this means you could effectively manage soils based on specific cultivars rather than as a species, given a proper understanding of the processes and materials? 

Hmmm.....this could also translate to another long term benefit for no till arrangements, especially when dedicating soil to a specific cultivar (strain).

Perhaps the microbial communities would be best served by deliberately planting the same cultivar every time, allowing the microbial hierarchy to evolve and establish a very consistent and thorough network throughout the soil without need to adjust to a differing pattern of exudates or "niche filters".

16. I could imagine that the microbial populations present in the soil beneath an 8 week flowering indica and a 20 week flowering sativa would probably be variable since they have such different growth patterns.

In nature, cannabis plants would open pollenate and over time become more adapted to their immediate environment as natural selection runs its course. Over time the plants become more efficient growers in that particular environment, meanwhile tailoring the soil to their needs and vice versa.