HTG 4k Tent Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by readysetexplode, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hi folks, I'm about to get my hands real dirty on a new MMJ coop grow op.

I've heard good things about htg and they seem to be one of the cheapest and reliable bangs for my buck right now so I put a $4000 shopping list together.

before I go ahead and fork over the cash and start the operation I figured I would get some opinions first.

the grow will be perpetual with clones veg area flower room ect. the whole works.

I plan to veg 18 plants at a time and have 2 flowering sections of 18 plants each for 36 flowering plants at any given time.

flowering will be done in the 10x10 grow tent, with four 1000w bulbs. the bulbs will be 6 inch cool tubed with ducting running from one side of the tent to the other. this will contain the tubes to the air outside of the tent increasing CFM and reducing need for filters.

I will then run 2 seperate 6 or 8 inch filtered exhausts for the contaminated tent air circulation with a portable AC blowing cold air in.

plants will be soil grown using the complete fox farm line. down the road I could easily switch to hydro, or do half and half.

I'm going to use a RO system with 2 55 gallon reservoirs for watering.

Veg room would be significantly smaller probably just a 4 or 600w MH and then some floros for clones/seeds. I'm more focused on having a stable flower room right now.

This is just the groundwork for right now hydro and C02 are almost definantly in the future if this works out. If anyone sees any glaring problems and such please let me know! this is obviously my first grow to this scale, but I'm confident with enough research I can make it work.

My goal is at least 2 pounds per month, do you think this will get me anywhere near that mark?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I wouldn't buy any ballasts or reflectors from HTG. They are not great quality. They are only cheap, and you get what you pay for. Just buy the real brands from some other place. The price difference isn't very much.

3. hmm, I do understand they aren't the most quality products but for how cheap they are i can't really resist. for 4 air cooled 1000w lamps it puts me at just barely over $1000. I know reflection is hugely important but I'm also figuring that being in the entirely reflected tent will offset a poor quality reflector. as for the ballast, whats the difference? power efficiency? noise?

Thanks for your help!

4. hmm that lamp IS about $40 cheaper per light however it LOOKS as if the HTG reflector might be a bit more effecient...by looks anyways. also its not MH/HPS switchable which isnt really a big deal. and its even less of a brand name than HTG. I just don't know.

the photo above may have been misleading, this is the reflector that would be on all 4 lights, a 50 dollar upgrade I believe, which was included in the $1100 total cost of lighting.

[​IMG]

Temps are my concern at this point. If I'm in a room with ambients of 65-75 and I use a 12,000BTU AC directly fed into the tent and I have all 4 lights running 500+CFM of cool tube for each 2 lights, what can I expect? what if I had 2 12,000BTU AC's, one on each side of the tent?

also I'm trying to get an expected yeild value. It seems most growers shoot for 1g/w. which is 2.2 pounds I believe. for my first time around with this equipment could I expect at least 1.5 lb/1000w? and as I dial in and add hydro co2 ect approach the 2+lb per 1000w zone?

5. This might be more comparable sun system is a good reflector, no? not sure about that ballast though....:confused:

1000w - HPS - Cool Sun 6 in. Package

[​IMG]

for 4 of these:
    Sub-Total: $1,154.52

6. First off, try to shoot for 1 lb per 1000 watt light.. Nothing more.
    AC will be a must but a 12,000 BTU will be more than sufficient. You do seem as if you have most of this figured out. Nothing wrong with the reflector you choose i dont think thats what everyone is iffy about, its the ballast. Spend the xtra bucks and go with a lumatek digi, they sell em on htg. Also those arent cool tubes those are just air cooled. Which is fine, as long as you have your ambient temps around 65-70. I hope all the air is being completley exhausted out of the room the tent is in, either outside or into another room.

Also if your going to run your fans to pull straight threw each side of the tent and your filter just recirculating ide say just get a co2 set up. Either a tank or a burner, that will help you increase your yield a bit and will deff pay itself off first time around.

If your looking for 2lbs a month you shouldnt have a problem getting that as long as your staggering your harvests.

7. #8 readysetexplode, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thank you for the detailed response. Maybe I will go with digital ballast, enough people are saying to do so and I might as well do it right the first time, and save myself some headaches. I can live with 2 pounds per month though 4.4 would be amazing haha. One day.

Yea I had originally planned on using actual "cool tubes" but I decided id rather have the extra reflection. Sorry for the confusion. Is there much difference in performance? And yes the lamps will have dedicated ducting right out the roof.

So your saying I should seal the tent and just have a fan and filter circulating air within to remove smell, and have say a 12-14000 btu AC cooling the whole show in the corner, and have a CO2 setup? I don't have any gas lines so id have to use a tank right? I don't know much about CO2, I haven't read into it yet, but I'm definantly having it at some point. From what I understand it will allow me to approach up to 88 degrees with no ill effects?

Thanks again for the help!

8. #9 AntonROUGH, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Even higher.. Like 95 degrees with no real harm. Although 95 isnt an ideal temp no matter what. And ide say air cooled.. Ive heard of some people modifying there cool tubes for better reflection but if your ambient room temps are low and you also have an AC, air cooled hoods will be fine and will give you great reflection.
    You dont need a gas line for co2.. Just a propane tank if you want to go the burner route. People with very large rooms tend to go with burners.. People using tents usually just use tanks. I guess its all up to the grower.

9. I have an EasyCool6. It's the crappiest air cooled reflector I have. The mogul socket is large and blocks a lot of airflow when connected to the hood.

Their Cooltube 6" is ok.
    Their Airoflow reflector is nice.

I've had two 600w digital greenhouse and two 1000w digital greenhouse ballasts go bad.

From now on it's Quantum or Lumatek!

Will not buy from them again.

10. Hey thanks for the info!

Guh so the ballast sucks, the reflector sucks, and the whole thing just sucks? lol I guess you truly do get what you pay for.

whats a guy on a budget to do?