Spider mites? or soil mites?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OhioStateBuckeyes, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Where do u live ??? I dont want to be there lol ;).

Good stuff with your decision. U will enjoy it.

Much easier, slower, smaller plants, decent potency
    and U HAVE TOTAL CONTROL. Its all good.

I like your growin attitude bro + rep.

Freak
    :smoke:

2. #42 Rippedmofuck, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    Thank you :cool:;)

Canada in eastern provinces. Great weather.

I try to cover my bases best i can. The only big factor is a ph meter which has already been ordered. In the meantime i'll use my pool ph testing gear. Distilled water, the works.

Also I wanted to mention is that what you cant really see, was actually the hardest part.

Hell. nah that won't work, i'll give a pic.

I used corner bracing wood, (90 angle) on the corner and with such thin wood, it was a bitch getting the screws right, but i drilled on.

[​IMG]
    Ugh look at this close up makes me wish i didnt take a picture. The back is a death trap but its facing the wall so idc. Also the whole thing is sitting on top of a a/c vent ;)

[​IMG]

I Don't want to hijack the thread so if its disruptive or if yall mind let me know. Otherwise ill update here. Of course centering on possible soil varmints in my future. :D
    Don't have a grow journal set up cause i did it all in one day :p

3. Are u a Newfie man ???

Freak

4. Nope, your about 1000k off . ;)

5. LOL.

Sorry, I figured a Potato farmer would be good weed grower haha :).

So, youre an Ontarian EH ???

Love canadians. Terrence and Philip would be prouda u !!!
    (No farts please).

Man, Im not tryin to zoom in on your location, its just that I miss
    Canada.

They are the best hosts I have ever encountered while I had my
    stay up in Vancouver.

Freak

6. #46 Rippedmofuck, Jul 22, 2011
    No problem bro, haha EHHH yah i just got reined Cola, hes bear igloo den. Tossed him some beaver i trapped :smoke:

We took OVER the last episode of south park, haha farting and shitting all over the damn place.

Nah bro nothing personal. It's just something i was told long ago, that i just automatically put into practice.
    Never can be too safe.

Come to canada sometime and smoke some bud and we'll get a 24. :cool:

7. #47 OhioStateBuckeyes, Jul 22, 2011
    and here come the winnipeg drummers performing the march of 1000 farts, as in tradition

so the botaniguard stuff is pretty good. they are not 100% eradicated from it, but im sure in a week with a every day soil spray rotation of Foxfarm Dont Bug Me, azamax, and this botaniguard i really think they will be gone. if not this is the hardiest species of insect i have ever seen.

im sorry, but i am NOT putting ladybugs in my indoor garden. i cant. the house was built in 1915 and literally still has asbestos in the walls. the breakers are all 15 amps and the wiring is still the oldshool 2 wire. after running a 220 line, im still very limited on power space between my area. the central air is completley inefficent because the venting in this house also blows. so i have 17,000 btu's worth of window units cooling the place. this has to do with ladybugs because i have the door to the veg room open almost 24/7. i need to have it open to cool it down, have some fresh air, no electrical room for ac or even intake and outake fans for that matter, and a few other logical reasons. if i put ladybugs in there holy shit they would be everywhere lol in my laundry on my pillow. so i cant have that.

if anybody orders this met52 let me know how it works. im thinking about buying it because having 2 different types of these pirate fungi working for me sounds like ide have the immiediate solution to killing anything. having everything right in front of you to play god makes it so much easier :D

8. so....sad to say....after vigorous organic pesticide applications (pyrethrum foggers, azamax neem, botaniguard's Beauveria bassiana, gnatrol's bacillus thuringiensis, goGnats, FoxFarm Dont Bug Me, ajax dish soap which prolly isnt organic, and 100% Garlic oil; all applied apart from eachother but very close together at multiple applications) i still have these god damn mother fucking son of a bitch cocksucker assholes of root aphids. HOW the hell arent they dead? should i even order this met52 to try to combat them?

i have heard rumors that they are like cockroaches, and only come out during dark. i have sprayed, fogged, everything at both times, and there are still alive. it has been weeks since i first applied. I HAVE SEEN A HUGE REDUCTION IN THEIR NUMBERS. but they are STILL ALIVE.

maybe i need nematodes? i cant see them killing the rest off, with my success rates so far. i also can see a potential problem with my pesticides (organic or not) killing the nematodes.

i really, really, really, really, really would NOT like to use avid (a nerve poison) on my stuff. really. its not even in week 2 of flowering, but still. anybody disagreeing, it is more commonly used than you think sadly to say. im still against it. anywho, i cant seem to shake these fuckers. does anybody have an organic solution that will actually work? people have added sand to cut their bodies when they crawl, sierra natural sience (another natural pesticide).

