Build your own grow cabinet system.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by TranceKid, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Nice clone box

2. Dude, just 'cause I know how to use Photoshop, don't mean I know how to grow weed, or for that matter, build shit.

Remember, the hack with the longest pole, rarely catches the biggest fish. (if I did them lame-ass smiley faces, I'd put one, here, but I don't!)

The cabinet that I drew is only one of a million possible configurations.

I like dogg's design for a simple veg box.

I'd like to see someone's idea for a stealth cabinet using an HID. And I really want to see an LED panel fit into a cabinet.

There's a 48 inch Closetmaid. It only costs a little more than the 30" version I used. It’s got two side by side compartments that would be perfect for harvesting every 6 weeks.

Then there are the waist high cabinets that would work for dwarfs and autos. How about a design for a low profile lighting system? How about a low profile hydro system? And I've yet to see a cool design for a computer fan stink filter. I actually built the one in my drawing last night, and although it came out pretty cool, it is far from an elegant solution.
    So, come on... get designing! Your drawing skills are irrelevant. Your idea is what’s important!

3. High Guys and Gals:wave:...

As a grower that fully believes in building our own rather then paying the outlandish prices they have for this stuff, I love your idea here dog...:D

Ive built all my own systems.. and grow areas...

One thing i noticed is the pc fan thing....
    The best advise i can give is dont use them.
    The best results will be from the areas with the best air movement,
    a small reg fan moves much more air then a cp fan.
    If this continues to get attention we will surely make it a sticky...
    I also see some talk about sound proofing..
    In the early 90's I used to build the computer rooms for Art van.
    Ill post a view showing you how we did the walls to achive that...
    Its the vibration that allows the nioise to travel...

But rock on guys...:D
    Also my cloner diy and buckets, diy may be helpful to some of you blades.
    Its the most inexpensive way I could do it with achieveing great results

4. Thats some solid advice man! I thought pc fans were just something super basic, but of course if you need more airflow you could go that way :)
    Your DIY threads actually inspired me to create this thread! :D

5. #45 eastcoast22, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hey bro check out my grow in my sig. I have a 250 watt hid in a cab. This will be my first grow ever and wonder about the height issue. I plan to scrog it. If I want more space in the future I can move the fan to another container.

6. Here is a cabinet design another user off another forum made.

[​IMG]

7. I used styrofoam insulation in my cab and it held in a lot of heat, but it all depends on how you're are venting it. I took it out and the heat dropped 10 degrees. I put it in for noise dampening and just said screw it and ripped it out. What an effin mess.

8. I find styrofoam is ok to block sound...I've been using soundboard for my house walls and it works pretty damn well. Insulation + wood + soundboard works amazing...you could have a rave in one of the house's rooms and the next bedroom can't hear it. :smoke:

9. God the last time I went to a rave was in 1997. I remember my friend was so f'd (i'm trying to curb my language) up he played with those damn glow sticks all night. His fingers were so black and blue I was making fun of him for...well til now :smoke:

10. Last time I went to a rave it was a let down, spent 4 hours truing to sleep in the front of my van whilst buzzing off a rare E while my G.F slept off her Whitey!! Then drove home for 2 hours the next day. Barely a soundsystem. lol

The time before that however......Off my nut haha

11. Have strayed from the original design but hey... BIGGER IS BETTER Mwah ha ha ha

Attached Files:

12. Very nice design. two veg chambers combined help get more yield! :)

13. You may need a 2nd intake.

14. Depends on the temps and what fans he uses. He could use intake/exhaust in the vegging chamber.

15. #55 SourCandy, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
    i am using this as a normal grow box for this grow. but when its nearing its end im going to add a veg chamber. the veg chamber will be 2'x3.5'x2' and have (5) 55 watt cfl(4daylight 1 2700k) 275 watts. it will have 1 passive intake and a 4 inch fan from
    walmart(5$) and 1 oscillating fan and then the flowering chamber is 3'x3.5'x2' and will have a 240w blackstar dimenions are 17"x9" running at 180w. 4 cfls all 55 watts totalling the flower chamber to 400watts it will also have 2 passive intakes and 1 4 inch exhaust fan from walmart. this chamber will also have an oscillating fan blowing on the plants as wellx

i found the lights on eBay for a total of $411.99 shipped and the box cost less then 100$ for the wood and mylar substitute inside of it. the two fans cost 10$ chambers will be split with a bunch of black trashbags lined so no light gets trough stapled into the box

total cost about $522+ box of black heavy duty trashbags and 2 fans to air on plants(didnt buy last 2 items yet)

you could have 4 plants vegging at all times or even do autoflowers on one side or something

note: changed my mind on watt lights of cfls after drawing it up but thats the right price for the lights with what i typed.

Attached Files:

16. Nice design! I personally have the blackstar 240w and I know it would cover that area very well with cfl light supplementation.

17. #57 SourCandy, Sep 5, 2011
    thank you im going to get the new flowering model and use it over there. do you flower with your 240w blakstar? i really cant find that much info on it but its not too too expensive and its not going to burn my house down so its worth a try i guess. if it fails ill have 220 watts of cfl in there anyway so shouldnt be that bad of a yield i would imagine.

18. I didn't flower with it, I have the 2011 veg/clone model and it works awesome for 5 plants and can handle 6-7 plants okay even without CFL light. So you should be pretty good.
    From what I've seen, blackstars give pretty good results, not the best but still very good for only 280-300$.

19. #59 SourCandy, Sep 5, 2011
    thats good to hear because im just doing this for personal use i just want to be able to harvest anywhere from a qp to hp and ill be the happiest guy alive especially if it only cost me like $1000 one time fee plus seeds, soil, and nutes but thats all cheap stuff.

20. Well, DIY route may possibly be the cheapest way to go :smoke: