Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Being 'addicted', the entire stigma with weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by infamousnugz, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I got back from the pdoc today. Apparently I have Bi-Polar II which makes sense in ways. I've had a mood disorder coupled with ADHD since I was a child so my mind is always accelerated and I can't see my situation as a whole nor can I feel much of a sense of self, mind you I haven't smoked weed for the majority of my life and the feelings now as then are the same. Weed break or not.

I'm tired of people placing marijuana in the problem in the lives of others. My psychiatrist claims that there's an anxiety disorder associated with weed. For some, it seems that way. I've felt anxious as hell on some strains before, but there are many factors. I feel as though the stigma associated with weed being 'illegal' is why people place their hearts aside this word addiction. My Mother for example, thinks I'm addicted to weed, physically and psychologically, just because I medicate with it and because I shouldn't have to. I do it because I'm addicted apparently, that's why I keep coming back.

I don't feel that way. I want it, I don't need it, but I want it because it makes me happy and I just love it. While I do have dependency issues at times depending on how bad I feel, I confidently can say that marijuana has helped more than other medications I've been fed. Hell, I'm supposed to take Seroquel now and I'm hesitant on how it's going to affect marijuana use and how I feel in general, whether or not it will help.

If weed was legal global, just for one second in your mind... would it be accepted in its casual use more than alcohol? I would imagine so. Places like Holland see it this way. There's just no anxiety in that situation of getting caught smoking or being looked down on by others in any way. I get shit for weed like nothing else, I'm always defending the herb.

tldr: I feel as though weed has many benefits for mental illnesses, but it's often too dismissed as a treatment for anxiety or whatever else because of the stigma and the fact that people blame dependency before looking at the pros and cons.

Don't bother pulling the mental illnesses aren't real card. Live it or don't talk basically.

Thanks for reading, what do you think?

2. The only anxiety I really get from weed is basically a result of an increased heart rate, which my mind seems to interpret as fear. That's just short term, though. I think weed isn't powerful enough to cause somebody to be 'addicted' in any physical sense. The only sort of weed addiction I can imagine is more of a habitual one, where a person just likes it too much to stop. Like masturbating. ;)

3. #3 fucking baked, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
    i don't really get what you're asking, but i have to say weed intensifies any feeling that's already there honestly. if your sad your going to be fucking sad if your happy your gonna feel awesome if your anxious ________

and no weed isnt addictive people play that "mentally addictive" shit but you have to be the weakest mother fucker ever to NEED weed like ciggerets or harder drugs. its addictive in the same sense as video games.... its not. you just want to play them cause it makes you happy. thats really why we do anything that we do. to be happy.

4. Sorry if my topic isn't clear, I tend to distort what I'm saying or just splurge text.

Basically, I'm wondering if people believe that weed can be smoked without consequence depending on the person, and if as a whole, is more effective than many of the treatments out there for mental disorders. I believe the topic gets cut off too quickly with mentioning of marijuana, depression or anxiety. How many people told me not to smoke it before I did, and currently, acting like they know how it affects me and my moods. They don't know that shit.

I disagree in ways that it brings out all feelings. My mood in the run of 3 weeks is generally the same. I have ups and downs daily because of whatever the fuck disorder, but I've always lived like it. For me, weed slows my ADD down, I feel smarter and shit and I can rap fast as fuck and play video games much better when I smoke. It usually gives me confidence and gets rid of anxiety, and the only type of anxiety I'll get, is more of an anticipation/excited type of anxiety in my stomach.

While it does intensify feelings, I can choose to turn off feelings when I smoke, or leave them on the same as in a sober mind. Weed or not, I don't feel my mind act any differently and I only see pros aside from eating the house out or being groggy in the morning.

5. Im not addicted, i just love to smoke it all day everyday. WHATS SO WRONG WITH THAT?!?!

Its a healthier lifestyle than the most Americans are sporting these days....

6. I don't think I'm addicted to weed but I really like it lol

7. If I felt good enough I'd exercise regularly, continue with good dieting and smoke. I've worked full-time before and I was a stoned all of the time. I cut back to a reasonable amount before and after work and I managed perfectly fine in the long run.

If it was legal, and this stigma was dropped, I think that I'd enjoy life with my weed to the fullest.

8. Fuck the labels. I only smoke on the days ending with a "Y" anyways.:D

9. Just smoke it man and fuck the haters.

10. #10 fucking baked, Jun 15, 2011
    yeah if i understand what your saying OP i say it definitely depends on the person IMO.

i havent used marijuana as much more then a recreational thing though so take my word worth a grain of salt.

as for it being addictive. reefer to the other post.

11. Weeds been proven to worsen some mental conditions so be careful. That aside, even the DEA Chief Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young said, "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the most theraputically active substances known. It would be unreasonable, arbitrary and capricious for the DEA to stand between those sufferer's and the substance."

