Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

This lump in my neck (lymph node) is getting worse after I smoke

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by fadeddd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I'll be doing that next probably, depending on what my blood test results show on Monday. Hopefully I'm not back saying I got fucking lymphoma or something.

And to the dude above me, I've thought about edibles too, but I am a big guy (6'0, 230) with a big tolerance. I never have much luck with edibles. I guess if I ate enough of them though, it might at least narrow down whether it's THC that's fucking with my throat, smoking, or the bong. Thanks for the tip.

2. I think you're overthinking it. A lot. Don't psyche yourself out unless the doctor gives you a reason to. Actually, don't do it at all.

I had mono two years ago and now I have two nodes that are permanently swollen. This can happen with other things too and it's totally benign. It's only cause for concern if you're having trouble breathing (aside from a panic attack from all of the stress you're causing yourself), it becomes hard as a rock and you can't move it, or if it keeps growing. Anyway, your nodes can swell if there is any foreign body, or irritation present- I've had swollen nodes from a simple allergy induced sneeze fest.

3. Do you happen to get any strange sensations in your swollen lymphs after smoking? Or does the smoke/irritation make it any worse/more swollen for you? I haven't had any trouble breathing, the worst it got was just a lot of discomfort when trying to sleep (turning my head to the left or right adds pressure to it)

4. An untreated salivary gland stone could rapidly cause a full fledged lymph node involvement. Also, many conditions which have salivary gland stones as a symptom (like Sjogren's Syndrome) also cause swollen lymph nodes.
    I hope you get a correct dx soon. Is the chart any help:confused:-here is one of the lymph nodes in the neck and head

[​IMG]

5. Yes, it's the submandibular area on the left side where I have the primary lump and the swelling is spreading out from, I've been getting some weird sensations all along the cervical area too. I even had some weird tingly sensations in the back of my head, maybe from those lymph nodes back there..

6. I haven't really investigated actually haha. I do know that cigarettes will do it for me, so it's safe to say that since when you're inhaling pot smoke it also irritated the lining of your throat it can also cause temporary inflammation. Any kind of irritation could do it. As long as it's temporary I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can try taking an anti-inflammatory before bed, or maybe drinking some ginger tea/chewing ginger root to help. Just keep talking with your doctor and make sure that you tell them everything you're worried about.

7. Oh and you mentioned tingly sensations on the back of your head? Those can come from anxiety. I had a panic disorder for a reallllly long time and got those kinds of sensations all the time. Some of the strange feelings you're having could easily be a product of your imagination after psyching yourself out over your swollen nodes/possible salivary stone. Even if it's not a panic attack you can still have some of the symptoms. Just something to keep in mind.

8. If you don't mind my asking what antibiotic do these clowns (I mean your doctors) have you on?:confused:

If the swelling and pain are getting worse despite antibiotic usage, you may wish to consider seeking emergency medical attention. Or, at the very least, contact your primary care physician first thing Monday to let him or her know that you are not seeing improvement.

9. This x1000.

10. It was called the z-pack or some shit, 2 the first day and one a day for 5 days after... tonight is my last one and the swelling isn't gone yet but it has gone down, so maybe I had a secondary infection.. I dunno.

11. Don't stress out over it- I often feel my glands and nodes getting bigger when I smoke. I actually feel uncomfortable sometimes if I smoke too much, including tobacco. Stop smoking for a couple days and then start smoking again and see what happens.

12. Actually, that can happen. I'm pretty sure antibiotics can cause candidiasis (yeast infection) in the gut or mouth because they kill off all of the bacteria as opposed to just the bad bacteria. Maybe this is why your nodes are still swollen? Typically if the node is swollen for a reason, it's because you're immune system is fighting off something.

13. Zithromax:) That's a good first line choice, actually. Still you really need to call him/her Monday if you are not seeing substantive improvement.

Azithromycin - PubMed Health

Azithromycin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. I hope to go on probiotics starting tomorrow, since I finish the antibiotic dose tonight. I've thought about this too, my mother is very prone to yeast infections (TMI, I know... she loves to talk about her medical problems though...) and taking antibiotics always makes her sick and gives her yeast infections throughout her whole body. Maybe I'm getting to be the same way.

15. okay i have had swollen lymph nodes around my neck and groin areas, which can be more common than I thought. I went to doctors for 6 months and no one would really do much and antibiotics did not work, ruling out an infection. They stated that a number of things could cause this, the worst obviously being something related to cancer. Raw Organic apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons before your 3 meals) is known to be a cure for this issue (as well as others). Bragg makes some of the best and most accessible...visible in Whole Foods for a few bucks. It definitely helped my neck swelling (which was all very small, but noticeable when feeling).

But considering the antibiotics are helping you, you should be better to just stop smoking until it leaves completely (it can't take THAT long). A few nights without bud is worth your health. Especially considering, no kind of smoking is really good for you so you're probably hurting the lump even more.

16. By the way, zithromax (z-pack) is a powerful ass antibiotic that knocks out most bacterial infections that causes severe colds. It also continues working 5 days after you finish it up. If you just let it kill off the swollen node you should be fine.

17. Thanks much for the advice, did you get any strange tingling/sensations from your swollen lymph nodes?

I've already been smoking for the first 4 days of the 5 day doses.. that couldn't have screwed up the anti-biotics or anything, right? I hear what you're saying about not smoking, that's why I've cut back to a single bong hit at night just to help me sleep.

I just took my last anti-biotic with dinner... should I avoid smoking tonight and for the next few days and see if it helps? Probably going to have to go buy some nyquil or some shit if so..

18. Yeah man, unless you can use a vape or make edibles (something easy like firecrackers), I'd just stop for like 4-5 days just so you don't fuck up the antibiotics with all the free radicals and shit (I'm no doctor, just my hypothesis really).

19. and also, i didn't get any weird tingling or anything like that. but then again, mine aren't because of an infection, like yours seem to be (hence the antibiotics).

20. I can't really be of much help as I'm no doctor.

I'm going through something similar, however my lymph node is not painful.

Unfortunately, both my Grandmother and her Father had Lymphoma.

I have had a swollen lymph node (not huge, but abnormal in size) for a month and a half now and I'll be going in for a biopsy sometime soon. A biopsy is more urgent for myself due to my family medical history. It probably isn't lymphoma, but you never know. I've definitely stressed about it, so I understand a bit of what you're going through.

There are people who actually give lymph node massages. I'll be getting one just to see if that does anything before I get a biopsy.

Best of luck!
    My swollen lymph node is on my neck rather than my neck. Getting this massage will be interesting. Contemplated some weird hairstyle.