Outdoor germination with regard to frost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by deft, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I live in an area where it is still freezing allmost every night. I want to plant as soon as possible but I have a problem, no personal space large enough to grow plants to a size where a light frost isnt a huge risk. Anyone who has germinated outdoors have input? Am I crazy to want to germinate outside? And does anyone have a site that lists safe times to plant frost susceptable plants within latitudes/areas in America?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Whatever you do, don't germinate your seed and try to grow when it is still frosty, your plants WILL die if you do this.

Just give it a couple more weeks and see how it is then.

3. I just dont know a time when it will definatly be safe, anyone in northern New England have any experience with frost specifically? Its somthing I havent had to deal with since I usualy work with native perenials.

4. I'd wait until May 15th, at least.

5. Yea I was thinking early may and see how it looks.

6. for this you will need to find one 2 litre bottle for every plant you plan on growing. next cut the bottle about 3-4 inches from the bottom. now you have a top and bottom piece. the bottom piece gets filled 3/4 of the way with the soil of your choice. next drill, or poke, a few holes into the top of the cap. plant the seeds in the soil and put the top on and you've got a nice little place for your babies to harden off and get used to the environment. move them to your spot and check water everyday (maybe not everyday, depends on temps and whatnot) the holes in the cap are to allow air flow, if the cap stays on, there will be a good amount of humidity in there, unless the weather is cold.

another way to do it is to do pretty much the same thing, but cut the bottom of the bottom piece off and stick it in the soil, so the plant still has the protection, but also is in the ground, establishing it's roots.

7. :wave: Hello there!
    I live on Vancouver Island BC Canada I start germinating my seeds in FEBUARY! once sprouted I plant and leave inside by a sunny window untill the end of MARCH,I have now just built a COLD HOUSE outside to carry them through untill MAY LONG WEEKEND. By building a small cold house it acts just like a green house keeping your babies from frost bite while still enjoying the sun they require. Building cold houses are sooooooo simple yet very effective! all you need is a roll of polly and 5 stickes about 20-30 inches to hold it all up. there are also some simple cold house guides online.
    We are still getting frost,and my babies couldn't be any happier!
    VanIslandWitch:smoke: