Should Marijuana Leaves Be Trimmed?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jungle jim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Snap...That's what I like to do, take a little here and a little there throughout the entire grow. If you watch your girls they'll let you know which leaves are ready to go.

From my experience a bit of selective pruning can work wonders for your nugs.

2. Cool thanks for the input folks, gonna let her go for a bit and take here and there as needed!

3. Defoliating works point blank, we r growing buds not leafs, the size of the buds depends on how much light they get by the end of flowering I remove almost every fan leaf without stressing the plant and my harvest have increased no it's not natural but either is hydro, scrogs or hps light.

4. I disagree plants need leaves for photosynthesis not buds. I keep all green, remove as yellow and clean up bottoms and get rid of inside small shoots if you want big buds not all that's just silly

5. You're right not all just any that shade buds sites/new growth.

6. How can people say it does not work if they never used this method of training as soon as my plants start producing buds around the third & forth week I start removing any big fan leaves blocking potential big yielding sites if u run scrog I promise this will increase your yield.

7. Day 29 after a major trim

Attached Files:

8. A lot of empty space there why one plant?? Lol

9. Only got my hands on one clone of this. Took 5, keeping 3 for myself that are in soils right now. One more like this one would easily fill that space :D

10. Ya that's what I was thinking or 4 might as well fill it. Good luck

11. im about 3 weeks into flowering, first time grow and it is under cfl's, obviously there is a ton of mixed opinions on the matter of trimming during flowering stage, im hoping to get some of those here because I am still undecided and I know that it comes with experience but I also know there are people on here with that, that could point me in the right direction. any input on this would be appreciated. This is also my first post. Thanks. DSCF2661.JPG DSCF2662.JPG DSCF2663.JPG

12. I started doing a full defoliation in week 2 of flower. Mostly because I had nitrogen toxicity due to over feeding and my fan leaves were all getting pretty clawed. It wasn't to the point of nute burn but noticeable. I started clipping all of the fan leaves and experimented with a heavy defoliation. OG Kush is not typically a heavy producer but I think these turned out real nice. I'm gonna try again without pulling off the leaves and compare the results. As you can see. There are basically no fan leaves at all. I did see an increase of leave growth in the last week's of flower

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

13. Just trimmed all mine. Filled half of a 5 gal bucket. They love it

14. I trim the eff out of the leaves if they are in the way shading the buds. Some plants take it better than others. I defoliate when I see necessary from veg all the way to chop. Dont be scared to pull a few leaves, those same people that keep saying "dont pull the leaves they're SOLAR PANELS", like to grow small fluffy buds. I've been defoliating for years, its a must do.

15. #176 Rumpleforeskin, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
    Your plant will grow bud even if you pull leaves off (it is a fact). The guy above me is proof that this plant can take loads of abuse and still yield some good smoke.
    Most growers I know would never take leaves off or listen to such foolishness.
    Here are some buds grown under a 400 watt HPS, 70 days from clone to harvest. I would not describe them as fluffy (heavy and sticky yes, fluffy no).
    [​IMG]
    I do take the leaves off at harvest (best time to do it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like to take advice from folks who are able to demonstrate and show me quality yields that exceed what I am currently doing. Producing text on the internet is easy, large high quality harvests in a short cycle time is not nearly as simple.
    Happy growing.
    R.

16. Thank u for sharing the pics Rumple. I've been enjoying your pictures for years now.

J

17. I am a trimming mofo, mofo.

18. #179 Hi11b, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Would anyone recommend pruning any of these leaves? There are a few shorter colas that I feel aren't getting enough light. Ive been LST and I untied them recently but some colas aren't catching up to others during the stretch. After reading on here I was wondering if instead of tying down the taller colas again if it would be ok to clip off some more leaves instead. I'm in week 2 of flower.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445653685.580863.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445653704.817785.jpg

19. Take the leaves off and your plant will get less light.

Try adding more light.