Gardening Books FTW

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SoooHaggard, Sep 14, 2011.

1. LD

You should put one of your drivers online and share wink wink haha

2. The file size of a typical PDF is very small. I just finished an article for Digger Magazine (Oregon Association of Nurseriies publication) which is 10 pages and when 'distilled' to a PDF it is less than 185 kb.

Hard-drive prices are artificially high now after the floods in Thailand. When they return to normal in a few weeks, a 1.5 TB drive at NewEgg.com should be around $90.00 - $125.00 and that's a top brand - not a mongrel loss leader.

HTH

LD

3. #43 LumperDawgz2, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
    Apple released a free application a couple of weeks back for converting documents to eBooks on the fly - complete with audio and video files, both internal and external hyperlinks.

Interactive eBooks - catch the wave before it gets past you.

LD

4. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']Apple released a free application a couple of weeks back for converting documents to eBooks on the fly - complete with audio and video files, both internal and external hyperlinks.

Interactive eBooks - catch the wave before it gets past you.

LD[/quote]

Do you know the name of that app LD? Or was it called interactive ebooks?

5. I'll usually go to this site. It does the same thing. But thanks for that. I had the regular version of ibooks on my phone and really liked it! i but when my phone crashed i just havent gotten around to reinstalling it yet.

6. SD

Different file format - PDF vs. eBook and there are others like Amazon's proprietary format, Kindle, and there are open-source eBook formats. The various public and academic libraries now have a wide range of books available to download for a specific time and when the time is up it disappears from your Book Library.

But back to the PDF generator you linked to, if you were to create a PDF (however you get there), save it, then open iTunes and under Library go to Books and drag the PDF to that window - you can now read that through iBooks on any iOS device once you designate it to upload during the Sync process.

Instead of one long continuous document, it will not read like a book, formatted to the screen size of the device you're using and it will flip through pages - no scrolling.

Cheap entertainment if nothing else.

7. Nice!
    Im a 26 y/o young man. With very little money and great enthusiasm to find creative ways to get what i need. I care very little about what brand of clothes this girl is wearing, and what kind of rims you have on your car.

I love nature, and i love growing my plants. I love reading and learning to better my growing skill. And i no offense, but i dont care if it scrolls, turns pages, or does back flips. If it makes it easier for me to see and read, thats where im interested. Ease of use in conversion makes a big deal to me too.

Some times its like a picture. I dont care how you painted it. With a brush, q-tip, or your penis (there actually is a guy that makes surprisingly good and detailed art using his penis). The finished picture is the thing that matters most. Thanks again, for the tip with that app LD. Im off to dl it right now!

8. [quote name='"SeanDawg"']Nice!
    Im a 26 y/o young man. With very little money and great enthusiasm to find creative ways to get what i need. I care very little about what brand of clothes this girl is wearing, and what kind of rims you have on your car.

I love nature, and i love growing my plants. I love reading and learning to better my growing skill. And i no offense, but i dont care if it scrolls, turns pages, or does back flips. If it makes it easier for me to see and read, thats where im interested. Ease of use in conversion makes a big deal to me too.

Some times its like a picture. I dont care how you painted it. With a brush, q-tip, or your penis (there actually is a guy that makes surprisingly good and detailed art using his penis). The finished picture is the thing that matters most. Thanks again, for the tip with that app LD. Im off to dl it right now![/quote]

I feel you on being cheap ha why else would I start this thread.

9. Great material to peruse in my spare time. Grazie, SH! Going into my sub'd folder.

10. [quote name='"fignuts35"']Great material to peruse in my spare time. Grazie, SH! Going into my sub'd folder.[/quote]

Thanks man, share the links. I promise some updates soon.

Also any members with PDFs they would like to share please post up.

11. #52 Inthedirt4good, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a saved copy of File Type: pdf \tSoilMechBook.pdf (1,002.9 KB, 20 views) That they are willing to share?

The file ends at page 8 then links over to some sort of personal injury loss blog spot something or other.

12. SH,
    Any chance you have a modern / up to date botany text book?
    Just curious :)

13. [quote name='"SeanDawg"']SH,
    Any chance you have a modern / up to date botany text book?
    Just curious :)[/quote]

I wish haha once I have one this page will have one.

14. I have one, but its large and the page i go to for conversion keeps failing. Do you know any good programs for converting pdf to e-book formats?

Suggestions would be helpful :)

15. [quote name='"SeanDawg"']I have one, but its large and the page i go to for conversion keeps failing. Do you know any good programs for converting pdf to e-book formats?

Suggestions would be helpful :)[/quote]

I get all my stuff from download.com is worth a peek.

16. will do. thanks!

17. Cant you convert with the kindle software?

18. Kindle software?
    I never actually got any software with my kindle 2.
    Basically plug in, drag n drop.
    It does view pdf files. But it almost views it as a picture (does that make any sense?)
    So the entire page is on the screen and you can barely see anything. Kinda junkie :(

I can convert most pdf files. But this one Botany pdf that i have is a pretty large file and my conversion method struggles (and ultimately fails) :(.

19. #60 oceansgreen, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
    badass thread man
    i haven't yet looked through the whole thread yet, lest i forget my attachment:p
    but do you have any of Sepp Holzer's books?
    books some may find to be more for recreational reading than reading for a garden are some of Joel Salatin's "Everything I do is Illegal" or "Folks, This Ain't Normal"(that ones his newest one, only reason i really remember it particularly
    i haven't got a chance to read any of these yet but the author is a libertarian and i read a few pages of Folks, This Aint Normal at the local bookstore and had a bit of fun doing so...

i'm gonna try to upload a pdf i have of a book thats no longer in print by Masanabu Fukuoka... we'll see if it works at all lol

Attached Files: