How To Tell Whether Your Plants Male Female Or A Hermaphrodite

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by Skunky Monkey, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I find that alot of the times I go for the feminized seeds that I run into a herm problem. I keep an eye on the plants but sometimes you just do not see the male pollen sacks and you get a room full of seeded plants.

2. i really have not had any trouble with hermies ....a lot of indica plants will throw up a couple of male nanas if left over their flowering time by a few weeks to try to pollinate itself as a way of surviving in the wild ,,it happens indoors as well ,,this happens and the plant is not a hermie,,,it happens as well when growin female seeds ,,if you leave the plants as i said few weeks over flowering time it will do this .thiscan happen with reg or female seed.....mac

3. Some of the images aren't showing up for me. Is it like that for anyone else?

4. helpt out this newbie THANKS!!

5. I just found two hermies in my garden. I have three different types, but the two Pineapple Chunk plants turned and the other 4 didn't. they are two tangerine dreams and two berry bombs. Is there a way to minimize seeds? I got them out early but I don't know for sure if anything was pollinated or not. The balls weren't there 24 hours ago. I'm new to this and haven't had this happen before. Thanks for any info!

6. well if you got the patience you could try and take all the male pods off the plants you find them on ,,,but if even just one flower opens and you dont catch it ,youll find a lot of buds with seed,,,,is there any where else were you can isolate the two with the male flowers on them ,,,if not i'd trash them ,but thats just would i'd do ...mac

7. Thanks. I trashed them even though I didn't want to. Just don't want it to get worse than it might be. I just can't believe they appeared overnight. Really sucks. I just don't understand why the pineapple chunk was the only kind to hermaphrodite. Thanks a lot for the info.

8. Damn those Balls!!! [​IMG] great pics dude, really helpful for beginners

9. =====
    its probably nothing you did GG ...more like a breeder problem ,,,,,,,,mac

10. Hope Mac or someone still peeks in here. I have a late stage flowering Blue Mystic I will post pics in a second I can't find this post on my phone so I have to post here to find it there lol. Anyway here is some info she is about 8-9 1/2 weeks into flower, recent rain issues and other abnormal southern california anomalies like lack of sun.... Have caused me to have to move her in and out between my 400 in a spare veg area and back outside. I feel like her 12hr timeline had been screwed with too much and it is causing her to late stage herm. From what I see in the photos and in person are small flower or balls forming between my calyx's which have stopped fattening too soon and seem to be showing these little new growth signs all over her buds now. =/ Ok will post pics now from phone.

11. Chopped a bud to examine under scope and they def look like pods of some sort and are new growth and not hairs or calyxs... I cannot think of anything else to be exhibiting new growth sites right now... other than a herm.

Attached Files:

12. Here's some of the plant also.

Attached Files:

13. NM confirmed and chopped

14. #1014 mactheman, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    sorry Falling leaves i am a bit late answering ,,,some times ive seem pods that open and send pistils out of them ,,,i would have taken a couple off the plant and carefully opened them up to look inside to see if they had the start of pollen sacks in there ,,,,or whether there were the making of the pistils or not ,,,,but some times them pods confuse people .a friend of mine had them on his plant but he wouldnt believe me ,but he waited and the pods opened up and sent white hairs out ,,,but like ive said i would have taken a pod off the plant to look inside it,,,mac

15. Def not premium lol. However will make some good butter. She is hanging still. Smells fantastic though. I also had cut a small nug to inspect about 10 days ago. Brown bagged her for a quick smoke after I looked her over good with a scope. Was twisted up earlier with my better half who smoked most of it cause it tasted great an smooth. Damn I wish she would of finished. :/ I actually checked the pods these aren't on the stem or the crevices of the branches these were literally starting to form in the buds like up out where the hairs tips stand. They were very clearly small flowers or pods forming. I agree 100% tho there are pics in my journal of my NL auto she popped pods round balls on stem... like a single ball but everywhere else calyxs. So I removed one left the other and watched and sure enough erupted with hairs a while later. :)

Attached Files:

16. I apparently forgot to mention those balls were located AFTER I chopped cause I had seen what I felt was confirmation via pics and videos around the web. Near identical images. So I chop her down feeling slightly confident slightly worried lol. Then the balls made me feel way better. So I got lucky was def not a skill job. Thanks for the reply Mac and you weren't late at all. I just was really on the spot with the research. =)

17. #1017 mactheman, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
    glad to reply to you Fallingleaves,,,its just a friend had the same problem with pods growing and he thought they were male flowers ,,,but i told him to leave them cuz id had the same on a plant i had and they opened and there were female flowers forming inside them ....so i thought maybe thatswhat was going down with your plants ,but you found male flowres when you chopped so at least your plant didnt go to seed,,mac

18. Pure luck. I just figured why chance it since she had some amber and looked like she stalled out right when she started swelling. :/ Ugh could of been great smoke.

19. have you ever run across a regular seed, from a seedbank go hermie?
    i only use regular seeds, after a feminized plant had buds on it then turned hermie and ruined 5 female AK48 plants.
    I ordered 10 regular seedsAK48,s from bonza and i got a free female seed. it was blueberry headband. i was reluctant to
    add the feminised seed to the grow. but i did after looking at the final results of blueberryHB. big mistake.
    im running blueberry, afghani kush and AK 48 right now all reg. blueberrys have been in veg for 7 weeks now and have pre flowered. all blueberrys have hairs no balls.
    My question is can they grow balls after pre flower. im trying to sex before putting on 12/12.
    if i drop the time from 18/6 to 16/8 will they sex faster in veg. i plan on vegging for 10 weeks as blueberry is a short plant. the ak48 ill sex in flower. they can get tall.

20. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Grasscity Forum mobile app
    New to growing, 5 weeks into flower need help to see where I am at so far.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Grasscity Forum mobile app