FIRST GROW JOURNAL: Might have HERMIE!!! HELP ME IDENTIFY! PICS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MaconhaMan, Jun 16, 2011.

1. im gonna +1 on this.

2. did you already buy these things? what's your budget????

3. #23 ForbinsAscent, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    Quality King 1000W - Grow Light Package <--- is this the light you're looking at? if your temperatures are usually low throughout the year two-three 600 watt hps lights can be better because they emit warmth but dont get too hot, you won't need to use an air cooled reflector, it also works well this way in basements where temperatures are usually steady and cool, and having a big tent also helps. if you are going with a 1000w you should check out 1000w cmh bulbs, they operate on magnetic hps ballasts and emit a fuller light spectrum than an hps bulb. i have heard that philips ceramic metal halide are a great 'life light'.

that grow room is fairly large, suitable for flower with two lights... are you intending on having a separate cloning and growing area as well?

those booster fans won't really be much help unless they are attached to long sections of ducting that lead to the intake, and you have a centrifugal fan on the exhaust. you'll also need oscillating fans on the inside of the tent. your 6'' centrifugal fan runs around $100 and a 6''x24'' phresh filter is $160. i wouldnt get a cheap carbin filter if skunky odor is a concern.

4. Thats a good looking first grow man, congratulations on a good turn out
    hope your harvest is plentiful

peace

5. I actually think I might end up going with this http://www.monstergardens.com/grow-...mshopgreen.tpl&product_id=654&category_id=114

I mean, 4 air cooled reflectors, everything I need but pots and stuff. 4000W total light should be PLENTY in a 8x8 room, enough to give me the bare minimum yield. I will be using this room for flower only, another smaller space for constant vegging from seed only, no clones. I know I know, clones are better because blah blah I just like seeds and I can make a ton of em. After measuring the room I could fit a 10x10, but it would be really tight and the 8x8 would give me a lot more room to work around the tent. I am going with a tent instead of an room build because its completely movable, and I can just take it down when we are not growing. Much more practical that way. I know its expensive, but in a room like this with 20 plants that are all critical mass and producing 4-5 oz each, I think the investment is worth it. Does this system seem like a good bang for your buck? I cant put together something in the same price range on greners.com unless I skimp on the ballasts and the reflectors and lights.

6. i don;t know if clones are better- actually i think the farther from seed the clone is the more prone it may be to herm out. but it's an easy way to gain 'carbon' copies of your plants (eg with your favorite phenotype) and some clones may yield higher (eg flowering clone grows out like a monster crop). also they are actually very easy to take you just stick the cut in a humidity dome and mist once every two days.

regarding the lights, i'm sure that two 1000 watts will light that area suficiently. perhaps not every inch but you also need room for your oscillating fans. i reccomend if you are buying multiple bulbs that you try one 1000w ceramic metal halide along side the hps. one reason you may want to wait before getting more than a few lights in there is that you will have additional needs as the grow progresses, and they may not neccessarily be a need for additional light. nutrients, meters, filters, fans, blah blah bla. you may have two or three lights hanging in there and find that it is more than enough all things considered (weight you are hanging from tent, heat/temperature, etc).

I don't mean to lecture. I have been through this and have realized it is best to choose the gear you are going to grow with when you are not in a 'shopping' mindet. i know that seems counter intuitive but that's my experience.

you mentioned you are going to have a separate veg area. that is a great way to have a prepetual harvest. have you decided on a setup for that area? will it be near your flower room?

7. No the veg room will be a closet far away from the flower room. It has four shelves, one for every two weeks veg. Will keep the lights on 24/7 there and then have another closet for pre flowering 18/6 for right before the flowering stage. Closet should 45 plants easy, and the other one should hold 20 plants no problem. That make sense.

8. Ok so I have some new pics, and the plants are looking good, but I nute burned them. One feeding like a week ago and the one plant really didnt like it. Today it was day three of it showing signs and I decided to do a flush. Put like 5 gallons of water through her. Check out the buds. They are all starting to fill in nicely. One plant is bending because of the weight on top, and because it stretched in veg a little. Anyway, check em out, let me know what you think. As always any criticism/input is always appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. More pics. Also, for any of you involved in the conversation about my grow room, I think I have it decided. I went against the tent. 900 bucks for that tent can supply a lot of things for the room itself, and so I scratched it and went with this stuff. I am planning on Four 1000w hps air cooled with magnetic ballasts, about 1200 cfm blowing through the lights and cooling the room, with six 16 inch wall mounted fans blowing, and one 900 cfm carbon filter at intake into the room and one at outlet. Also was thinking about getting smart pots, anybody know anything about those?

Attached Files:

10. can you get 8 inch hoods? and run one big 8 inch fan to cool. and a smaller ish 6 inch fan still pulling like 400cfm for stink.

plants are looking good.

and i like to pull through my filter.

in my old grow you can see i just put a fan sucking air, on top of the carbon filter and just put it on the floor and exhausted the air out of the room.

also be ready to have the hot air exhausting out of the room.

as 1000 watts emit ALOT of heat even with cooling running threw them.

but in a room its easier to keep stuff cool.

11. Yeah pig I saw the light and decided to go with the room. You are the shiznizzlle.

12. Second grow critical mass 4000w :):):):):)