Build your own led grow lights for 30 bucks!!!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by DAMAN2U1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hey i was wondering if you could tell me if i can run these in series if so what do i need.

Cree.( 3.5v ) 1W ; 1000 Ma and theirs 12 of them. There will be 8 red that are 700 Ma
    20 total.

My power supply will either be my computer with 850w at 70 amps with 12v wiring harness. It has internal resistors and capacitor. Will i still need external resistors and capacitor.

The other power solution is running a cord to a 120v outlet and just wiring in the proper reducers if thats possible thats y im asking

2. hey if you could find skinnier soldering wire that would significantly help with the process

3. I have 50 red LEDs hooked up parallel. Although i don't know exactly what type of LEDs these are, I'm going by the specs for standard 5mm red LEDs. Max current 20mA, 1.8-2.2 V drop. I have a power supply that outputs 12VDC @ 1000mA = 1A. I plan on hooking the power supply to a 5V voltage regulator. (L7805CV STMicroelectronics | Mouser)
    Will this work, and if so, are they being used to their maximum Wattage? What if 1 LED were already blown, could it result in all of them breaking?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick