Closet DWC - Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by siobber, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Haha! They are! I've been really surprised with the amount of growth my babies have done in the past few weeks. They're probably all grown about an inch or two more in the past day or so.

I thought about it some more, and I agree with you. I'm going to stick to my current res. It seems to be working well for me. Thank you for your input! :D

I'll probably send them into flowering here in a week or two.. Sadly, it's about a week until I get paid, which was when I was going to get my rooters for my clones, but I think I have enough spare cash to go ahead and go get the rooters and start my clones tomorrow.. Or maybe Monday if I can't get it done tomorrow. (I'll be out of town for the weekend..)

I Don't have an HID... I REALLY wanted to get one a while back when I had the cash, but sadly now-a-days I don't really have the extra money to be spending on a HID... Plus, there's no shops around here than have any decent ones.. I just have the CFLs.. I do have the correct spectrum for flowering, and I have A TON of them. (That's what I ended up spending my spare cash on a while back instead of a HID)
    So I just plan on surrounding my babies with them..

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Haha! I'll be trying to update more often.. You're keepin' me motivated for sure! Thanks Fif3l! :D

WORD!! That'd be amazing!! :p

2. I bought CFLs and extra stuff to build a nice lighting rig. I realized how expensive it was. I returned them and bought the cheap 250 watt HID from htgsupply. Well worth it. I think it's like $120.

3. Ah! Nice! When I get the spare flow, I'll definitely have to check out HTG! Thanks for the tip! :D I know I shouldn't be, because I'm no more likely to get caught because of ordering a light than I am getting on and posting stuff on this site.. But ordering stuff for my grow online and having it shipped always makes me feel uncomfortable.. But if I can find a good deal and have the cash I'll be ordering a HID for sure! I'm sure it'll help out A TON. Thanks again for the info!

4. #24 siobber, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    Alrighty... So I thought my second air pump was shot because it got completely submerged in water when I was moving to my new apartment (I wont bore you with the details..). I had thought about throwing it out too, but I ended up just drying it off and leaving it in my box of grow supplies.

Today I happened to see it when I was rummaging through the box and decided to give it a try, because I was planning on just going out and buying a new pump Monday for when I was originally planning on taking my clones. So I plugged it in and it started right up! I was SO excited I ran around my apartment like a giddy school-girl for like 10 minutes! ... Then decided it was time to get serious! :p

Needless to say, I started working on cloning my babies. I had a root starter solution from cloning in my last grow which actually worked really well. (So far I have yet to lose a clone.. And I think I've taken like 12 in total not counting these ones..)

I took 4 Clones. One clone from each of the plants excluding #3 (the runt)
    Since #1 and #5 were so much taller than #2 and #4, I decided to top them and use the tops as clones, cutting them down to about the same height as the other two. For #2 and #4 I just ended up taking a clone from each of the lower branches.

I'm sure ya'll know how to clone already, so I wont be going into the whole process, but I followed basic procedure to the T. I'm always very meticulous when I'm cloning.. Gotta keep up my track record! Haha! :D

I'm using the bubbler method. My clones are inserted into a piece of Styrofoam floating on top of the water-root starter solution and pushed through a little more than 1/2 inch.. (I'm using a 3.5 Gallon bucket I used for my last mother, with currently about 1 Gallon of water in it.) I have the tubing for the air-stone running through a hole in the middle so it's centered between all the clones, and a heating pad underneath the res. warming up the water to promote root growth.

As of right now, I have them in their "48 hr dark period" (It might end up being a little shorter than 48 hrs... I KNOW I wont be able to wait. :D) as to stop the process of photosynthesis so the clones can focus on root growth... But as soon as I start the lights up I'll post pictures. :)

I'll be starting off and keeping them in a 12/12 light cycle as to determine the sex of the plants they were taken from before I start the flowering process with the parent plants - pulling one to remain a mother for future clones. (I'm really banking on more than one female)

From now on I'll be listing them as: C# (# being the plant number assigned to the respective "mothers")

5. I can see how you would be uncomfortable. But in reality they are looking for people that buy 1000s of dollars on high wattag HIDs.

6. You make a good point.. There's no need for me to be as worried about it as I am. :p

Did the HID you bought come with a hood? .. Also, do they come with something to adapt/plug into a regular outlet? ... I'm in an apartment, so I really can't be doing any electrical work...

