SO sick of looking for a job.

Discussion in 'General' started by Joerusalem, Jun 22, 2011.

1. most jobs that are hiring arent actually.

im every job i worked at we just kept the sign up, just to get applications.

didnt really make sense, but they got our newsletter ever month in their email lol.

and this was in 3 of the jobs i had.

if your looking for a job, better get ready to pound the fucking pavement.

40 applications is a days work dude.

and checking in on them gets hard if you arent organized.

2. Volunteer.

Get some volunteer work doing something you're interested in. You'll make the world a better place, you'll network with people, and it'll look good on your resume.

3. OK dude....

I can tell you how many losers I hired in 10 years that only dropped off an application and then went home and played video games "Hoping for a call"

ZERO.

PS: In most places its actually against the law to "throw away" an application... just an FYI

4. The OP is looking for weed money, he doesn't want to make the world a better place :laughing:.

trollface.jpg

5. I'm on the hiring committee at my work (in fact, I'm interviewing two people on Thursday), and I look for two things: values and qualifications.

I've never hired anybody for their perseverance if they didn't have the chops for the work, but soft skills are way more important than hard skills. I can teach anybody - well, pretty much anybody - to do the job (provided you have the fundamental skill set), but I can't teach you how to be a decent human being, how to have productive, functional relationships with other employees, how to make clients happy or how to enjoy your job.

6. I should also mention that I don't really have a resume or cover letter.. I have no idea how to make them anymore.. I've had two jobs one in 2008 and one in 2010. The second one i quit over an email without giving two weeks and i regret that now. I'm guessing the whole gap in your history doesn't help?

7. thats way too much to get a a p/t basic job. this is bad im obviously never going to get a job

8. Look at the mirror and practice for the interview. Try to sell yourself why you fit for this particular job you’re applying. First impression is really important. Of course, nothing is easy. But don’t be too discouraged if you don’t get a call.
    I usually expand my ideas following three topics below in order to convince the interviewer that I’m ready for the job.
    1.\tThat I can do the job
    2.\tThat I will do the job
    3.\tThat I will not stress everyone else out while I’m doing the job
    Keep trying. You just need to believe that you can be part of this country’s work force.

9. Honestly this is a little much, even though it's a good tactic. At least where I live, times are hard and jobs are very hard to come by. You will put out 70+ applications before even getting a callback, so to do this to over 50 different businesses would be a huge waste of time.

You can call and act friendly all you want, if they don't need you or you don't have the experience...

10. #30 Eros770, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hahah dude I couldn't agree more. This weird system of living America has created is so unnatural. I want to move off the grid.

11. i'm going to cut and paste a response i typed to someone else looking for a job...

first thing: looking for a job IS a job. spending just an hour or two a day looking for a job isn't really looking for a job (not to say you're doing that, just throwing out a general statement.). you need to go balls to the wall and make looking for a job your full time job. first thing you should do is get a resume and cover letter together. there are several types of resume styles (these summaries are cut and pasted from Resume Types: Chronological, Functional, Combination, Targeted):

chronological: starts by listing work history with the most recent position listed first. jobs are listed in reverse chronological order with your current/most recent job first. this type of resume is best suited for job seekers with a strong, solid work history.

functional: focuses on your skills and experience rather than chronological work history. used most often by job seekers who are changing careers or who have gaps in employment history.

combination: lists your skills and experience first. employment history is listed next. this type of resume highlights skills that are relevant to the job you are applying for and also provides chronological work history employers seem to prefer.

targeted: resume tailored to specifically highlight experience and skills you have relevant to the job you are applying for. may be more difficult to write then other forms of resumes, but are well worth the effort if the job you are applying for perfectly match your qualifications and experience.

mini: contains brief summary of career highlights and qualifications. may be used for networking purposes or shared upon request from a prospective employer or reference writer who may want an overview of accomplishments rather then a full length resume.

if you go to the link above you can see samples of the different types of resumes and find one suitable for you. you mentioned you only had two jobs with a significant gap of time in between, so a functional resume may be for you (just my opinion; after you see the samples of the various types you can obviously make that call yourself.).

also, when writing a resume remember to use good solid action verbs. for example:

Name of Employer: Location of Business
    Date Started - Date Ended
    Position/Title (this bit is from a retail position i had a few years back.)
    • Dealt tactfully and effectively with difficult customers.
    • Acquired excellent communication and interpersonal skills with public and co-workers.
    • Accurately handled cash.
    • Operated cash register and computer applications.
    • Maintained orderly store appearance.
    • Resolved customer problems and ensured satisfaction.
    • Successfully assisted customers in merchandise selection.
    • Processed orders via telephone and internet.

your local career center (if you go to the official website of your state there should be a link for job seekers/employment) should offer services to help you with resume writing, cover letters and job searching. some services may be free, others may cost a small fee (for me it was about $30).

next step is the cover letter. the main goal of your cover letter is to sell yourself and stand out from everyone else. focus on what you can bring to the job, not what the job can bring to you. i had a lot of difficulty writing a solid cover letter. i ended up going to my local career center and sat down with someone to help me with my cover letter a few weeks ago. i also had a friend who used to be a hiring manager who gave me a few samples of her cover letters so i could see how it was broken down. i applied for a few jobs with my improved cover letter and got a call back within a few days. i'm actually going in for testing for one tomorrow. i'm convinced my cover letter played a major role seeing as that was the only thing that changed.

just keep in mind when writing your resume/cover letter: employers spend a matter of seconds looking through a resume/cover letter (they do have hundreds, if not more, resumes/cover letters to look through and it would eat up a lot of time to spend 10-15 minutes on each and every single one) so it's important you catch their attention and stand out, otherwise your stuff is going to be put aside.

