Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Politics' started by craigd89, Aug 14, 2011.

1. We don't hear hardly anything about them in New York City anymore. They're largely forgotten becasuse they alienated those who initally were open to them, such as churches, local residents near places where they were squatting, local businesses, unions, liberal politicians, various other political action groups, the media, regular working people, etc. I think that possibly there's still a few OWS die-hards left, but for the most part they're gone.

2. [quote name='"garrison68"']We don't hear hardly anything about them in New York City anymore. They're largely forgotten becasuse they alienated those who initally were open to them, such as churches, local residents near places where they were squatting, local businesses, unions, liberal politicians, various other political action groups, the media, regular working people, etc. I think that possibly there's still a few OWS die-hards left, but for the most part they're gone.[/quote]

Didn't realize you spoke for all of NY.

3. In his mind he does.

4. They might be gone from Zuccotti Park, but their are other cities, towns, etc, where the occupation is still going strong.

5. The few people that remain in OWS are now looking to celebrate it's one year anniversary, on Sept. 17, by disrupting the financial district of New York City. They still don't get that they're wasting their time in NYC. Some of them claim that they are going to bring handcuffs to make citizens arrests of "bankers" (which Wall Street people are not, but don't try to tell that to OWS). Somebody is going to get hurt if they try that on the wrong person or persons. I doubt that they'll be allowed close to Wall Street, without heavy police presence, anyway.

Occupy Sets Wall Street Tie-Up as Protesters Face Burnout - Bloomberg

6. They should deface federal reserve buildings if anything

7. Occupy Wall Street is demonstrating in New York City today, on the one year anniversary of it's beginning. Reports estimate that there's been over fifty arrests so far this morning.

8. #6852 garrison68, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012

The number of arrestees from yesterday has been updated to about 200.

There is a popular trend by out-of-towners for getting themselves arrested in New York City at Occupy Wall Street demonstrations. They come here from the suburbs, or in some cases Canada, or other countries, insult the police and citizens of NYC, block the sidewalks and streets, and subsequently spend a few hours in a precinct for disorderly conduct. The most they can be fined for a first offense such as this is $250.00, and usually they get off for less, or nothing.

New York City should capitalize on this fad. The City should cut to the chase and let these upper middle-class radicals pay a thousand bucks in advance for a planned arrest, in which they'd be able to go home with keepsakes such as photos of themselves with their arresting officer and in the jail cell, plastic disposable hand restraints that are used by the cops, mug shots, fingerprinting sheet, etc. These photos and souvenirs will make good coffee table conversation pieces, for when they get back to Scarsdale, Nova Scotia, etc., and New York City will at least be able to break even on what the taxpayers spend on these idiots.

There could be a market for shirts with the legend, "My friends got arrested in New York at Occupy Wall Street, and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!"

9. Yeah, not hearing much about Occupy lately.

10. OWS doesnt have shit on the greeks

11. Many of those arrested in NYC during Occupy Wall Street demonstrations have found that going to court isn't as easy as they thought it would be.  Those who insisted on going to trial, especially ones who do not live in NYC, didn't foresee having multiple court appearances in the city's beleaguered court system, so most consented to plea bargaining rather than continue to fight for a lost and mostly forgotten cause.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-usa-occupy-courts-idUSBRE98200N20130903

12. The Occupiers still exist? LOL. To funny. My 401k is very fat from this years very large increase in the stock market. Now that the blessed Quantative Easing is at its end and winding down time to move it out to something safer. Thank you Wall Street and Big Daddy Obama. Just my 401k alone has had a 35% return. To good.

13. The fourth anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street debacle is coming up. There doesn't seem to be any activity at all, to revive the movement, or even commemorate the date they started.

The founders of this movement have admitted it was a failure.

I am glad that I got a chance to visit the epicenter of the Occupy movement, Zuccotti Park, while the occupiers were there, about a week or so before the NYPD kicked them out and the Sanitation Dept. cleaned it up.

14. They were angry at the right people, just didn't provide any fucking solutions. I think some people believe BLM will go the way of OWS however I think some people in BLM learned that they need to make actual demands and policy suggestions instead of just noise like OWS. Recently the more official BLM chapters have come out with decent platforms for criminal justice reform, and I think they will not die out as easily because this issue will continue to flare up unlike Wall Street bailouts, which most have people have forgotten about and moved on from. A movement needs to have direction otherwise it's just an angry mob.

15. #6860 garrison68, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
    What a lot of people do not realize is that while it is true that the government bailed out some large banking institutions, the money was paid back, with a substantial amount of penalties and interest.

The Occupy people wanted student loans forgiven, no more mortgage foreclosures, free or heavily subsidized college tuition for any school, etc. T

If the students had gone to affordable state or city colleges, the Occupy movement may have never even started.

Banks are not to blame for mortgages going bad, it's the government's fault for forcing them to give loans to unqualified home buyers. I never bought a home, why should I care about some idiot that got in too deep, and lost it? I'd rather see companies that employ people stay in business, that's more important. If you lose your house, then you can still rent. If you lose your job, you may not even be able to pay rent.

They'll learn, if they haven't already.