12. I hate the increased heart rate bs. I always get that when I smoke skunky stuff.

13. Ok, firstly, see more than one pdoc. Please. The majority of those people are.. let's just say more than one or two opinions would be wise.

You sound young, maybe college aged, I think you need to stop diagnosing yourself and analyzing shit that you plain aren't qualified to interpret. And one of the hardest things to do with weed for some people is to step back and get real about it - while weed is definitely getting more mainstream and people are coming to terms with it being more than just some gateway 'drug', I think some are taking it too far in terms of it's benefits. Maybe you're in that boat?

I have walked through the pdoc circuit.. done all that shit.. I smoke a lot of weed, I can tell you right now it helps and it hurts.

14. And while you are seeking a second psychiatric opinion,you may also consider a more complete medical evaluation to rule out the obscure potential physical causes of your issues, such as endocrine disorders.

From Granny Storm Crow's most excellent list:

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/645925-grannys-mmj-list-july-2010-a.html

BIPOLAR DISORDER

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder: Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Clinical Research (full -1998)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/TheUse...rDisorder.html

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal/ news - 2002 )
    Recipe For Trouble - 48 Hours - CBS News

Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential. (full - 2005)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/Cannab...veDisorder.pdf

Cannabis in bipolar (abst - 2005)
    Bipolar Disorder Daily News Blog: Cannabis in bipolar

Cannabis Spray for Bipolar (news - 2005)
    Cannabis Spray for Bipolar

Marijuana Could Provide Mental Health Treatments (news - 2005)
    Marijuana Could Provide Mental Health Treatments

Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill (news - 2005)
    Chemicals in Cannabis may help mentally ill

The effect of extreme marijuana use on the long-term course of bipolar I illness: a single case study. (abst - 2007)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Journal article

DEPRESSION

The perceived effects of smoked cannabis on patients with multiple sclerosis.
    (abst - 1997)

Anxiety with Depression Research Review (full - 2000)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/Anxiet...archReview.pdf

Therapeutic Aspects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids (full - 2001)
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/178/2/107.pdf

Association between cannabis use and depression may not be causal, study says
    (news - 2004)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Cannabinoids promote hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005)
    Journal of Clinical Investigation -- Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Antidepressant-like activity by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis (full - 2005)
    Antidepressant-like activity and modulation of brain monoaminergic transmission by blockade of anandamide hydrolysis

Depression in Parkinson's disease is related to a genetic polymorphism of the cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) (full - 2005)
    The Pharmacogenomics Journal - Depression in Parkinson's disease is related to a genetic polymorphism of the cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1)

New Antidepressant Drug Increases 'Brain's Own Cannabis' (news - 2005)
    New Antidepressant Drug Increases 'Brain's Own Cannabis'

Cannabis' Acts as Antidepressant (news - 2005)
    'Cannabis' Acts as Antidepressant: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]

Cannabis And Depression Research (news - 2005)
    Cannabis And Depression Research: The Hempire - [cannabis, legalise]

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005)
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Decreased depression in marijuana users. (full - 2006)
    http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/...nMjUsers05.pdf

The synthetic cannabinoid nabilone improves pain and symptom management in cancer patients (abst - 2006)

Marijuana use and depression among adults: Testing for causal associations.
    (abst - 2006)
    Marijuana use and depression among adults: Testing... [Addiction. 2006] - PubMed result

Do patients use marijuana as an antidepressant? (abst - 2006)
    Do patients use marijuana as an antidepressant? [Depression. 1996] - PubMed result

A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression (full - 2007)
    A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression

Chronologically overlapping occurrences of nicotine-induced anxiety- and depression-related behavioral symptoms: effects of anxiolytic and cannabinoid drugs (full - 2007) (needs registration)
    BioMed Central | Full text | Chronologically overlapping occurrences of nicotine-induced anxiety- and depression-related behavioral symptoms: effects of anxiolytic and cannabinoid drugs

Cannabinoids elicit antidepressant-like behavior and activate serotonergic neurons through the medial prefrontal cortex. (full - 2007)
    Cannabinoids Elicit Antidepressant-Like Behavior and Activate Serotonergic Neurons through the Medial Prefrontal Cortex -- Bambico et al. 27 (43): 11700 -- Journal of Neuroscience

A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression (full - 2007)
    A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression

Dronabinol and marijuana in HIV-positive marijuana smokers: caloric intake, mood, and sleep. (abst - 2007)

Marijuana-Like Brain Chemicals Work As Antidepressant (news - 2007)
    Marijuana-like Brain Chemicals Work As Antidepressant

Marijuana chemical may treat depression (news - 2007)
    Study: Marijuana chemical may treat depression

