How To Make Good Oil Step By Step With Pictures

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by GreenOperator, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I did it last week, only on a 4 grams, but mine still came out as Amber shatter. I wasn't doing it to change color, just forgot a step so I had to dissolve it to start over. My temps don't get over 100. Gonna raise um a lil because I come to the conclusion I don't like shatter. Shit flies everywhere!

2. Gonna be getting me some new seeds soon, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a strain that might produce more wax/oil than others that they've had experience with. I've read strain descriptions but feel most are a sales pitch. Thank you!

3. I am new to this idea but have read quite a bit about it. I have two questions.
    1. Why use Isopropyl? Its got water in it and its grain alcohol - the type that use to blind people back in the bad mooshine days. If you are going to use IOSpropyl why not use Denatured Alcohol no water its way more refined - will still blind you if you drink it, and vapors pass directly into your blood stream bypassing the stomach and intestines.
    2. If you are going to ingest this at all via vapors while cooking or if you left some in the oil cooking process why not use Everclear its 190 proof and food grade that won't harm you - I think its worth the price to save yourself from potential permanent harm.
    I am new to the idea as I said so maybe there is something I don't know but health and safety is my first concern. BHO is banned here in Colorado but EverClear you can buy at a licensed liquor store. I am looking into doing this myself but lets not cause harm that ends up in the news in the future - we'll all look like crack or meth addicts in the eyes of the media.

4. Grain alcohol is not what makes people blind from moonshine, that would be methanol. Denatured has methanol and/or isopropyl in it, no bueno.

You should never use isopropyl in my opinion, high proof grain alcohol is best for alcohol extractions.

5. I'm new to this I thought it was important to only do a quick wash with ISO so as not to extract harmful chlorophyll. I'm confused now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #126 greenbuzz79, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015

No ISO! Read above post! Confused?

7. can't get grain alcohol in UK, can't get high % Russian vodka either. Can anyone recommend anything liquid that's not harmful for extraction to make high grade cbd oil for cancer cure. I have a mb2 machine and would like to use it

Thanks

8. you can order ethanol online.

9. I am having the same issue in the UK. Spyritus or Poteen (online) is the best option, but damn is it expensive!!! Hence my looking at a qwiso or bho extraction, added to a few fl oz of Spyritus or Poteen...........

10. What is the least amount of bud/trimmings/leaves you can use to make some oil? I'm sure you would need at least a certain amount to do this, not just like a few grams.. or am I wrong? I'm not sure

11. I expect 10% return. Ex: 50 gram run should yield 5 grams give or take. Biggest factor is quality of bud or trimmings. Good luck!

12. Todays batch of qwiso just wont dry i made it last night around 8 pm dried it out almost all the way before i went to bed with heat and expected it to be fully dry this morning ive been heating and drying it all morning and still not purged maybe i should "whip" it whatever that is hah ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447002092.705820.jpg see its still looking really wet but when i hold it up under the light its all golden color.?

13. I'm pretty sure "whipping" it just means to turn it and mix it up while the heat is on

14. The guys I know that whip usually don't have a purge system. So whipping it helps it purge. Turns it into a butter from what I've seen though. Only down side I have heard about it is the shelf life isn't as long. Tastes good and does the job though. I'm sure YouTube has videos for ya.

15. I'm going to try and make some soon with my trimmings so I'll post my stuff when I do so

16. the only times Iso will present a problem if if u are impatient or get poor quality.

17. Hi, I have done an ISO wash with some trimmings and was going to boil it off, much like in the original post.
    I was hoping to make the final oil runnier by diluting with another oil so that I can pour it into a dropper bottle for oral medical use, rather than smoking.
    Have any of you tried doing this? If so what oil did you use? Am I better doing this with ethanol? What would be best to dilute the molassas-like material for long term storage in a dropper bottle?
    Thanks for your help.

18. Coconut oil. I use it for everything.

19. Okay, thanks for that. Are you using an unrefined oil or a refined coconut oil?
    I guess you would keep it in the freeze right?
    This would prevent the cannabinoids from precipitating out, as they would in a tincture solution and sticking to the wall of your jar or container over a period of months in solution.
    Cheers

20. love this method. end results are great!