ventilation question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by djjammer, Jul 13, 2011.

1. would my bottom neighbors when it smells if i exhaust my hot air duct to those Ac square vents that are in rooms like above the door , well when its starts smelling would my bottom neighbors smell it because i live in an apartment top floor ill have a carbon filter and everything but i was just wondering because i dont have anywhere else to vent thank you in advance :)

2. if ya have the right size carbon filter with right size fan set up right, you wont smell a thing!

3. -ok yea i have a 6 in inline and a 6 in filter so im guessing that would work under 5 ladies idk im still unsure because i also have a window but idk bout making a window box becuase when i put my exhaust ducting while its blowing towards the blinds it blows em all over the place so idk how i would go bout it any suggestion im on the second floor,just taking suggestions atm before i go do that thank you natureforce for replying

4. are you using 6'' inline duct fans?

5. Yeah those dont usually have enough CFM (cubic feet per minute) to effectively use a carbon filter. You want the CFM's on both the fan and the filter to be as close to the same as possible.

6. yeah 6inch inline some where round 440 cfms ,hmmmm well should i just vent to the window since it may smell, im using a 4x4x5 tent under a 1000hps i know not the most efficient setup but i took this at a real cheap price. I will soon downgrade to maybe a 600 hps , im not sure what do do about ventilation at this point ,well unsure if anyone has advice or suggestion im all ears.Im going to try run my vent like this Filter>Hood>duct>6in fan>ducting to window or AC vents? not sure, but all inline too try and get the most efficiency out of the fan

7. I've always thought that this was the best setup Filter>Fan>hood>ducting>vent. This way you get best suction through the filter and best airflow through the hood. The farther away the filter is from the fan the CFM will drop significantly, and that's if there is no air leaks which will make your filter useless.

8. You want to suck the air through your filter, as well as your hood. Don't push the air through your hood. Filter>>ducting>>hood>>fan>> Rule is, pull not push, but some will argue this. If your on the second floor, whats on the other side of your ceiling? You can exhaust into another room with some ducting. It will be scrubbed, so doesn't really matter where you exhaust it to, as long as it's away from your tent.

9. I'm going to loomis on pulling air, the filter and hood and fan will be relatively close to each other so my assumptions are I wont loose to many CFM's. There's really nothing on the other side of the ceiling but the stairs people go up but no ones on my side. If i dont choose on something maybe i will just cut a hole or square inside one of the closets my tent is maybe on the upp inside part, so as when you look in you'd have too look up and back behind you to see anything im really deciding on these in the next day since they are ready to flower........the problem i would have loomis to duct it to another room is theres only two rooms and id have to run a long duct and have my door open from the room...? thanks for everyones suggestions ,its really shinning a light on my dilema helping go with the best choice and helping me cross some off :D

10. Is your hood airtight if so it wont matter if you're pulling or pushing the air through. It will however matter if you are trying to pull air through the hood. The fan will suck air from the easiest place possible and if there is a small place for it to suck air from on the hood its not going to be scrubbed air, and therefore smell.

11. no it is not air tight, hmmmm you do have a point there, i do see how the fan would suck from the easiest point...so if im really worried bout smell well I am most certainly worried i should push it through if i vent to the ac outlet, but if i cut a hole maybe it wont be noticeable since its going up into the wall...im really trying not to cut holes but if i have to i will and repair it, but if I push the air through my hood through the filter idk how good it will keep my tent cooled???...I should pull the air through if i decide to vent to my A/c outlet, I came down to these two options any suggestions....thanks again maybe i will decide tonight and get to work tomorrow

12. but if I push the air through my hood through the filter I dont really understand this part, but you should never push through a carbon filter. Just beacuse your hood isnt airtight doesnt mean you cant make it airtight with a little plexiglass and some caulk.

13. i ment filter>fan>hood>duct idk maybe i should buy the reflectors lens cover but what should i do if do that setup i should cut a hole or should i run it through ac ports..?or say fuck it and cut a hole?..

14. Search thread title ventilation faq. Covers everything you could possibly need to know about ventilation. And if its not the op or others could def answer all ur questions.

15. So you're hood only has one flange for ducting or a fan, and one side has a vent with slots not a open hole? Its up to you on cutting the hole or not if you do cut a hole you will need to get a cooling flange to attach ducting to it.

16. Hydrofarm - Hydrofarm DAUN Daystar Reflector
    this is my reflector, I basically Am rounding it down to getting the lens,then running my ventilation like you said originally loomis and wont have to cut a hole in the wall. Since i don't think the bottom neighbors will smell it.because if i get the lens the heat wont be able to enter the tent in the first place...because im worried bout the heat and smell only thing right now left to take care of.

17. btw my reflector has three holes one topthe others on two sides

18. I will take a couple pics after work of my setup. I live on the second floor of an apartment just like you. I have my 4'x4'x6' tent in my bedroom closet. I run a 600w light with a 6'' inline fan. I cut a hole in the ceiling for my exhaust and then I cut a hole in the wall for my intake fan. My tent stays between 75 to 78 degrees and there is no smell. I will take some pics today and get them up here, so you get a better idea.

19. heres how my aircooled reflector is setup. dunno if it'll help cos i was very lucky having a vent straight to outside i could use.. i live right in the midst of some apartments, am on the second floor and just pump the filtered air right out into the environment
    hope ya get it fathomed out

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. That is a very clean looking setup you have Nature. That is how a tent should be setup. Where did you get that tent at? That would make a perfect veg tent for me:)