does this met52 actually work? i want real results!! this asshole told me at one of my local hydroponics store that hydroganics' GoGnats killed off his root aphid problem - needless to say i havnt returned to that store to buy products because of his terribly wrong information. it really pissed me off when he talked to me like i was a retard when i said the cedar oil lowered my coco pH too much...he insisted it would work and the bugs would die....WRONG. it contorted my leaves, made my room smell faintly of hamsters, and left a huge infestation in my soil (this was a month or so ago). thankfully i have disregarded his advice and went with other products that work for my problem. but i have still had little results.

i have a new theory on how i may have acquired these rare pests. my parents purchased grapes from a local amish country this spring. they were already started in soil. maybe they have possibly came from their grapes?

i strongly encourage everybody to check their soil with a magnifying glass and sit over 1 tiny spot for literally 10 minutes. i want to know if these things are more common than people think. they are fuckin RUTHLESS man. im about to throw in the towel and use avid if i cant find anymore advice. even reading people's suggestions on icmag.com's forums dont have solutions.

anyone know how to kill these cock-a-roachesss? (say cockroaches like tony montana)

9. hey OSU so how it turn out did u get rid of them after all? Seems u have tried everything under the sun except a few products.I found out i had these three days ago so bummed these root aphids are in all my plants

10. not to sound rude or anything, but i'm pretty sure that's tinfoil, not mylar (aluminized polyester or BoPET) and that will create hot spots from the reflection and can/will burn your plants. you can use space blankets found at almost any store... like wal-mart and you should only need 1 for that box. sorry I just had to say that cuz nobody else seemed to notice

11. I heard something about getting a praying mantis for insects of all sorts. But I'm not sure what would help.. Just a idea

12. I have the same exact bugs, and same sentiments regarding them. in fact your descriptions of battling them unsuccessfully sounds exactly like mine. I'm also growing in nutrifield coco. Thinking about switching to dirt next round because these bugs are the fuckin worst.

I'm going to try the nematodes, i believe they eat the root aphid eggs, and maybe some other few products that won't kill the toads.. we'll see I really don't want to spend too much on this.

I've had these bugs before, and alls I can say, nobody knew how to help me kill them. all the hydro store people were stumped. I used all the products. sns, azamax, and on and on.

it's even more of a nuisance with a perpetual grow like mine.

13. Friggin spammer at it again lol.

Freak

14. Hi guys, I actually have a similar problem -

I grow in a standard small tent, it's in my bedroom but the room is vacuumed almost EVERY morning and my dog sleeps in the living room - He's not even allowed in the bedroom at ANY time. I've done my best to keep the place pest free apart from using any specific products as I haven't seen any damage to the leaves or buds and I'm 3 weeks from harvest. Growing in Bio Bizz coco mix.

I removed a plant from the tent to put in my living room as decoration, it was a poor quality seed anyway and I was just messing around. After I removed the plant I left it on a shelf in my living room for "decoration" for a couple of weeks, but the plant didn't like the sudden change and started to droop really badly - I removed the plant from the medium and noticed 2-3 VERY fast little white moving insects. I tied up the whole thing in a big plastic bag and threw it out. I'm now left with the question "Did these things get onto the "crappy" plant AFTER I took it out of the tent or were they already there? and if they were, are they harming my main plant??"

To be honest my plant looks very healthy, no nute burn, no signs of any insects or signs of any harm to the leaves or buds. I'm 3 weeks from harvest, it's my first grow and I have to say myself I think I've done really well. But what's bugging me is the paranoia, could they be slowly destroying my plant or are they the beneficial kind of insect that lives in soil and just eats fungus? I've never seen ANYTHING on the leaves or under them, i check every 2 days when I feed the plant. I haven't seen these white bugs in the coco medium on this plant, but I have an inkling if I pulled the plant out of the medium maybe I would see them?

I'm keeping an eye on it obviously, i haven't used any pest repellents whatsoever since day 1 from seed as I haven't felt the need to. I have been tempted to use "Neem Repel"

I've never had spider mites (Luckily) and my plant continues to grow healthily, even tied it down to get more light to side branches ;-)

I'd just like to know if these white insects are beneficial or not, I don't even know for sure if they're in the soil on my main plant - I could be worrying about nothing! But obviously my reaction was "If there were white things in the soil of the plant I threw out, they COULD be in the soil of my Lowryder and I'm 3 weeks from chopping down!!"

I HOPE whatever it is, that it's nothing to worry about and IF it is a bad thing then I hope they only showed up because the crappy plant was in my living room for 2 weeks (maybe there's some bugs in the living room somewhere)

15. if your three weeks from chopping down, apply your neem product as a topsoil spray.

it may not kill them all, but it will hinder their numbers long enough for you to finish out your run.

now is the time to really start your preventative measures on your next batch of plants.