following up with a prospective employer is a good idea, but don't get to crazy about it. if you're applying online (i always think it's best to apply in person, but some places are transitioning to doing everything online.) check to see if they mention anything about calling in regards to your application. some places don't want applicants calling at all. i just recently got a state job and when i applied it was noted on the application they did not accept calls regarding the application. so definitely check for that because if you call when it clearly states not to that tells the hiring manager you don't know how to follow directions and that's not the impression you want to give.

i usually like to call 3-4 days (not including weekends/holidays) to follow up and see if they need any additional information. then after that i wait about a week. you have to remember as much as you want to show how excited you are about the job you don't want to harass them. you probably aren't the only person applying for the position and they could be swamped with resumes/cover letters and the last thing a busy hiring manager wants to deal with is someone harassing them every few days. my friend who used to be a hiring manager says it can come off as annoying and desperate. so do follow up, but don't harass them. just use your best judgment.

when you do get a job interview definitely bring a notepad (i use one of those legal notepads, the ones with yellow paper) with some question jotted down (at least 5 or so. the job a just got i went into the interview with 10-15). some of the questions you come in with may be answered throughout the course of the interview (usually you get a chance to ask questions towards the end.). by doing so you look prepared and like you actually give a damn about the company you work for and are interested in having a complete picture of what it would be like to work for the company. some questions i asked in my interview were:

1. what is the most difficult obstacle a (insert position here) would face within the first three months of employment? (i said within three months because the job i was interviewing for had a probationary period of 90 days for all new hires and that is the most crucial time for a new hire in the company i will now be working for. it shows you want to know about all aspects of the job, even the not so nice ones.)

2. how are employees evaluated and what measure of success? (how does the company determine if an employee is successful? in a retail/sales position it may be evaluated based on the dollar amount of sales you pull in.)

3. what is the spirit of the company like? (basically asking what is the environment like at the company. is it laid back? is it one of those jobs where workers bitch about what they put up with but would never quit?)

4. does the company have a policy for training and seminars for workers to freshen up on skills or learn new skills pertinent to the job? (shows you are interested in utilizing services they may offer to employees to help you become a better employee.)

and finally always always always always send a thank you note to your interviewer(s) post interview. it's surprising how few people actually do this and considering that it will definitely make you stand out from the other applicants. even if you don't get the job, the hiring manager will most likely remember you and that may keep the door open for any future opportunities.

sorry for the novel. hope this helps! and keep your head up! it's going to be tough especially since it's summer time and most college students are looking for work for the summer, but if you keep trying you WILL get something!

p.s. - the united states postal service does hire temporary/part time workers for clerk/mail handler/letter carrier positions. you probably won't get benefits, but the pay is pretty good. i did it for a summer and made about $700 - $900/wk depending on how much overtime i got. definitely worth looking into. also check temp agencies in your area. a friend of mine who used to work in a temp agency told me a lot of companies use temp agencies to find workers and even if it is temporary you may still get benefits and if you are good at the job you may get an extension or even an offer of permanent employment.

12. So whats a "real job"?

sitting behind a desk crunching numbers so some rich asshole can get richer? working for a bank that screws people out of money everyday? how about becoming a teacher, and feeding kids bullshit information?

to me the "real" jobs are the ones people DONT want to do. janitors, cooks, construction,nursing homes, etc because you're actually helping people in a way. Fuck working for the advancement of bullshit.

13. Create your own business or make youtube videos and get partnership or work for cha cha answering questions.

do the chacha thing, you get some funny questions sometimes and its really easy. It just takes a lot of time.

14. I feel ya dude I have a buddy who was making 100k+, lost his job spent 26 months unemployed and got a job for just under 60k. Which isn't bad but its a big difference.

15. Thanks for the support everyone.. It just seems impossible right now. The main thing stressing me is bringing up my record in an interview.. /sigh Hopefully i get some luck soon. :eek:

16. not sure why so many people have such trouble finding jobs...maybe i'm just lucky. i've never had to wait more than a week after applying somewhere, haha. i work on an afb right now, just got hired there after quitting fuckdonalds and papa johns...and i just got hired by a diesel mechanic shop working on big rigs making $10.79 an hour with little experience in the field. 40 hours a week, at least. that, along with my 20 hours a week on base making $9.05 will be some nice paychecks. one is biweekly, and one is weekly. pretty epic.

17. GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I've gotten a job at a gas station and start tomorrow. :D I can't wait to be able to smoke again. This T-break was brutal :bongin:

18. Congrats on the job. I'm in the same boat, unfortunately I'm in a state where unemployment is terrible, and in the summer it's a ghost town so NO ONE is hiring. I've put in applications at lots of places, and I call back to every one of them every single week, speak to the manager and I always get the same answer -- something along the lines of "we haven't had the chance to review applications yet but when we do we will look over qualifications and call back as necessary".

The worst was when I really wanted to work at a certain restaurant and I called back every week and spoke to the same manager every time, and I would go in person sometimes too to see how things were going, and this went on for like 2 months and one day I called back and the person I was talking to said the manager was busy, but they had just hired someone so they weren't looking anymore. W T F :mad:

19. fuck you recession!

20. I was in the same boat as you. What got me hired was knowing the right people. I always talk to this 60 year old lady when I go to the grocery store, and we were talking one day and I was telling her about how I needed a job and she took me and introduced me to a manager of a different section who hired me over the dozens of applications she got all because this lady brought me to her! Just some advice :)