Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I sometimes think that the idea of "munchies" was made up.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ItsAdamYo, Jun 2, 2011.

1. and if you click any of the above ^^^ links you will find that your theory is incorrect,

2. It doesn't make me hungry but when I do eat I never feel full.

3. Munchies are not a placebo effect...

4. #24 FoRsAkEn StOnEr, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Agreed!

5. I would love not getting munchies. I ate a multipack of crisps by myself last night and a few health bars. The only reason I didn't eat more was the fact I didn't want to wake anyone up by going to the kitchen. :p

But it can be awesome at other times. Getting a chinese takeaway with a few friends whilst baked is awesome. The hilarity of going to get the food in the first place and the fact that it's orgasmically good. :smoke:

6. I somewhat agree although it really has everything to do with the strain, some strains you can eat before and be fine however others theres no stopping you from going straight through a large pizza

7. Yeah dude. You're the only one who thinks that. I practically destroy my kitchen when I'm baked. Lol

8. I wasn't saying that my theory was correct, just some observations as everything as an individual side to it. For me, I don't get munchies until I start thinking "wait, shouldn't I have the munchies?" Which, of course, is not the case for others. Theres definitely a psychological aspect to "munchies"

9. "My theory is weed doesn't make you hungry, just more observant to the fact that everything will taste better high."

"and if you click any of the above ^^^ links you will find that your theory is incorrect,"

Rats don't lie about how much food they eat, stoned or not, and they eat more when stoned! The munchies do exist. (CB1 receptors are the ones responsible for the cannabis high)

Activating Parabrachial Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors Selectively Stimulates Feeding of Palatable Foods in Rats (full - 2008)
    Activating Parabrachial Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors Selectively Stimulates Feeding of Palatable Foods in Rats

And food DOES taste better when stoned!

Endocannabinoids selectively enhance sweet taste (full - 2009)
    Endocannabinoids selectively enhance sweet taste

Enhanced Sweet Taste: Endocannabinoids Act Directly on Tongue Taste Receptors (news - 2009)
    Enhanced sweet taste: Endocannabinoids act directly on tongue taste receptors

There's also a drop in blood sugar which is somewhat dependent on your tolerance to cannabis. (I have a study that mentions this as a side note, but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now.) This may explain why some of you don't get the munchies- your body has built up a tolerance to the blood sugar drop which is what sets off the munchies phenomena in most folks.

10. it drops your blood sugar level and makes you crave sweets dont say that its made up its a fact. am i going to tell you that the sky is brown?

11. "My theory is weed doesn't make you hungry, just more observant to the fact that everything will taste better high."

"and if you click any of the above ^^^ links you will find that your theory is incorrect,"

Rats don't lie about how much food they eat, stoned or not, and they eat more when stoned! The munchies do exist. (the CB1 receptors are the ones responsible for the cannabis high)

Activating Parabrachial Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors Selectively Stimulates Feeding of Palatable Foods in Rats (full - 2008)
    Activating Parabrachial Cannabinoid CB1 Receptors Selectively Stimulates Feeding of Palatable Foods in Rats

And food DOES taste better when stoned!

Endocannabinoids selectively enhance sweet taste (full - 2009)
    Endocannabinoids selectively enhance sweet taste

Enhanced Sweet Taste: Endocannabinoids Act Directly on Tongue Taste Receptors (news - 2009)
    Enhanced sweet taste: Endocannabinoids act directly on tongue taste receptors

There's also a drop in blood sugar which is somewhat dependent on your tolerance to cannabis. (I have a study that mentions this as a side note, but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now. :smoke: ) This may explain why some of you don't get the munchies- your body has built up a tolerance to the blood sugar drop which is what sets off the munchies phenomena in most folks.

Granny :wave:

12. It depends on the strain you are smoking... I have had strains that I smoke and dont get hungry... some strains I smoke and I get instant munchies.. it matters what strain your smokin on :smoke:

13. I dont get hungry when i smoke. When im gigh i just feel like i got better things to do

14. I am unsubscribing. This is a retarded thread lol. It's fact that some receptors are located in areas that affect hunger, but perhaps some strains more than others. If your hungry, mange. If you ain't, don't.

CASE CLOSED

15. I don't normally get the munchies either, but I do from time to time. I usually get the munchies when I come down though. I just eat apples and other healthy food so I don't feel as guilty for punishing my body with Pop Tarts, Icees and all the other junk I like to eat if I'm high.

16. I think it blocks the signalling of leptin, or vice versa increases it, either way leptin is Leptin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia this stuff and it interacts with the endocannabinoids to stimulate your hunger and whatnot

17. Marijuana stimulates your appetite.

18. I can go all day without eating a single thing and not feeling hungry, but as soon as i take a hit from my bong I'm grubbin' for the rest of the night.

19. im pretty sure it effects part of your brain that controls hunger or taste or something. but wtf, i have never heard it making you want to try something you've never had. it just makes food taste x10 better