Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Marijuana and Pristiq

• Please log in to reply

jsplasha

jsplasha

• Registered Upgraded
  • 386 posts
Has anyone had any experience mixing marijuana with antidepressants?

I've been on Pristiq (for my stomach, not for anxiety or depression) for about two months now and I'm wondering if occasional marijuana use will have a negative interaction with the medication.

I found another couple threads like this with varying responses, and I've noticed that many people have varying experiences mixing marijuana with different kinds of antidepressants. I can't find any information for Pristiq specifically though. Although I've heard ssri's are generally safer to smoke with.
Anyone else taking Pristiq and smoking? Or any other antidepressants really, I'd appreciate any advice.

Edited by jsplasha, 07 July 2011 - 11:28 PM.

cball

cball

I divide by zero...

• Gold Member
  • 11,130 posts

Dark Blue Dank

Dark Blue Dank

.IndicAVibe.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 616 posts
Don't smoke weed. Take the governments happy pills instead...... Let the pig grow fatter

Sandcat

Sandcat

• Registered Upgraded
  • 483 posts
I just want to second what cball said. I have yet to hear of ANY contraindicated medications, whether they be prescription or over the counter.
I take amitriptyline (sp?), the generic version of Elavil, for sleep and pain. I have not had a single problem. To underscore the fat, I take THIRTEEN prescription meds, plus several nutritional supplements several times a day, and have no issues at all. Good luck!
Be well and be blessed.

tharedhead

tharedhead

Southern Gothic

• Bronze Member
  • 8,881 posts

Edited by tharedhead, 08 July 2011 - 05:31 PM.

Keep it rolling

Keep it rolling

Registered Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,038 posts
Don't take antidepressants. My cousin killed himself because of them he was 17 years old, he was also a smoker.

ChillumLuv

ChillumLuv

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm sorry about your cousin, but you can't stario type a medication because of one incident. My bet friend tried to kill herself, and the medication has helped her alot.

jsplasha

jsplasha

• Registered Upgraded
  • 386 posts

For some obscure reason I feel compelled to post bits of the enormous boxed warning on this drug

Desvenlafaxine - PubMed Health

If you are taking this for stomach pain you may wish to speak to your physicain about older meds, which are quite effective, and have a much lower side effect profile. Librax is an oldie but goodie. A lot of docs are going back to the these drugs because of their proven track records, low cost and reduced risk of adverse effects.

Pristiq has less side effects than nearly any other antidepressant on the market right now, at least thats what I've been told. I haven't experienced any so far. Also, most of those side effects come into play at the start of taking the medication, everything dies down when the medication takes full effect after 4-6 weeks. But I appreciate the heads up, they are somewhat scarier meds I'll admit.

Either way, the main reason I'm on pristiq is because of money, being a newer drug, my physician can easily give me a 2 year supply for free, where the older medications could cost thousands.

Don't take antidepressants. My cousin killed himself because of them he was 17 years old, he was also a smoker.

I'm sorry about your cousin, but you can't stario type a medication because of one incident. My bet friend tried to kill herself, and the medication has helped her alot.

Sorry about your cousin, thats really too bad. I'm not now nor have I ever been depressed or suicidal in the slightest. I have heard warnings that if one is suicidial they should be monitered very closesly for the first month or so when taking the medication, but have never heard of someone who is not depressed or suicidal at all becoming so while on an antidepressant.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, I have no reason to go off the medication for the next year or so. It has helped my stomach more than any other medication, before taking it I was struggling to leave the house even a few times a week from the pain, now its still there, but in the back of my mind, only becoming severe for small periods in the day.

Although I haven't noticed a huge mood change, except I'm a lot more calm nowadays. I think antidepressants get a bad rap, and the people that dislike them the most have never taken them, or been in a situation where they needed them.
I'd recommend them to anyone.

Especially if I can smoke while on them.

Edited by jsplasha, 08 July 2011 - 05:30 PM.

KuSH 707

KuSH 707

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,080 posts
the only medication i ever found that was ever prescribed that i found interfered with was oxycotin. If i took the pain meds then smoked it would be t minus 30 mins untill i was out cold sleeping haha

redheadrachel

redheadrachel

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I use both Pristiq and MJ. Works great for me!

Lacrossefire9

Lacrossefire9

Toker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 426 posts
i have taken almost every ssri out there and none of them have had any effects on the way i feel while high, the only thing was that the pristiq (my most recent one) made me have the munchies sober so high munchies were crazy if i didnt watch my self. im currently off of them for a few courses of antibiotic that dont work well together and so far my high is the same as it always has been, maybe a little less high but then again im building up a huge tolerance smoking everyday for medicine.

tharedhead

tharedhead

Southern Gothic

• Bronze Member
  • 8,881 posts

jsplasha

jsplasha

• Registered Upgraded
  • 386 posts
I havent told my physician I'm on them yet. I meant to lasttime but he's really against natural or alternative medicines. I don't want him to get angry and pull back those free samples lol. Plus didn't feel like a lecture.

In a month though I'll be going out to school so I'll be under campus doctors anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users