Maui Waui closet/soil micro grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Thunderstrike420, Aug 15, 2011.

1. #1 Thunderstrike420, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    Hey Everyone,

In keeping with the theme of sharing grow info and best practices, I thought I would share some of the basics of my current micro grow in a closet in my office!
    I started with a bag of 10 seeds of Maui Waui that I ordered from Amsterdam and unfortunately, many of them got crushed in the mail. The good news is, 2 seeds did germinate. I simply put the seeds in a shot glass of water, (I'm on a well and my water is 6.2 on the PH scale so all good) Once the seeds sank, I put them each in a soil mix of Jiffy Organic seed starting Jiffy Mix and added a small amount of perlite and a product called no damp off which prevents root rot. I used those cardboard looking small cups and gently placed the seeds into the slighly damp soil mix. (I chose this soil mix because it has very few nutes in it which can burn your babies when they are so small.) Once I had the seeds placed maybe 1/4 inch or so into the dirt, I placed them all under a flourecent double bulb 4 footer with one cool and one hot light in it. (This set up mimics full spectrum) After the 2 seeds germinated and grew about 2 inches tall, I moved them to my grow closet.
    My closet is outfitted with a 1000 watt metal halide/HP Sodium combo light so I can have the best of both worlds, Metal Halide for vegging and High Pressure Sodium for Flower stage. I have the light suspended from a shelf at the top of the closet on a pulley so it is easily adjustable. I have 2 small fans, 1 - 8 inch and 1 - 6 inch fan moving air around a bathroom ceiling fan with an exhaust tube (like on a dryer) taking the air up to my attic. At the end of the tube, I attached two pieces of Carbon Odor Filters that I bought at Walmart for about 8 bucks. They are designed for an air cleaner but the are easy to cut with sissors and do a great job keeping the odor to a minimum. The actual box that I bought is called Holmes HAPF60. I wrapped the entire inside of my closet with mylar to maximize my 1000 watt light and it also helps with keeping light on the lower branches because of the reflection. During the vegging stage, I prefer 24/0 which is light all the time. The plants grew pretty quickly and as you can see from my links, they are fat, healthy and tall! Once I started the flowering phase, I switched to 12/12 and this is easily done with a simple timer. Be sure to pay attention to power outages from thunderstorms as you want the light to come on and go off at the same time daily.
    I bought FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting soil for my main medium and I bought Earth Juice Grow and Earth Juice Bloom for my nutes. The grow nutes are mainly made from bat and bird guano so I guess it's pretty organic. The directions are pretty simple on the bottles of the Earth Juice and I recommend diluting the mix slightly with some PH corrected water. I made it a habit of mixing the nutes and water in two Arizona Tea gallon jugs that I have and they work great and I recommend when you water, use the nutes 3 times and water only for the 4th watering and repeat. This will hopefully prevent any of the nute burn that is so common or salt build up in your soil. The way that I can tell when it's time to water is by picking up the pot that the plant is in when it's dry, then you will get really good at telling when they need water again by the weight. Be sure to let your plants dry completely for a day or so before watering again because your plants roots actually need oxygen. I also added my own home made CO2 generator made from a 2 liter soda bottle, some aquarium tubing and silicone. Then you add warm water, sugar and brewers yeast and a pinch of baking soda, put a Tee connection at the plant end of the aquarium hose and add two blue stone diffusers. Now all you have to do is turn your fans off for a couple of hours a day and hang the diffusers over your plants to enrich the already existing CO2 in the air. I close off the doors during this time to keep the CO2 inside. By the way, CO2 is naturally heavier than air so it "drops" down on your plants. You can see vids on Youtube on how to make one of these. (here is a better solution that I''ll use on my next grow) Hydroponics, Indoor Gardening Supplies, Hydroponic Systems - home Of the 2 plants that grew, one turned out to be a male so he is no longer with us! :) Lastly, I never left her un attended for more than 2 days without visually checking her. To really get the results you want, I feel you have to stay on top of everything! I am always glad to answer any questions and help anyone who I can. I am not an expert and I still am loving the learning curve, but I have had many growing successes and I am glad to share the things that I have found to work! Check out my sig link for updated progress and latest pics of my grow that I described above![​IMG] http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3756

Peace