Cannabis: Potent Anti-Depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses (news - 2007)
    Cannabis: Potent Anti-depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses

Synthetic form of THC is an effective anti-depressant at low doses (news - 2007)
    Synthetic form of THC is an effective anti-depressant at low doses

Treating depression with cannabinoids (full - 2008)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/..._2008_02_2.pdf

Animal research highlights a therapeutic potential of cannabinoids for the treatment of depression (full - 2008)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/..._2008_02_1.pdf

Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. (abst - 2009)
    Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. [Br J Psychiatry. 2009] - PubMed result

Antidepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: possible involvement of 5-HT receptors. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Antidepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: possible involvement of 5-HT1A receptors. Journal article

Antidepressant-like effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoids isolated from Cannabis sativa L. (abst - 2010)
    Antidepressant-like effect of Delta9-tetrahydrocan... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2010] - PubMed result

15. #15 infamousnugz, Jun 15, 2011
    Well, the whole idea of a corrupt pdoc that passes out antidepressants like candy has been instilled since the beginning of this search to find out what is wrong. I'm tired of people telling me to buck up and deal as I've been doing that for years. I have an imbalance, something, and it's either anti-psychotic medications it seems, or marijuana at my own choice and expense.

I can only sustain a sober mind in intervals of being high and coming down off of being high. Also, I believe the benefits aren't looked at enough actually. The fact that it's illegal and the stigma is there is half of the reason why many of the psychological side effects exist. I feel anxious in public because of the paranoia, fear of being caught almost. I feel marked. I want to feel unmarked. It distorts the real image in ways and I think that benefits are overlooked as a result, despite negatives still existing.

Also, I'm 22 and I'm definitely capable of analyzing mental illness at this point. Try doing that your entire life, even as a child. Analyzing the mind, thought patterns. It's an excessive urge, it is a weird thing, but I do it and it has given me the ability to skip the bullshit with my psychiatrist and talk about things I have knowledge on as well, to her surprise a lot of the time it seems.

16. And don't forget to get tested for celiac disease!
    Asymptomatic celic disease very common in Norway:)

High prevalence of asymptomatic coeliac disease in... [Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999] - PubMed result
    Celiac Disease Is A Risk Factor For Schizophrenia

17. No, weed is definitely mentally addictive for more than "the weakest mother fuckers"

It may not be a "I need weed" situation but many have trouble not buying more weed almost immediately after they run out, despite the fact that they may want to not buy some the very next day.

18. very true. i feel for you and i feel for these ignorant people who consider weed a bad substance or somehow unnatural. yeah i am just a kid now but it doesnt matter i love marijuana and it will always be a part of my life i plan on going to college getting a career having kids and starting a family and every step of the way weed will be a huge part of my life. i cant imagine not being high for around 40 percent of the time that I am awake and beside the stigma and having to hide what i do like i am ashamed, there are no negatives (be them physiological, mental, social, etc. but maybe a bit economical lol) with my lifestyle because thats what it its, not a bad habit or an addiction but a lifestyle. it makes everything i do think and feel more beautiful and while at time i am frustrated and may have a bit of a dependence, it is no more harmful than my eating habits and definitely not as mentally harmful as alochol nor as physically harmful as tobacco.

its a beautiful plant that helps not hurts and i dont know if this fits here or not, this is just how i feel

19. and while i too, like the op, distort the meaning in lieu of long walls of spurted text, i agree with those that say its like a video game or masturbating. and while there is evidence that indicates these can create psychological reward-based relationships that are akin to addictions i think it just boils down to being happy. it makes me happy and it is a part of my life just like other people and food and music and other things are a natural part of my life. of course my brain creates a connection between weed and positive experiences and so there is a "mental yearning" for it but thats how it is with all good things.

i guess its kind of like love in that i have this mental yearning for it and that it makes me feel both better physically, (in that i get high duh haha) and mentally. It sort of takes me down a notch almost. like yeah, im jeff t*** with a family and a dog and i still need to go to school and i like these certain things and have these hobbies and this is who i am but i am also this child of the earth (oh shit im starting to sound like a hippie) that gets stone as fuck in a forest on a summer day, laughs when he sees bunny rabbits, spends about 2 hours satiating his munchies with his friend by eating fresh mullberries from tree straight to mouth, and watching the sunset and tripping out to good music and just plain laughing. the fact that weed makes me reconcile this base-er, more spiritual ( i am not religious btw), and rooted in nature part of me with the day to day jeff is good. i am more emotionally in tune with the world around me and yeah maybe in the long term if my reality is distorted a bit but for the better and that is my decision to make. and props to op for that line about mental illnesses dont judge other people who have hard lives.

end rant.

20. That was spot on. holy shit my mind is blown. thats like literally the exact way to explain it.

i love u