Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Happy Frog Potting Soil ?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by TIYX, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I've heard conflicting opinions about that. I've heard to use it only during flowering, or last few weeks or entire grow. The amount seems consistent tho. About a teaspoon to tablespoon. From what I understand it is to feed the micro organisms in the soil which help feed the plant and if you do use molasses, you don't need as much nutes to feed. I've heard as much as 20% less. I've also been told that you should stop feeding the last three weeks because if you keep feeding the bacteria, they keep feeding the plant so the flush and stopping the nutes is pointless because the plant is still being fed

2. Flushing a plant of nutrients especially non organic in the last 2-3 weeks is absolutely a good best practice. Blackstrap molasses like other sugars actually makes the weed taste better.

3. That's another thing. I've been told that plants take up the sugars directly and I've also been told it doesn't at all but is actually eaten by the bacteria and other microorganisms and they feed the plant. I haven't found any real proof of one or the other. Do people use molasses in a hydroponic setup?

4. Hey Brother Greenbud,

Here is one of the places I got my info from so you can verify. This is a link to a High Times Article, Jorge Cervantes is answering reader questions and the 3rd question down talks about our subject. HIGHTIMES.COM > JORGE'S RX

5. Thanks. I bookmarked the page. Going to sit down and read it when I get home. If you can find it, Skunk magazine had a great issue all about growing indoor/micro. Everything from seeds to harvesting and from nutes to pests. Its the best of Rev issue

6. [quote name='"Thundrstrike420"']Hey Brother Greenbud,

Here is one of the places I got my info from so you can verify. This is a link to a High Times Article, Jorge Cervantes is answering reader questions and the 3rd question down talks about our subject. HIGHTIMES.COM > JORGE'S RX[/quote]

Nice find

7. Thanks Thadrought! I guess it's not just for pancakes anymore! :)

8. I gave the post a look thru, but it's serious that you can use common sugar to increase bud size, like cane sugar?? I've just never heard that. I've heard co2 and all rose goodies. But hmm

9. Rose goodies? Like nutes for roses?

10. Lol sorry man. I meant those. I'm on iPod so it changes whatever words it likes

11. Haha my phone does the same. I'd go with some sea kelp extract and tomato plant foods. Tomatoes and marijuana have very similar nutes requirements

12. So I've heard. But I heard the secret was sugar, preferably molasses, at the last 4 weeks of flowering can increase yield by 20% and I keep hearing black strip molasses, can make the bud taste really good.

13. [quote name='"Thadrought"']So I've heard. But I heard the secret was sugar, preferably molasses, at the last 4 weeks of flowering can increase yield by 20% and I keep hearing black strip molasses, can make the bud taste really good.[/quote]

I'm at 3.5 weeks till harvest Eeeeeee first grow. Smells soooooo goood.

14. Any unsulfered molasses is good but black strap is supposed to be the best. I use it the whole grow. It feeds the microorganisms in the soil which in turn feeds the plants

15. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']Any unsulfered molasses is good but black strap is supposed to be the best. I use it the whole grow. It feeds the microorganisms in the soil which in turn feeds the plants[/quote]

I want to make premium soil so I can just water. The day will come. What strains are you working with?

16. Sour Diesel, Grand Daddy Purp, Jilly Bean, and a mystery seed from a friend's mom whom in growing it for. I hope to be getting a Jack The Ripper seedling soon and thinking about getting another strain

17. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']Sour Diesel, Grand Daddy Purp, Jilly Bean, and a mystery seed from a friend's mom whom in growing it for. I hope to be getting a Jack The Ripper seedling soon and thinking about getting another strain[/quote]

Amazing lol. But will regular unsulfered sugar be good? Or is molasses the best to add?

18. I'm using molasses. I haven't read anything about using just straight sugar. There is a lot of conflicting opinions about using molasses and when