Should Marijuana Leaves Be Trimmed?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jungle jim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. i le mensaje stachi y cuando estén listos me gustaría mucho tener una cortina de humo con la que

2. i recon ill get about 200 grams of my smallest plant, and from my biggest about 400 grams dyed bud.....

3. many thanks for the reply. I can't see why it would not work in a indoor soil grow. I'll give it a test.

4. #44 althor, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011

You and I have completely opposite standards then. Why not cut the stems out as well? After all you arent growing stems, you are growing buds. Oh why not cut the roots out as well? After all you arent growing roots, you are growing buds.

Ive done it both ways and I can promise you, the buds are MUCH higher quality on plants not defoliated. Which is why id be willing to put my grows up against your buddies grows any day of the week.

5. I thought this would be common knowledge but the optimum amount of trimming is somewhere in between none at all and completely stripping the plant of leaves. Not one or the other.

What you want to do is analyze how your plant is growing in your light and what your goals are. If you want evenly sized buds just trim some large fan leaves on top that are blocking light from leaves below. If you want a huge cola bud trim the fan leaves that aren't getting light on the bottom.

If you want maximum yeild, trim so that you have the maximum amount of leaf area exposed to the brightest light. You will have to make a judgement call as to whether one fan leaf getting very bright light is worth two or more leaves getting less bright light but that will again be whether you want a top heavy or even fruiting plant.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Instead of trimming those leaves, go get some cfl's, flouro tubes or heck even mh/hps in a cool tube and aim it at the bottom. The best result I get is 600hps on top, 250 mh pointed at side and rotated weekly around them. I have seen lots of rooms set up with bottom/ side lights and it's the best route instead of cutting leaves.

7. you do know these plants are outdoors right?! putting artificial lighting on an outdoor plant is just asking to go to jail, no matter what country you're in.

8. :laughing:
    Dude I about choked on my on breathe when i read that!

edit: vortex did it :smoke:

9. i wasnt gonna call the guy out, but he obviously hasnt read the thread and i said fuck it..

10. Whoops, I thought it was a thread about should they be trimmed or not period. I did not realize we were talking about anyone's specific plants. Sorry. If it's outdoor then there should never be a reason to trim them? :confused:

Try some lst methods. Stake down the tops.

• Like Like x 1
  11. even so, depending on you particular growing method both trimming and sidelighting are beneficial... this particular thread pertains to 1 person's outdoor plants. he is being helped locally by a very knowledgeable grower.

12. well as long as im happy with my 1st grow then thats all i care about, but ill say it again and i believe that the local traditional methods being implemented in the growing of my plants where they cut all teh big fan leaves off to increace sunlight to teh bids and save energy, bearing in mind teh hugy quality of different nuts, any way its not a beauty competition, your just judgyng on the attractiveness of teh plant never mind teh fact that she is very hailthy and growing well, looked after and is boasting now in hugs buds id say they will be about15 20 inch round, last nights full mood made my girls horny and active at night, may be when you see the end results you might change your mind..

13. #53 GrowMaster1, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011

Hes Right!!-GrowMaster1-Michigan-You will Get ALOT OF BUDS NOW

14. the photos below are my Spanish friends monster plants, hes the the chap who trimmed my plants, see how his plants have turned out so far and still have 2 months left to grow..

Attached Files:

15. here are teh update pics of my girls which are tiny in comparison to his, but thats dude to the amount of sun , mine get less dude to trees blooking teh sun from 6pm :(

Attached Files:

16. continue from last post... ive been told that they shoudl be ready for harvest in 27 days, but ill most prom leave them an extra week or so, :)

Attached Files:

17. yeah by the looks of it you have somewhere between 4-5 weeks left til harvest. you will really see the benefit of the defoliarating in the last 2 weeks when the buds really start to swell. oh and keep you're head up about your plants, granted we want big plants so we can have a ton of bud, but would you rather have 5lbs of mids or 3-4 oz of top shelf premium dank? me personally id take the dank unless i was strapped for cash.

18. hummm tick toc tick tock, harvesting time is fast approaching. i cant belive how quickly the season is passing. still not sure what seeds i will be planting next year, defo white widow but what else, and i wonder who will win the cannibis cup for 2011..

19. sounds good to me, lets have a look at your plants ? please put some pics up, be a good sport old chap...

20. The only time I remove leaves is to improve airflow, usually the bottom 1/3 of the plant
    depending on density and humidity, many times the small useless buds are left on the plant
    and later used for seeds, if I need them or give the seeds away later

"V"