Spiritual Growth

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by TesseLated, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Imagine that you had gone all your life without ever washing, and then one day you decide to take a shower. You start scrubbing away, but then watch in horror as the dirt begins to ooze out of the pores of your skin and stream down your body. Something must be wrong: you were supposed to be getting cleaner and all you can see is grime. You panic and fling yourself out of the shower, convinced that you should never have begun. But you only end up even more dirty than before. You have no way of knowing that the wisest thing to do is to be patient, and to finish the shower. It may look for a while as if you are getting even dirtier, but if you keep on washing, you will emerge fresh and clean.  It's all a process, the process of purification.

Whenever doubt arises then, see it just as an obstacle, recognize it as an understanding that is calling out to be clarified or unblocked, and know that it is not a fundamental problem, but simply a stage in the process of purification and learning. Allow the process to continue and complete itself, and never lose your trust or resolve.  This is the way followed by all the great practitioners of the past, who used to say “there is no armour like perseverance”.  

~S. Rinpoche

2. #462 TesseLated, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Om! May my limbs, speech, vital air, eyes, ears, strength,
    And all the senses be fully developed.
    All that is revealed by the Upanishads is Brahman.
    May I never deny Brahman:
    May Brahman never disown me.
    Let there be no repudiation (from Brahman);
    Let there be no infidelity from my side.
    May all the Dharmas extolled by the Upanishads shine in me
    Who am intent on knowing the Self.
    May they shine in me!
    Om! Peace! Peace! Peace!

~Kena Upanishad and Chandogya Upanishad

^^^^
    Spiritual Growth-Self discovery ;)  I'm back to the first page of the thread.

To me it means you have to find your own path- whatever it maybe-not an uncommon thought by any means...but the thought has been realized for a long time.......sounds like 'Know thyself' too ....I think I've heard that somewhere........ :laughing: 

http://youtu.be/3E3Uv4M1pYw

Well, each beautiful thing I come across
    Tells me to stop moving
    And shake this riddle off, oh well
    And there was a time when all I wanted
    Was my ice cream colder
    And a little cream soda, oh well, oh well

\nAnd a wooden box and a alley full of rocks
    Was all I had to care about
    Oh well, oh well, oh well

Now my mind is filled with rubber tires
    And forest fires and whether I'm a liar
    And lots of other situations
    Where I don't know what to do
    At which time God screams to me
    "There's nothing left for me to tell you"

3. nothing left at all.....

4. :eek:  :smoke:

5. #466 Rootsphere_Farms, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4nOH-yPHRY

Start at 0:34 -- a Rap about dem certain spiritual healing unmentionable drugz

Yo, you would not believe, if I told you a single - thing that ive seen
    what life really is, is all you need
    It aint nothin new, it aint nothin green
    If you could just see, what life can be
    you could see it glow, see it gleam
    listen here, listen to me

Ill guide you along, the path of dreams
    This is a rap about a certain drug
    This is a rap about a certain thug
    this is a rap about you and me, listen in and take a peak
    Im gonna walk you through, how to take these things
    hopefuly you come out, a better being
    thats all I wish, is to see you smile
    With that lasting happiness for awhile
    When the suns shinin
    it lights me up, with a lotta love, and all that stuff
    Dont you wanna feel, the way I do
    so lit up, so in touch, can't get much better than the way it is
    Staring at the clouds, driftin away
    what do I see, what do I need
    it doesn't matter, it's there for a reasn

Take it all, for what it is
    Meet yourself, meet your friends
    Feel the power, feel the beauty
    Of what this world, really inspires
    I guarantee, you won't believe
    Go with it, ride the wave
    don't fight it, be brave
    You'll get through, even if it's hell
    Don't worry, you're in a shell
    of hardened armor, and diamond plates
    love, in the skies, in the air
    all around, approach with care
    somethin new, somethin scarce
    anything you wanna do
    it's up to you, just be the good soul, like they taught you to

These are my final words, aint nothin more
    my last bits of advice, goin' out the door
    come to me, anything you need
    i'll help you out, like a best friend, b.
    You know this life was meant for livin, 
    cherish the moments, that are given
    That's how we progress, and think things through
    Lifes what your make it, and how you do

Battle through the hard times
    Love through the great,
    its what made us the person we are to date
    don't listen to the haters, you're better than that
    You're bigger than life, you know thats a fact
    Nothing can crush you, down to your knees
    Your too strong willed, it's simple to see
    You will always stand strong, against the breeze
    Your love is shining bright, straight through the trees

Your soul is delicate, handle with care
    I said that to all, and all bared
    it can shatter with a touch, or shine with love
    I just hope, that it's all good
    the final decision, is up to you
    which path you take, your dreams will too

6.  Great insight-the entire song-esp. this

I so be move, I so be go-This song=great lyrics-reminds me of what you wrote a little-also great groove

http://youtu.be/4ZHU5XwEp5w

7. #468 TesseLated, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
    Not much into labels of beliefs-But to put a finger on what I've discovered on my journey is nice..I never realized something like that actually existed-It's only something I felt

In philosophy, panpsychism is the view that mind or soul (Greek: ÏˆÏ…χή) is a universal feature of all things, and the primordial feature from which all others are derived. The panpsychist sees him or herself as a mind in a world of minds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am thinking that these go together^^^^-But need more thought on it-

Transformation of Consciousness-Thoughts on the Eight Consciousnesses (Buddhist Thought)

*I have cleaned this up..so as not to have words that represent the concepts.

