Getting a inner forearm tattoo, stupid?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by lk250f, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I can't wait to be old and saggy

2. If you are looking to go into a professional work environment, it would benefit you to make sure normal clothing covers the tattoos. It's sad how employers discriminate against people with visible ink.

3. Much respect, are you/were in the armed forces? My best friend is at marine bootcamp now, sucks not having him around but he will be back in the fall for a little. so stoked.

Very good point, if they're one to judge just on a small physical aspect of you then they most likely will again for something else even if you are their best worker.

4. i was a few days away from signing my contract with the army, but some family shit came up, so i have other priorities i need to take care of before i feel comfortable leaving for basic training. really wish i could have went (had i signed my contract i would have left the first week of june) but families more important right now.

5. Getting a teardrop below your eye or something violent/offensive might be considered "gantster" but in general nowadays a regular tattoo is far from that. I live in a sorta rural area of KY and still everybody I know a shit ton of people with tattoos now. Young people now are just more down with them, and that's gonna go a long ways in years to come

6. I have two, one on each inner forearm. Start about 3 inches from my elbow and end about 1.5-2 inches from my wrist. I just wear a long sleeve shirt if I want to cover up. You should have no problem with any jobs really as long as nothing is visible in a long sleeved shirt and pants. Only problems I've heard of are face, neck and hand tattoos.

7. I admit that having forearm tats has made finding a job difficult. Of course I cover them when I go on interviews but they always ask about tats especially if the job requires you to wear a uniform. Right now it's ridiculously hard to find work so I'm at the point of taking anything I can and my damn tats have gotten in the way a few times. I don't regret getting them, I just wish I could find work.

8. #29 4Sheezy, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    What jobs are you applying for where the uniforms don't have a long sleeve option?

9. Medical offices (I have a degree in med admin), Disney, pet stores.....

10. Did they outright tell you you weren't getting the jobs because of your tattoos?

11. I always liked this one

[​IMG]

12. Yes they have. Some clinic staff have to wear scrubs where my arms would be visible and you're representing the doctor. Most doctors are pretty anal about appearance.

I also apply at amusement parks bc I was in mgmt in the rides dept for several years. I applied at a sister park of where I worked for 7 yrs and they couldn't re-hire me bc they changed their grooming guidelines to no tats at all, before they allowed you to wear a long sleeve under your polo or a jacket.

13. #34 Echoes of Floyd, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
    My first tattoo was inner forearms, definitely get it there if that's what you want

[​IMG]

Great idea for your first tattoo by the way. I can tell it has some meaning to you, and it's something you would love to have.

Don't listen to anybody else when it comes to your tattoo decision.

Sooooo many people told me: "not to get my tattoo's there!!, alot of people will see it, alot of job interviews will notice it and you will never get hired there..."

WHO FUCKING CARES!?! I got these shamrock so people CAN SEE IT! I'm not gonna pay all this money and let them be covered up in darkness for life. I'm 100% Irish, I love who I am, I love my tattoos. Why should I care what others think?

If a job is not going to hire me because I have SHAMROCKS, or they wouldn't hire you because they saw a SUN. Then fuck them. You wouldn't want to work with those assholes anyways. It's a miserable job. I would understand a job not accepting someone that has like: skulls/crossbones/knives/profanity/nudity/gang&jail tatts. But a 'shamrock' or a 'sun'. Fuck them.

Be proud of your tattoos and where you get them. I couldn't have picked a better spot for mine. And love seeing them 24/7.

Congrats on your future tattoo my friend :smoke:

14. Mid interview, question about tattoos come up, they ask where yours are located and ask you to leave? I'm not ripping on you or anything, I just honestly can't believe it and am trying to get a full understanding of the situation, sorry for all the questions.

15. No, when they ask about visible tattoos and I tell them where my tattoos are, they will say that they can't hire someone who has tattoos and they apologize. It happens dude but it's not like they're rude about it. It usually happens towards the end of the interview bc they go over grooming and little things. It's not every job interview I go on, it's been lots though. For example, when I went to the amusement park near me to apply. I was called in and I had a shirt on that was mid-sleeve. The manager asked about my resume and I was asked normal questions. The manager then asked what position I'm applying for, I told him rides dept and he said they changed their grooming guidelines and visible tattoos are no longer allowed. He then gave me a list of positions I could work where I wouldn't have any guest interaction...the positions were maintenance and warehouse which I can't do. So that's how the interviews usually go. I worked in a OB/GYN office before and we had to wear polos, and no jacket, I didn't have tats then so it wasn't an issue. The doctor I worked for wouldn't hire someone with visible tats, piercings or who didn't have a natural appearance.

16. Completely different then around here, and we are a community of no more than 36,000. Just unbelievable.

17. The only people who regret tattoos are the ones who didn't think it through fully. If you get a meaningful tattoo, there should be no reason to regret it.. but people nowadays just get random ass tattoos that look cool but mean nothing.

18. What's it like over there?!

19. I was gone for a few years but just came back to my hometown. A lot of older people are starting to retire, and the people taking their jobs, the kids coming in are straight skate/bmx kids from around 10, so you would be hardpressed now to find someone at a place of employment that doesn't have a tattoo, or a tattoo in a visible place. That includes doctors offices, dentists, and lawyers.