dwc vs aeroponic

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Panda85, Aug 21, 2011.

1. i have been debating aeroponic or dwc for a while now and just decided to build an aeroponic cloner and so far im liking the results and might take it to the next level and grow them completely out that way.

i have very little experience with these grow methods but have grown in soil for about 10 years so i have a very good understanding on how the plants work and what they need.

my questions are
    1 which method produces faster growth and more hearty buds?
    2 if grown fully with aeroponic does the root mass get as large as dwc?
    3 what should i consider growing them in so that the roots dont pile up and drown in the water where the pump is?

here are some pics of the setup i have atm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I prefer DWC for veg and flower....

the time difference would barely be noticeable between the aero and the DWC, there's also alot of factors

aero is awesome for cloning....

the problem with long term aero is you might end up clogging the sprayers or emmiters with roots and then you might end up with problems... some sprayers get easily clogged with nutrients as well... and a slight raise in temps could completely clog your system up... thats why the cloners are awesome... water only

but just kinda pic one... they work, or they would not sell them... and every system has its pros and cons... you just have to figure out what works for you....

3. that was also another concern is if the sprayers/pump would not like nutes... i think i will end up vegging as long as i can in the aerobucket then simply swap buckets and use dwc once the roots get longer.

thanks for the input =]

4. Yes, after a while you will get a buildup on the sprayers...
    Any flushing solution and water run through the system (without plants) usually cleans up any salt buildups....

You'll get at least one grow before you really need to clean and flush your system... So do it in between the grows...

5. rDWC is so easy that it's almost boring, but very good for quick growth. they say that true aero is very reliant on equipment not failing/clogging, and I've yet to have an issue with my rDWC system. even if a pump fails, gravity will never fail and it takes much less maint. than the top feed drip system with timers that I used before.

6. 110% agree....
    As long as you keep the temps in limits, and supply great O2...
    GREAT SYSTEM...

Really, if the system is set up correctly, being RDWC, DWC, AEROPONICS, FLOOD&DRAIN (sites or table), once dialed in, they ALL produce great results...

RDWC would be the simplest to make, and the cheapest of them all too....
    Even cheaper to build than the DIY ebb&gro sites using gravity for the feed & returns...

A tote, net pot, some hydroton, and a good air pump, and then air stone...
    Done deal... ;)

7. For me, aeroponics is nothing more than the next buzz word to get folks to buy 'new' systems in the pursuit of better results.  Fact is, a boring DWC system, as one poster referred it to, works with less risk of system fail. (i.e. clogged sprayers, bad timing causing dry roots)

8. Im on my first grow doing DWC and so far its easy/boring I get up every day run to my tent to see how much my plants grew. Some days I see a huge difference others not so much. I did try top feeding the first few weeks but after the roots were hanging down in the water it was pointless.  

9. #9 Peflora, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    30+ years ago my first system was a simple F & D

Since then I have tried DWC lp aeero, high pressure aero, then top feed and now full circle to F & D

Consistently healthiest roots

I have developed a simple Mini-Me F & D set up.

See my thread in the Hydro section

10. Any proven hydro system you choose has the ability to work excellent.   I would go so far as to say that if they are set up and maintained (kept at appropriate specs for the relative system) they will all grow your weed equally well.  

That said, I prefer to choose my hydroponic system based on my tolerance for the maintenance required by me (I'm lazy, and travel a lot, so I can't be there for daily hydro monitoring)  

An aero system WILL clog up on you, so you'll have to flush and mess with sprayers regularly. 

DWC is great, assuming you can keep the nutrient temps below 70F. 

If you're just getting started, I would suggest a Hempy bucket/dutch buckets, or a flood and drain system.  Each of these systems are pretty simple and forgiving, assuming you make the effort to keep the pH dialed (but that's true of ANY hydro system you choose).

Cheers!
    Past

11. I am new to hydroponics as well. What times should a top feed Dwc with Rockwool and hydroton be ran?

I built my setup, and currently wish to run my seedlings. I got everything to pump water from res to top of plants. Would like to know how to figure out when to start to water, turn off and start again.

I am using a 19gal tote. 6plants. 12gal tap water left over 24hrs,added canna rhizotonic plus lemon juice for pH. pH levels at 6.0

Tote equipped with a 170-300gal pump, 12 port drip manifold with 6 on, 12gal of note mix