Closet DWC - Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by siobber, Aug 16, 2011.

1. just stick to the FF bro. thats the good stuff (so ive heard)
    nice dog.
    i wanna see some BUDZ

2. Good point - I believe in DIR (Do It Right) for most things pertaining to growing. I made my own cab and stuff. But I ended up getting a 'proper' HID and fan/filter. Why do I want to mess with a filter that doesn't work, or bad soil that fucks up my grow (which is what is happening now. I can't wait to transplant to FF.

3. #43 siobber, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for the ref.! I'll have to check out his grow! :p
    Word.. I don't PLAN on straight up using any of the cheap nutes, they're just something to tie me over until my FF nutes come in. I'm hoping they'll end up coming in before or close to next feeding, so I WONT have to use them.. But at the same time, I'd hate to have my plants get stressed out and hermie or something just because I wasn't able to give them anything next feeding. I also plan on flushing and adding nutes again when my FF nutes come in. :D

Also, I was looking into various tents and what-not last night. I'm really thinking about investing in one.. Any suggestions on when kind or a size? I'm hoping to be able to get one that has two chambers or something so that I can have a Veg. and Flower area at the same time... Otherwise I'll just get a small one and a larger one... Possible talk my GF into getting me one for my birthday or Christmas... Haha! :D

*EDIT*
    I was just doing some info. looking up, and discovered that the Earl May across town should actually carry FFOF soil! .. I swear I didn't see any last time I was there... But I could have miss it. I'm SO excited! :D I'm going to be getting some ASAP and then possibly have a comparison grow, or at least be using multiple mediums when I get a hold of a tent! Haha! ... God, I'm excited!

4. I hope you can get FFOF! I wrote to Fox Farms and asked them who my local dealers are. Not all of them are listed on the site.

I don't know anything about tents. Two tents is exciting but where do you plan on putting them?

5. Haha! Me too! I'll be out and about tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have able to get SOMETHING! :p I don't know if I'll be picking up any FFOF... But I'll be picking up some rooting cubes, cheap nutes, and possibly some CFLs and the FFOF if I have the cash to swing it.

Haha! Well, if I'd be able to get one tent with two grow spaces, I'd just put the one in my closet. :D ... Otherwise I'd just put one in my closet, and the smaller one just sitting in my bedroom. No one but my GF and I are ever really in my apartment in general, and my room is completely off-limits to any other visitors on the rare occasion that someone else DOES come over. That's a little ways into the future though. Like a month away at best. But I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

I've also been thinking about being kind of manipulative with my Christmas list.. My mom has REALLY been buugging me to get a list to her.. So I was thinking baout just putting a whole bunch of stuff together that I could make my own tent with and ask for them for Christmas. Haha! I'd just straight-up ask them for a tent.. But that's pretty obvious, no matter how oblivious to growing they are. :p We'll see though.

6. If you watch Jorge Cervantes's video he shows u how to do it. It's mad simple. You just can't break it down fast. He used 2x2 or something similar and got the big sheets of poly. Black on one side and white on the other.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6GhtrgxJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

I don't know if tents come with two chambers.

7. Ah! Nice! I was debating if I wanted to look up how to make my own on YouTube! :p I've mainly just gotten into looking at random stuff I can buy at WalMart or Lowes or something that I can mod into a grow cab.

I don't think I'll be doing anything close to 8'X8', but I'm thinking I might end up making my own small tent or cab for Veg. and then buying a professionally made tent for flowering. Light leaks (in) wont be such an issue with Veg. along with smell not being as big of an issue. I've heard that PVC isn't good to use because high temps (not that I plan on allowing the temps to get high... It's just a concern) cause them to emit some sort of toxic stuff in the air or something? Is this true? I'm not looking to be able to tear-down quickly, I just don't really wanna use wood and screws and stuff...