7. Yeah, a simple metal one. Flimsy. Nothing special. But for a small place like mine it doesn't make much of a difference. I took a side off and put the intake to my fan right next to it.

Dude your avatar pic weirds me out

8. Ahh... I see I see.. My grow area is pretty small as well, but I'm mainly just looking for something to keep the light in (well, at least not just shinning out all over the room) with some decent reflective properties so I'm not wasting any lumens. (Hope my terminology is right...)

Haha! I'm sorry it weirds you out! It was a mask I made for Halloween last year and a hat I wear all the time.. I can change it! :p

9. You got it right. Some people have found good cabinets at Wallmart, Home Depot, maybe even target. You need to have flat white paint or a reflective fabric to line it with. Nothing glossy. No tin foil.

Have you read through threads where they show the building cabinets?

10. I have one of those htg lights. Its ok, but im not using it because i cant ventilate it. When i hung it in my tent,it raised the temp about 10degrees, about 5-7 with a fan on full blast. I only had it on for about twenty minutes.If your growing in a cabinet,i dont know if thats the best choice. For another 100, you could defintly get a better 400w with ventilation holes.

11. I've managed to keep my temps low because I put the intake to my fan directly next to bulb. I actually removed a side of their reflector to do this. My temps actually dropped 10 degrees :hello: I was worried when I first installed this light,.

12. how are the plants lookin man?

13. Hey man! I saw you started your new journal! I'm really looking forward to see how it all works out! especially withe the comparison grow! :D

Haha! I wasn't home all day, so my clones are still in the dark.. I'm going to check on them soon. I just got home a little bit ago - and my veg lights are off. I'll update ASAP!

14. #34 siobber, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    It's officially week 4 of veg, so it's about time I did an update! :D

Alrighty.. So I'm going to start out with the bad news, because I dont want to even think about it anymore. Haha!

So my dog and I were just chillin out in the grow room and smoking a bowl before I started working on my plants. I'm assuming she did this because she was super high.. Because normally she's really good about not getting into my grow stuff.. But I started working on my plants and next thing I know, she's tearin my clones out of the Styrofoam! .. Sadly, they're all far past saving now.. And what makes it worse, two of them had little white nodes coming out of the stems as if they were starting to take root.. Oh well.. About to smoke another bowl, eat a bowl of beef stew and forget about it. :smoke:

On to the positive side of things! :p

So my babies seem to be doing pretty good. Today then I woke up and checked on them #1 had a branch that had grown a few inches and was touching a light.. It got a little burnt, but not too bad.

I need to order some new Fox Farm nutrients.. I don't think I'll have enough for next feeding of anything but my Tiger Bloom.. I got paid yesterday, so I'm probably going to try and order them today.. And maybe some other hydro/grow stuff.. Hmm... ... Unless anyone knows of any good nutrients one can find at Earl May? (It's the only garden-related store around here... No hydro shops... :()

-Today I added 9 tsp of Grow Big (3tsp per Gallon) to the res. I seem to have to consistently add about a gallon of water to the res every other day or every few days.
    -I added another power strip with 2x26Watt CFLs at the Veg Spectrum, and 3x26Watt CFLs at the flowering spectrum. (I'm currently too high to care to look up the actual numbers.. I just know what they are. Haha!)

Anyways.. Here's some pictures of how things are going so far:

2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) ALL.jpg
    Here's a sort-of top view of all of my babies...

#1: Has been topped. 5 Nodes with about 4 Tops. Roughly 1.5 feet tall.
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 1 TOP.jpg
    SIDE
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 1 SIDE.jpg

#2: Looking a little weak.. Has about 8 nodes at this point, but is only about 8 inches tall...
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 2 TOP.jpg
    SIDE
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 2 SIDE.jpg

#3: The Runt.. Not much progress.. It's looking like it's dieing, but it's growing very much at all.. (Didnt take any pictures) I'll probably kill it soon.

#4: Looking pretty good. Roughly 10 nodes and stands about a foot tall.
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 4 TOP.jpg
    SIDE
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 4 SIDE.jpg

#5: Has been topped.. Has 7 nodes, with about 6-8 tops. Stands about 1.5 feet tall.
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 5 TOP.jpg
    SIDE
    2011-09-07 Day 28 V (Week 4) 5 SIDE.jpg

I'm probably going to rest the light cycle for flowering, and switch all of the lights but a few to the flowering spectrum. I'll either pull clones once they show signs, or just order some fem'd seeds if I can bring myself to do it. Haha!

