Don't People Look Stupid When They Eat?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 12, 2011.

1. #41 mandrin13, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2011
    Lethargy could be part of the problem, but I believe the biggest is ignorance, so that is probably why I think it would be better to provide substance rather than start a thread, with a misleading title. I don't think people can grasp how their life style could directly effects others in a negative way, even me, how do I really know, you know. But even once I know, the next step is how do I change my actions? I see now from your response you only want to make us think, so I will leave it at that, it certainly isn't your job, but I think a few people would probably make minor changes if easy, reasonable solutions are presented here, in this thread about hunger.

You said you wanted to motivate people, but anyone who interested in helping, or even educating themselves on world hunger, wont be clicking a thread about how people look when eating, so really, who are you trying to motivate? (You need to at least get them in here if you claim to want to raise awareness). I think all of us who responded to you in regards to what I am saying get your point with the added explanation, and I can see where your coming from in regards to not wanting to spoon feed links and making people think for themselves I guess, but really this was a thread with random pics, which probably resulted in people who you could have possibly motivated, to instead click the back button and go on to another thread. Your follow up post today cleared up a lot and imho was much better, so I dont think it is, and really wasn't, a big issue, but that is where I was coming from. I think some may be disappointing since it could be a great thread, though I do think you and others started to raise the quality today before I posted.

Why not add the topic of activism now? I wont add on as I dont want to derail, but why start the thread and say this thread is only to inform people that there are starving humans in the world, cause we already know that the problem exists, I just dont think we realize why it exists, because it isn't that there is not enough food on the planet. We need to see how our actions affect others directly, as you mentioned in your second or third post.

ill admit, this thread isn't a bad one.

edit: If any of you are good at baseball, you can play for teams like Tampa Bay (ugh). I just heard on the TV and they said they give 5gs to their hunger charity for every home run, thread over, I have solved world hunger.
    edit#2: I dub myself the king of runons.

2. Sounds like you just wanted an argument. Anyway, I give up. I don't know who you think you are, but have being them.

3. #43 edward, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2011
    Maybe you look stupid when you eat... I look freakin' awesome when I eat.

So awesome, in fact, that a girl once told me that "[she] likes watching me eat." Is that supposed to mean she wants me?

4. You were supposed to go down on her dude.

5. How are we supposed to fund the multiple wars we have going on if I donate to aid those who truly need it?

:rolleyes:

6. Is 'demacrate' a verb like democratize? Usually the red squiggly line under a word is for a misspelling but I guess it's for when a word's not really a word too.

7. The only reason I don't contribute is because I don't see a reason to trust those who are asking for money. I mean, there are always some who work, but you never know. It feels like the church basket, they say they'll help those in need, but every so often, the chapel gets upgraded, and I haven't heard of a church sponsored blood drive nor a help out the poor drives that get done that often.

8. This is my concern. I'm quite cynical in nature. I'm more than happy to donate 10% of whatever income I get, it's just that you can't trust many people/organizations. Especially celebrity sponsored ones. Except the ones Michael Jackson sponsored.

9. Donating 100 dollars, and still living a selfish life, wont help them.

10. I was watching my friend eat the other night and could not stop laughing. I'm not even going to bother reading the above 50 posts arguing about starving people. However, I will say that before each meal I eat, I do hold in rememberance my own gratefulness to be able to experience the delicious plate of food that lies before my body. I often hold the food as a form of sacrifice and wish that in some way or another that this meal will benefit some other.

11. I know right? It is funny. Especially when it's something bigger than their mouths like watermelon or burgers.

A noble practice. All I can ask if that you don't limit yourself to wishing, and take some active steps to put some food on somebody elses' plate.

12. I was just at a buffet yesterday, I found it hilarious and somewhat disgusting how everyone flocked to the "Feeding troughs"
    While I was in line I couldn't help imagining some men poking us with sticks to herd as along and music playing to cue us into our frenzy

When i think about all the food that is wasted at these places...all the shit the dishwashers getting payed below minimum wage have to clear off the plates

I think its probably a good thing if no one in Somalia found out about Golden Corral.

I think it would be nice if we invested in transportation technology so people could move around and realize there's more to see than their Facebook status updates...

Would probably be really good too if people spoke more languages...people kinda get isolated in their cultural bubbles...

It seems to me people need more than just guilt to help poor people out, they need to have genuine respect/admiration/love for these people so its something they want to do...but it seems that the internet doesn't always connect the world as much as we'd like (except in the way of piratebay files from europe) idk

13. I can't stop laughing.

14. My god. Such a powerful opening post.

15. Assume not that I disagree with this principle: Are you a eugenecist?

16. You know whether a man is intelligent by his answers and wise by his questions.

Every time i read a post with a question followed by *i'm interested* it puts a smile on my face.

I thank god before every meal but is that enough?

17. This thread doesn't change anything. That's why I laughed.

My apologies for being brutally honest, Sam.

18. Funny that you mention this. I was observing how people eat yesterday while I was at the restaurant. A lot of people throw in some odd facial expressions while eating. :confused:

19. Not giving ANY money to Africa.

20. Why not?