I'm starting to think that tomorrow is going to end up being a tent-supply run with a Nitrogen-rich temporary nutrient solution pick-up as well. This settles it.. I was thinking about pulling an all-nighter for class, but now I KNOW I'm pullin an all-nighter for sure! :D Is it sad that I'm more dedicated to my grow than I am to school? (I'm a Psychology and Chemistry double-major, currently in my last semester of classes.) :smoke:

8. So I woke up this morning and #2 and #5 were kind of wilting and looking pretty sad... #1 and #4 aren't doing too bad.. But I'm pretty sure my pH was too high.. It's looking like a Zinc lockout. I took pictures, so I'll post those.

So here's what I've noticed:
    The new growth is lighter in color and kind of Rosetta-ing.. Plus some of the older leaves on #2 and #5 have gone necrotic.. Also.. I've noticed the nodes have purpled more along with a few of the leaves getting purple blotches on them..

This is a shot of all of them.. Looking kind of sad.. It's strange, because none of them were wilting at all yesterday around 5PM (the lights shut off at 7PM) and then I wake up today around 9AM (Lights turn on at 7AM) and check on them and they look like THIS [​IMG]
    2011-09-13 (Day 34 2F) ALL.jpg

Here's what I was talking about with #1... This is what most of it's new growth is looking like. Other than that, and the purple nodes, it's doing alright.
    2011-09-13 (Day 34 2F) 1 TOP.jpg

Here's a side-shot of #2... As you can see, the fan leaves are getting pretty droopy and it's starting to wilt a little bit...
    2011-09-13 (Day 34 2F) 2 SIDE.jpg

Here's a side-shot of #4. Looking little sad. The fan leaves are HUGE! Like the size of my hand! Haha! They're really weighing down on the plant.. Other than that and the light-green growth it seems to be doing second-best.
    2011-09-13 (Day 34 2F) 4 SIDE.jpg

Here's a side-ish shot and a top-ish shot of #5... I'm starting to get really concerned with this one.. It's looking pretty bad.. :(
    2011-09-13 (Day 34 2F) 5 TOPISH.jpg

I've completely rinsed out my res. a few times to make sure there it was as clean as I could make it for the time being.. Then filled it back up with about 4 Gallons of tap water that I've had sitting in a spare Rubbermaid tub to evaporate out any chemicals and what-not.

Hopefully this does the trick.. I'm also going to be running across town today, so I'll be able to get some nutes to hold me over until my Fox Farm Trio come in. When I was researching, I was getting the general idea that you want a solution that's more P than K, with low Nitrogen, or nitrogen being the lowest of the three like: 15-30-15 or something similar with lower Nitrogen.. Is this right? MG Bloom Booster Flower Food (15-30-15) is looking like the best option for flowering nutrients between the products sold at EarlMay or WalMart.

Attached Files:

9. #49 siobber, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    So I got across town today! :D Anyways, I picked up some MG Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food (NPK: 15-30-15) It's not ideal, but I figured it'd do for now..

After like 2 hours of walking around Lowe's trying to price things, I figured a DIY tent - or any tent for that matter - was out of my budget for the time being.. So I ended up buying a few things to make a hood for my CFLs.

Here's the results:

2011-09-13 Outside (TOP).jpg
    2011-09-13 Inside (Powerstrips).jpg
    2011-09-13 Inside (CFLs).jpg

I used reflective tape to line the entire inside. I know it's not the best thing to use, but it was the best thing I had available on a budget. 5 Power strips (4 on the inside, one on the top). 12 CFLs - right now I have a mix of Soft White and Day Light bulbs.

And in the Closet!! :D
    2011-09-13 Rubbermaid CFL Grow Hood.jpg
    ... Plants still lookin a little sad. I think I see some improvement, but I don't know if I'm just imagining things or not..

So now that I've flushed the res and they've been running on straight water all day, should I start adding nutes tomorrow?? Or wait another day?