As always, questions, comments, critique are always welcome! :D

15. ... Some pictures of my dog... :D
    2011-09-07 11.23.52.jpg
    2011-09-07 11.25.47.jpg
    2010-08-25 21.25.56.jpg

16. #36 siobber, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
    Today is day 30 of my babies' Veg stage.

I decided about a week ago, that I was going to begin the dark-period before starting the flowering lighting cycle on day 30.. And I'm pretty satisfied with how my plants are doing so far.. I'm ready to start seeing buds! :D (Plus if I let them get much bigger, I'll theoretically run out of space)

I switched the lights off (pulled the plug out of the timer) at aprox. noon (1200) today. That means the 48-hr dark period would end at noon on Sunday. Now, I have a problem here, the schedule would then be: ON 1200 (noon) and OFF 0000 (midnight).. I don't want my lights running during the night (some light glows out of my closet and you can see the slight glow through the blankets I put up over my windows), so I'm thinking I'm going to cut the 48-hr dark-period to a 43-hr dark-period so I can have my lights be on a: ON 0700 (7AM) and OFF 1900 (7PM).

Is this a good idea? Do they need the full 48-hrs? I know people straight up switch all of the time - I was one of them. ... But I read this helps trigger the flowering hormones and help the plant to show signs/begin flowering faster.

... No changes really in the plants.. The nodes and stems of the corresponding fan leaves on #1 and #5 have started turning purple.. Now, I don't know what my strains are.. But I've read that there are strains that just happen to turn purple. This started happening about 2-3 days ago (Day 27-28 Veg). Does anyone know what this could mean?

I've read that it could be a temp problem (too cold at night). I'm not sure, but I really doubt there's a temp problem. Most of the time I'm working to keep it down! Haha! And I only run my fans with the lights..

I've also read up on various nutrient deficiencies.. From what I've gathered, I could have a Nitrogen Deficiency.. (I feel like I have to add that it's really only the nodes and the fan leaf stems that have turned purple, and I have yet to see any other signs of anything being wrong with them as of now.) Anyways, if it IS a Nitrogen deficiency, I don't have anything - or the immediate availability of anything only containing Nitrogen.. But I do have Fox Farm Grow Big.. (Only a little left) Should I just add more of that? I'd hate to over-do it on the other nutes..

... I'm going to be ordering more of the Fox Farm Trio A.S.A.P.

17. Alrighty, So I have officially ordered my Fox Farm nutrients. They're going to email me when they ship it out and then give me a tracking number so I can track it. I'm having it shipped UPS-Ground.. So I'll hopefully have them in a week or a week and a half.

Does anyone know of anything I can substitute for my Grow Big formula (NPK: 6-4-4) or some sort of Nitrogen booster-thingy that I can get at like Earl May or WalMart? I'd just go look for myself, but I'd have to hoof -it all the way across town.. (Last time I did it, it took me about 2.5 hrs to walk to Earl May - and they didn't even have what I needed or it was more expensive than I can justify with my budget. :p)

... Also, I'm out of my Big Bloom formula (NPK: 0.01-0.3-0.7).. If anyone knows if there's something at the same place that I could get a substinute (haha! Substitute - Nute :D ... Sorry.. I thought it was funny.) for the Big Bloom, I'd love to pick up some of that as well - I'm going to be needing Big Bloom or some sort of substinute in less than a week.

According to the Fox Farm schedule at Week 5 (which they have as the first week of flowering - so Week 4 for me) I should be adding more Big Bloom (3tsp/Gal) and Tiger Bloom (2tsp/Gal) - which for this first feeding in flowering, I'll be doing 1/2 strength (1tsp/Gal), and stepping it up to full strength with the next.

... ANY help would be amazing! I've honestly searched and searched the web and I'm not even sure if there's a hydro shop in my state.. And for sure not a single one in MY area.. :(

18. I don't know anything about feeding schedules...sry

But I know you can use cheap Schultz ferts, or others that you can pick up at Home Depot or Walmart. Everyone has their opinion. I'm using something called Vigaro or something along those lines. It gave them quite a jolt of N they grew insane overnight!

19. Thanks for the suggestion man! I officially looked up all of the Liquid nutes WalMart sells, with their NPK values and other information I thought would be useful for making my decision on what to get.. Now I'll just have to get across town.. :p

20. Ford is using cheap nutes all the way through flowering. He's rockin it out.