-OSUB

16. Ok, how much would you recommend I mix into a 500ml (0.5l) spray bottle? I have a layer of hydroton clay pebbles ontop of the soil, can I just spray it onto that? Also, I noticed some of the white hairs on the buds are appearing to curl at the end, like little Hooks, sideways, not upwards or downwards, is this normal? Thanks again for the advice it's really appreciated :)

17. Using the neem repel on the soil isnt gonna absorb into the roots is it? I dont want it to harm the plant

18. #58 Sativa4ever, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Peroxide is supposed to treat root Aphids. just use over the counter peroxide or commercial H2O2 you can get a quart for about $10. Dilute it, it is acidic wear gloves. Lower leaf yellowing can also be from oversaturating the soil trying to treat soil mite or root aphid infestation. Root aphids can be extremely difficult to eliminate in soil because they will nest under the root ball making it hard to eliminate with a flush. After peroxide flush treat with Botanigard 22wp. This is a living fungus that eats root aphids and larvae. I don't believe it has any effect on Soil mites, unfortunate. If you still suspect they are a mite you could try a garlic spray Homemade Organic Insect Sprays
    The use of peroxide kills beneficial myco's. If you are an all organic gardener it may be best to follow up with botanigard give it a week to colonize then reapply myco's i.e. great white, roots oregonism xl. When your perlite takes on a rust orange color myco's have established themselves, good colonization.

Go Gnats will do no use. It works on the surface of your soil. It acts as little razors that cut up gnats and other soft body insects when they try to nest in your soil or make their way to your plant. A cheaper alternative would be to periodically use Diatomaceous Earth. Found at healthfood stores (food grade) There is a company called St. Gabriel organics goes for $10 a bag. Azamax will only slow down root aphids they are resilent little bastards. :mad:

After applying botanigard you can unleash benficial nematodes but once again if it is a soil mite then this will have no affect. They will just eat the nematodes.

For any of those above ground bastards you can use isopropyl alcohol 70% at 1-2 cups per qt of water. Test spray a small area and give 2-3 days to see if your dilution rate needs to be higher. meaning less alcohol to water. peroxide can be sprayed in the same manner use 3% peroxide. test spray and see how your plant handles it. If your plant is in veg and is over run by pest it is sometimes best to spot clean with alcohol mix or neem with peppermint/mint oil extract and lemon juice added. The peppermint and citrus will drive away most pest as the neem(azamax) acts as a systemic antifeedant. Then take cuttings from treated branches and move them to a quarentined environment away from you main grow. Try again later:(

August the manufacturer of "liquid lady bug" (mite treatment) says that his product can be used in soil drenching applications. The active insecticde is Geraniol which is an extract from rose petals and lemon peels. The citrus and peppermint oil is more of a deterent. The acidity of the citrus may be acidic and play a role in killing but I am not entirely sure that is a shot in the dark.

THE END ALL (THE LAST RESORT):devious:KILLLLLLL!!!!
    most, if not all of you will cringe perhaps from the toxins alone or perhaps the threat of Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV). but Tobacco tea will kill root aphids. TMV may be a myth when it comes to cannabis, all I have found is that deadly nightshade is known for its susceptability to TMV and some other flowering varieties are affected. If anyone has a copy of the complete guide to hemp diseases ($120 hardcopy) please let me know what it says on that matter. .EDU sources on tmv state that TMV is spread from the combustion of tabacco infected with the virus. To make tea you don't heat the tobacco at all soooo does this keep the virus dormant? It kills. I have brought root aphid colonies down to next to nothing dunking net pots in tobacco tea. I wouldn't advise using this on flowering plants, unless early on in flower delivered to the root zone ONLY and followed up with a B vit flush to restore vigor to the root zone. SOIL MITES AND ROOT APHIDS FEED ON ORGANIC MATERIAL. If your medium has none then these pests have no choice but to feed off of your roots. The tea recipe is found on the link I provided earlier. Nicotine should shock their little nervous systems!

Don't bother with mosquitio dunks Bacillius thuringenis won't do shit.

Soil drenching can cause yellowing, your pests could be more innocuous than your pest treatment to your plant. I hope this has helped anyone out there.
    I'm off toooo:bongin:Good Luck!:wave:

19. And yes pyrethrins can be effective that x-clude 1600 or 1800 will kill but will cause major burn if it comes in contact with your plants it is best for tops of pots and perimeter control in the cracks of your tents. I have also gotten word that there has been a major problem with peat having these pests in the last year. So, even if you buy new dirt prepare to do battle. Some manufacturers have been changing where they get their dirt and amendments because this has become a problem. It might not be anything you have done. Root aphids appear to be the re occuring nuissance. Normally they are found on green peppers, and in peat. The manufacturer thing is hear say from a clerk at one of the largest growstores in michigan. peas

20. ive been adding neem cake to my soil mixes, composting guanos, and introducing the Beauveria bassiana fungus to my EWC bin long before i use it.

my soil is teeming with springtails & these big white soil mites, which move slower than a snail.

but aphids and the bad bugs? never had a problem since :smoke:

-OSUB