I just checked my email and I've received confirmation that my Fox Farm nutes were shipped yesterday. They're shipping from California, so I don't see why they'd possibly take longer than a week to get here.. Hopefully. :p

Thanks! - Let me know what ya'll think!! :D

10. hey bro!!!
    whats going on?, everything was great last time i checked!!!

what is your ph at. you need to calibrate your meter maybe?
    if you have nutes in, the only thing that could cause such a drastic change in a day is the ph.... did you notice symptoms beforehand??

i wanna help!!!!

11. Is that fertilizer for vegging or flowering? Just asking because that fert would work better for flowering.

12. Also,

I got my tent on amazon,100$ total with snh.
    Too easy bro. It has saved me alot of headache.
    And they do have ones with seperate chambers. But theyre a grip.

13. Word. It's for flowering. I'm just starting the flowering stage, well, I started flowering not too long ago.. :p

Yeah... I'm pretty sure it was a pH problem... After I flushed I stopped having those problems... 3 of them were past saving though... Still 2 left though! :D

Actually - I'm currently without a pH meter.. It got destroyed by my dog about 2 weeks into my grow... But everything had been remaining fairly stable, so I figured I'd just go without one until I re-ordered nutrients. I have a meter on the way though! It should be here sometime next week. :p

Word! I've done a ton of research into various tents and ebay or amazon seems like the place to go to get one. And yeah... I noticed that about the 2 chamber tents.. It's stupid because they're charging you double the price for a tent the same size as a single chamber. I'd rather just get two different sized tents.. Hopefully I'll be able to get the money for one soon! :D

14. Alrighty... So it's officially the first week of flowering. :D

Here's an update:

Today I added about 1/2 strength MG All Purpose Plant Food.. Hopefully it isn't too much.. They aren't showing any signs of any further problems.. So I hope everything will go smoothly from here on out..

#1 is still lookin good, and any problems with the new growth I saw before have either stopped or started to reverse! So I'm happy. :p
    PICTURES:
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 1 TOP.jpg
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 1 SIDE.jpg
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 1 SIDE CLOSE.jpg
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 1 SIDE (2).jpg

I accidentally Super Cropped the branch on the far left. we'll see what happens.. :p
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 1 SC BRANCH.jpg

Here's some pictures of #2 (Old #4, New #2) the damage on the leaves is from previous problems.. But all of the new growth seems to be looking better.
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 2 TOP.jpg
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 2 SIDE.jpg
    2011-09-17 (Day 38 7F) 2 SIDE CLOSE.jpg

My nutrients are due to arrive on Monday. So I'm looking forward to that. :D Also, my pH meter is supposed to get here mid-week this coming week.

Attached Files:

15. Looking Good! Solo cubs are holding the plants? What's the medium they are in again?

Is that DWC?

16. Thanks! :D .. Yeah.. Well, half-solo cups with window screen for the bottom so the roots can grow out. I'm using perlite for my grow medium.. And yes, it is a DWC. :p

17. the little one on the right... got a good feelin about her.
    leafs look kinda similar to my "haze", hopefully its a nice kush plant. :D
    its definitely stockier than the other. nice!
    i cant f**kin believe you got this far without a ph meter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. NICE! Haha! I hope you're right!!

Haha! You can't?? I actually did my first 2 grows without a pH meter or anything. Just let my water sit out for a few days before I used it and made sure not to over-do the nutes. If I ever had any nute-related problems I'd flush my res and start over. Haha! It worked pretty well for me, but was this the wisest decision? Probably not. :D

I actually had only used my old pH meter a few times before my dog chewed it up. :p I'm looking forward to getting my new pH meter in though! It should be here sometime this week... Hopefully eithin the next few days. :D

19. I am reading Skunk magazine and they had some interesting things to say about hard water and soft water, and how using some tap water will actually help keep bad microbes from living in reservoirs. Anyway you should read it, it's in the 50th anniversary edition that just came out. Sick pics too.

20. Hmm... I'll have to look into that! I think my city's water is one of those beneficial ones, because other than letting it sit out to evaporate the chemicals they add, I've rarely had to do anything to my water. :D

I'll definitely check that out when I have some free time today or tonight though! I love reading, listening or watching just about anything on growing. :p