Can people really tell the future?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alicedee07, Sep 11, 2011.

1. If so, then wouldn't that assume that all reality is predetermined? Just something I recently thought about.

2. to tell you the truth i believe so, ive had dreams where i see a spot me going there, but i cant hear anything, and then in like a week im there and i remember. I just get the chills

3. I believe it's possible to see the future based on the current state of the present but the future is absolute pure possibility. That prediction will most likely not come true because the present moment is always evolving and our path is bound to change.

4. So you believe in a balance between fate and choice? Once the choice is made fate takes over until your choice changes your fate and so on. That's how i interpreted your post.

5. yea in a way I guess that's one way to say it.

6. I think we have many possible futures and it's possible to get glimpses of a possible future. Free choice wouldn't be really free if everything was predetermined, or if we just thought we were making free choices but no matter what we choose we ended up at the same predetermined place.

People can predict events but they have a hard time predicting exact dates because they need to access another realm beyond our physical realm and in this other realm time and space function differently than here.

7. its not so much that its predetermined its that time is simply an illusion caused by gravity, taking into einsteins e=mc2 we are always exsisting energy caught in the gravity of this world and its illusions of time

8. Whether we can know what someone will say next, or whether we'll pass that exam we've just taken, may be possible, and some may be able to tell us, but to be honest, I really don't much care:smoke:

However, the things that actually matter, those moments when the choices we make have a profound impact on what happens next, are very knowable, because on some level, they already exist.:eek:

I'm not saying we're following some predetermined path laid out for us by a creator, so we therefore have no say in what happens. I'm saying that we've spent our whole lives making choices based on how we feel and think. Until we're fully awake, we are pre-disposed to make choices based on who we are, how we think, what we've done, in the past, even if we think we had a completely free choice when we did.

So, let's say I was able to observe you for a long period of time, where you remained unaware of being observed, it would not only become possible to see where your future is going as the choices you make in any given moment become more and more obvious, but would reveal tendencies that allow for predictions to be made that would turn out spookily accurate.

Our lives exist on many levels, most of which we're not aware of on a daily basis, and there are aspects of ourselves that are connected to these higher levels, that influence us at particular points along the way, in order to move us forward in a certain direction that is right for us. These points can be visible a long time in advance, if you know how to look that is, and are part of our true self's actual path, whether you know it or not. So depending on how conscious and aware you are when these influences take place, will depend on how you deal with them when they occur.

9. you should read some Philip K Dick (a scanner darkly, minority report, blade runner, total recall, adjustment bureau and more all films based on his work) if this is something that really bothers you, some real food for thought, plus it's entertaining as fuck

10. Yes. I knew you would ask this.

11. there really is only 'now' what you think of the past and future are really non-existent

12. I love Philip K. Dick! He's brilliant...

as for OP, yes I would assume it would require some sort of predetermination.. perhaps prophesies are really just a deeper understanding to evolution?

13. Oh you bastard! The second I saw the title of this thread I came in deciding to post about PKD, but you had to go and steal my glory! :p

14. There seems to be some evidence in physics to suggest that some people, sometimes with the use of some substances, can subconsciously filter probability, which seems like telling the future. That is minus the belief in an omnipotent god. I'm not convinced that god fully knows the future, but I do think that he, if he knows the minds and hearts of all human beings, could know the most probable outcome of any situation. Just my $0.02.

15. *switches major to Physics*

16. Reality is determined by the previous cause...
    but the causes go back forever...so there really is no true cause...
    Just the points that seemed to be along the lines of the action of the other...

One can predict the future...we do it all the time...we look at all the things we can and determine based on the small amount of info we got it is likely that this particular thing is going to result... There can be more accurate predictions...and I bet a lot of it have to do with looking into what happened in the past to understand the following of things...or something...

but there is a limit to the accuracy of a prediction typically... i would imagine... as if it was perfectly accurate at one step then once told to someone it would become less accurate due to alterations in the future...

there can be no certitude involved...its just a matter of being really really good at guessing...everything is guessing...nothing is certain anyways...

17. This is a very interesting philosophical question. The world is predetermined to some degree, and I like to give this allegory as a way to explain what I mean by that.

In a video game, there are levels, and within those levels goals that must be accomplished or rather sections that you must pass through. You are free to move in whatever way you please, to use whatever tools/weapons, etc., but you must go through certain predetermined parts of the level to continue, these parts are your karmas. Of course in real life you don't die and reset, and so you simply are put through certain things but you still have the freedom to act/react in whatever way you like. Likewise entire nations have karmas, and so one could prophecy that say, there will be a war, or the fall of a nation, though it is almost impossible to prophecy in exactly what way these things will happen, only that they will happen. Just like I couldn't tell you what weapon or strategy you will use to beat the boss on a game, only that he will be beat because it is required to continue the game.

In the video game allegory I am pretending that you are the character, not that you are playing the game and can just turn off the system and say "fuck this game" although you can do that as well, but that's a whole different story lol.

That's the Theurgic take on it.

18. I have predicted the future subconsciously although I'm not really sure if the future is set in stone

19. if you become concious of your subconcious then you can not only predict the future, but create the future

20. i predict that at 4:20am tomorrow morning, the clock will read 4:20.

i'll let you know if i was right