New guy in need of advice.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cannadave, Jul 30, 2011.

1. First thanks in advance for any help. I have been haunting a few forums and websites reading everything I could find the medical benefits of MJ for quite a while now. A couple of months ago I decided to put it to the test. My life has been a bit of a health wreak for the last five years with cancer ( and a damaged spine from tumors) sleep apnea, disautonomia, any hyper tension. After just a few months I am only on meds for my blood pressure. I don't even take over the counter pain meds anymore. My only worries now are the availability of a good strain at the quality and purity of my meds. So I have decided to grow my own. I only have a 2x2x4 space and no experience. Here are my questions.

1) my main problems are pain, stress, and sleep. I have major problems getting to sleep. So what are the best strains for that?
    2) my head is spinning from trying to judge what seed bank to use. Which ones do you advice for both quality and reasonable discretion?
    3) I am leaning towards soil for my first time or maybe 2 pots soil and 1 pot hydro. What do you think?
    4) I am sure there are questions I am not thinking to ask so if have any relevant knowledge I am all ears.... Or um eyes :)

Thank again for your time.

Feel the love, be the peace!
    CannaDave.

2. As far as seed banks go, go to the Marijuana Cultivation tab on the top of this page and near the bottom you will see a title for "Seed Banks" tap that and the first sticky will guide you to all the current and legit seed banks...I personally use weed-seeds.net...I always get what I order from them and they have a huge selection to choose from.

3. #3 Doc-J, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Not sure about which strain to tell ya to go for, I am still new at this too.

As growsensmokes said, check out the seed bank section for opinions and experiences. Prepare to be overwhelmed with information, and conflicting stories no matter which one you are looking at. Every company out there has had bad experiences, and sometimes seeds just don't make it where they are going. I think that's just part of it for people from my location though. I've narrowed my choices down to attitude seed bank or seed boutique based on what I have read and price, but don't take my word check out the reviews for yourself.

Soil or hydro is a personal choice, but I wouldn't try to do both. Hydro is going to require more stuff to get you going, and more reading on different feeding solutions, hydro setup, and so forth. I chose soil for my first grow. Reason being, I didn't want the extra cost of a hydro setup, and a lot of people seem to believe soil gives a better taste in the end product. Probably personal preference but you wont know for sure until you try both ways and see which one you like best.

Just read the stickies here, they will enlighten you. Combine them with the search function and there aren't many question that haven't already been answered, most of them several times.

4. Thanks for the tip. I am headed to the seed bank station now.

5. #5 TWISTA, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011

Some master kush by nirvana or anything else indica based. papaya/skunk/blue mystic/ak48 etc.etc.

http://www.nirvanashop.com/en/
    :D

6. Yes, there are ton's of strains that make you sleep like a baby.

There are ton's of decent seed banks in which to buy your seeds, of the actually seed company's out there from the banks, I recomend Mandala and Nirvana to beginners as the genetics are less picky and the quality is good and consistent, you can find just about every different kind there is in these two companies and the prices are fantastic.

Soil is less picky, more forgiving of the learning curve, easy to get, easy to fix, portable, ammendable, reusable, and plants are supposed to grow in it...so they do.

Invest your money in a space, an HPS light, ventilation and a decent ph pen...make seeds a lower priority, they are everywhere for your puroosal and purchase, but if you don't have the means of popping them and supporting their growth your investment in expensive seeds will go down the drain. Invest in complicated genetics when your have honed your skills.

7. #7 cannadave, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sounds like good advice. Thank you.