Martial Arts Jiu Jitsu Appreciation Thread =)

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by LowEyesBigSmile, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I love Bjj because there is so many different aspects of your game to work on. I always love when new people come in because I'm a big guy, 6'3" 210. They get ready to roll and I pull guard. Big guy guard is pretty unstoppable once you get good at three or four sweeps.

2. #42 LowEyesBigSmile, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

I would agree that a bigger guy who really works on his guard yes can be very effective. Like you said having some tricky sweeps definetly helps out a great deal. But its important no matter how big or strong and individual is but to constantly work on technique..And at the end of the day to get better you just have to have alot of hands on training..I have got on the mat with plenty of people who can tie me in a complete knot..but any tip or go to move I see them use I soak it up like a fucking spounge every single time...no guard is unstoppable I assure you..ya digg

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzC09qLkoSY&feature=BFa&list=WLDB90D15F55E541E1&index=3]‪Best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Highlight‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I don't regret making this thread one bit..I still come back here sometimes and just watch these videos to stay motivated :wave:

4. #44 gwardmonger316, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I'm glad to see this thread exists. Seems like there aren't a lot of serious contributing responses, and some bjj haters, but it's all good! Maybe if some haters on here hung out with eddie bravo they'd enjoy the sport little more haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=ZjCRIWaoU98

Probably already seen it, but if you haven't, you're welcome, it's an instant classic!

5. I have in fact seen that bro but your right an instant classic! Definetly the thread started off kinda rough and didn't really get alot of attention but I still love this thread! I train my ass off every single day and watching videos like these bring a smile to my face.

Side note: without question eddie bravo is one of my idols...classy guy and lives an amazing lifestyle

6. Knowledge is power :smoke: you guys dig
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVITwO4-L6I&feature=BFp&list=FLasQg1scsl2A&index=2]‪Jiu Jitsu: White to Black- A Shift In Perspective‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

7. Wish I could train everyday. Have an eight week old baby, so haven't been going as often lately. Last night my gf said something like, "oh, I'm off next thursday, so you can go to jiu jitsu again! Yay!" I smile, but in my head I'm like, bitch I haven't been to the gym in three fuckin' weeks. Fuck going one night every three weeks, seriously, fuck you.

Eddie bravo is cool, deserves more respect than he gets. Not a big fan of the lockdown stuff, but he's still pretty cool.

Happy rolling, guys.

8. Alliance BJJ purple belt here, just wanted to stop by and say....

eddie bravo is a faggggggg

9. #49 LowEyesBigSmile, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011

This made me lol pretty hard bro...good luck with your new baby though man hope all is well

Haters will hate :rolleyes:...I acknowledge your accomplishment as an allliance purple belt thats great bro...but reguardless of your feelings for eddie bravo I'm pretty sure the dude could tie me and you both in a knot...Just becuase your from another academy (a good one at that) doesn't mean you have to knock other practioners (makes you look lame and in my opinion knocks your credibility)..I assure you that the "alliance" way isn't the only one my bro

• Like Like x 1

10. thanks for the backhanded complement.....i am entitled to my opinion just like u.....

and yes i will hate !!

osssss

11. :p that you are bro..but I'm just callin it how I see it...I can undertsand not likeing someone or having a view point that you like other practioners better or something of that nature...

but calling them "fags" :rolleyes:...that just shows how much class you have..just saying :wave:

Troll will not pass

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've taken a few demonstrational Ju-Jitsu classes. I thought it was pretty fun. I have a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, so I can appreciate any martial arts really. I've tried many of them I just haven't really gone through with any besides Tae Kwon Do.

13. for what its worth, im saying this because i met him at a seminar and he was a major d bag to me

14. I havent been in the gym in like 2 months. been brutally busy and just havent had the energy.

stopped in for an open mat last week as a reminder that I cant slack off. What a reminder it was lol.

15. i cant imagine what 2 months would fee like bro....im just coming back after 2 weeks off due to a injury and it felt like i was out the whole damn year bro

but props for keeping your priorities in check.

16. Went to the gym last night, for the first time in three weeks. Felt like I still had my gatekeeper white belt chops, but my cardio is gone. It was, obviously, a lot of fun. My shoulder sublexed again, though (I have a torn labrum), so I'm feeling really bummed. The surgery is like $14k(can't afford, ever), but I've been training with it for at least six months. Really afraid of being the guy who disappears and never comes back. Tips?

17. i have no medical experience to comment on that but......im guessing you don't have insurance? which sucks bro

some injurys can be "career ending" if you don't have insurance.

i wouldn't train again until you build some stability in it and let it heal as much as it can, it might even be a few months. but i would try to get that surgery

18. #60 LowEyesBigSmile, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

Bro I know the feeling..though I'll say as of late I been staying on my game pretty well..but everytime rugby season comes around I have to make that choice..I play for the college I attend and I end up missing alot of mat time usually during season just because we always have practice and at the end I'm exhausted..Thats good though you stopped by man and got to role some..Its a great feeling :hello:

This for sure^^..injuries suck no matter what but when you don't have any medical insurance that can make things super hard..I know alot of fighters that don't have any medical insurance but then again I've never not had it either so I can't really comment much either..Definetly let is rest and heal before before getting back to any serious training (permanent injury straight up not worth it)..

And bro that totally sucks to hear that you met him at a seminar and he was a dick :(..kinda makes me think wtf ya know..but granted I can definetly understand feeling like that if you met him and he was disrepectful or somethin..I really look up to the guy not just because of the whole him smokeing and being a little wild but more for technique purposes..The dude does have the rubber guard on lock and has shown it to be pretty effective..It works really well for me and ever since I started learning the system back in the day I have always had alot more success..Of course there is no "one guard" that is unpassable or unstackable but I just feel like it helped me raise my percentages.