The first transformation is the variety of ideas of self and elements that prevails, it occurs in the transformation of consciousness. Such transformation is threefold.
    <blockquote>
    it is mentation, as well as the concept of the object. The consciousness with all its seeds, is the result.
    </blockquote>The alaya-vijnana therefore is not an eighth consciousness, but the resultant of the transformation of consciousness:
    <blockquote>
    Instead of being a completely distinct category, alaya-vijnana merely represents the normal flow of the stream of consciousness uninterrupted by the appearance of reflective self-awareness. It is no more than the unbroken stream of consciousness called the life-process by the Buddha. It is the cognitive process, containing both emotive and co-native aspects of human experience, but without the enlarged egoistic emotions and dogmatic graspings characteristic of the next two transformations.
    </blockquote>The second transformation is self-consciousness or "Self-view, self-confusion, self-esteem and self-love". It is the seventh consciousness. It is "thinking" about the various perceptions occurring in the stream of consciousness". It is defiled by self-interest.
    <blockquote>
    t can be purified by adopting a non-substantialist perspective and thereby allowing the  attachment to dissipate, leaving consciousness or the function of being intact.
    </blockquote>\n<blockquote>The third transformation relates to the conception of an object, but because it generates grasping after a "real object", that combines experience and reflection.
    </blockquote><sup>-From Wiki</sup>

8. #469 TesseLated, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
    It could be that they fit together-in becoming a universal mind-a transformation of the 8 consciousnesses into No-thing. 

For instance, ÅšÅ«nyatā (emptiness), unlike "nothingness", is considered to be a state of mind in some forms of Buddhism (see Nirvanamu, and Bodhi). Achieving 'nothing' as a state of mind in this tradition allows one to be totally focused on a thought or activity at a level of intensity that they would not be able to achieve if they were consciously thinking. A classic example of this is an archer attempting to erase the mind and clear the thoughts to better focus on the shot.

Right now I'm just keeping track of this where I can think about it. The conclusions or posts will just be my opinion, of course..but feel free to give any feedback-My guess is DD, Esseff, and Little Jacob may give some thoughts? on if any of my conclusions makes any sense.

*Good thoughts here-applies to what is above^^

[SIZE=10.5pt]"Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]"As you say, lord," the monks responded.
    The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. [1] Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." 
    [/SIZE]

9. I'll marinate more on that ^^ later Tesse :)

I just wanted to stop by and drop this jewel for you guys. One of the best, deepest hip hop songs I've ever heard, thought you guys would enjoy it. Goes along with the theme of "spiritual growth" (More specifically spiritual/egoic/ignorance death and rebirth/enlightenment) perfectly. :smoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvUHeYf6WQ

10. #471 LittleJacob, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    So incredible. BEAUTIFUL song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpg-yNJF2ds

11. So, the OP told me to come here before actually reading the OP. As much as I fucking love Eyedea, what does he have to do with spiritual growth?

12. #473 LittleJacob, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    Did you actually listen to the songs and read/listen to the lyrics? Or read my post?

The song "The Dive" is very specifically about spiritual growth and the spiritual journey. "Here for you" I consider a very spiritual song as well. It deals with the reality of life and finding peace and happiness with going along with the river of life and the Tao, the Way of reality instead of fighting it and being disappointed by life not matching up with your expectations and desires.

Very much related to spiritual growth if you ask me.

13. LJ loves the way hip-hop communicates.. ya dig... 

14. I can dig it.  I guess I just see spirituality as a more personal thing.

@LJ, I read your last post as instructed by the OP and listened to those songs way before you thought about posting them here lol.

15.  Music is personal -the most personal-It's amazing to connect that 'out of range' feeling with meaningful lyrics and sound-Stay Lifted

*like your sig ;)

Thanks for putting those up LJ-I'll listen in the morning-I'm stuck on Neil Young right now as we speak... Damn-I loved his voice/playing when he was younger-and those lyrics tear me up..haha

you have got to be the coolest teacher in the world

17. Damn. Who are you guys? Where have you been?

18. #479 TesseLated, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014

Damn-I'm completely blown away-Thanks so much for posting that. It was like he had been living in my brain-haha-Seriously though-at the beginning of the thread and esp. all the later pages up to July 4th or thereabouts-was when I was going crazy with connections-a little too fast-but yes. When I was posting those videos-It was just a sense that other people had FOUND-what it was about. And this song expresses that. 
    I have to get those lyrics

Now for something completely different-Yet strangely related

http://youtu.be/i_lryQvImwk

19. Hey thanks-Definitely not the traditional educator-that's for sure-Technically high level of Reading instruction-but with a great license to be creative and bring that out in the kids-Make them artists of their own lives-master their dyslexia/LD/ADHD-what ever it happens to be-More often that it's a combination of all those.

I guess they benefit from my 'worldy' perspective-largely helped along with experiences w/ smoke and other items which shall remain unidentified  :smoking: