Ok guys, Please PLEASE help.Can I use this light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dragon999, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Alright, here's my situation:

I live overseas, and it sucks BADLY that I can't just waltz into a nice hydroponic store like I would if I were back in the States..

I really want to do a grow right and get a 400w HPS for about 4 plants. But all they sell in this friggin' place is these industrial lights that are used for billboards and advertisements. Yes they are 400w and yes they take HPS lightbulbs (albeit they sell ones that are not exactly horticultural grade but are still 2000k and 400w)...but I mean look at the damn thing. What do you think, can I use it?

ÕýÆ··ÉÀûÆÖͶ¹âµÆ400W»§ÍâÕÕÃ÷µÆ¹ã¸æµÆ ÉäµÆ 400W¸ßѹÄƵÆ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

I hope you can see the link. It's an online shop thats for this region. I don't wanna go with CFLs for flower cause I keep seeing how HPS produces better all around(don't wanna start a war with that comment, but after all the grows I've seen thats my opinion). And I don't wanna go LED because there's still lots of controversy on them and although I've seen some nice grows with them they're still friggin expensive. I might supplement with a couple 50w 2700k CFL's if you guys think this won't do the job.

I really appreciate you experienced growers' advice- peace

P.S. don't worry about room dimensions and ventilation and all that for now, I just wanna know if you guys think this light will produce bud as good as other HPS' or not. I think I'd take the glass off the bottom of that thing.

2. My browser is showing that link as a jumble of text and symbols, so I'm placing it here in type just in case: h ttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8644002801

don't forget to remove the space from "http" if you use it. peace-

3. #3 Deleted member 369225, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    Well I looked at the page quickly, and it won't reload again so I cannot double check...

But it appears as if there is no cord ready to be plugged into the wall, so take into consideration you may have to wire it, and if you are not comfortable then you should find a different option. Also I don't know if this is the correct price translation or not but $55 is pretty cheap.

So if you decided to buy it and got it all hooked up and working, it would indeed grow your plants like any other MH setup of comparable lumens

EDIT: Just noticed the input voltage is 220, normally that's not very practical for a small grow because
    A. You usually have like one or two 220v in your house which are already being used by your dryer and some other large appliance.
    B. It wouldn't be cost effective to really buy that because you would need to have an electrician hook up a 220v wall plug which would make as much or more than typical HID setups, or wire it yourself and play with fire (unless you know, you're an electrician)

4. Look for lighting stores that carry Ballast kits. You get the transformer, cap, ignitor, bulb mogul, and some misc. hardware. All you need to buy is the bulb and a two conductor cord to run from the ballast output to the bulb mogul. Also a reflector of some sort unless you want to go without one.

If online purchasing is an option, I'm sure there is a vendor that ships to you. Just google for 400W ballast kit.

5. #5 dragon999, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for your reply man. About the wiring, I can easily find electricians here or from the shop that would wire it. I saw one in a shop and asked about the plug, they said I'd have to attach a wire with plug but that it'd be easy.

About voltage, this region uses 220v as a standard unlike the U.S. and I intend on dedicating one whole wall socket for it alone (a socket that was once used for the A/C). I'll have separate sockets to plug in other CFL's, fans, and a mini AC.

But like you said if I did indeed get it set up and working it'd grow my plants like any other HPS setup of comparable lumens and watts. That's good news.I have to sacrifice things out here, and electricity I think is gonna have to be one of those things.

6. Hey man thanks, I guess I didn't mention this thing has a ballast already set up inside of it. It's one of those high intensity discharge ballasts. basically a little white box with some round kind of plugs attached to it. I then just have to get a wire or cord with a three prong plug and attach it to it.

I maybe could ship an ENTIRE grow light kit over here, but I'm not sure about the safety of that, and also I'd have to get adapters for the plugs. Also it'd be pretty damn expensive. But i've considered that route for sure. Ballasts I can buy over here already. it's just the reflective hoods they don't have.

Would you guys take the glass cover off of this thing before using it? would that be better?

7. hi i had a look at the link you given its in Japanese or something so i cant read a thing i could see the photo but again that could be anything so sorry about that

i have a 400w HPS and YES they do work am grown 9 plants under it they growing great

heres a link to the exsact light bulb i bought
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Sodium-light-bulb-fitting/dp/B002CI6822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303262075&sr=8-1]Finelite Branded HPS High pressure Sodium Growlight Bulb E40 screw in fitting.: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting[/ame]

heres a link to a ballast (needed must have)
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Esoteric-Hydroponics-400W-HPS-Ballast/dp/B004PGTMOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=lighting&qid=1303668012&sr=8-1]400W HPS MH Ballast: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting[/ame]

and heres the reflector
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reflector-Reflection-Hydroponics-Agriculture-Greenhouse/dp/B0045CTII4/ref=pd_bxgy_light_img_]Netponics Dutch Barn Reflector, Grow Light Reflection: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

i know the prices seem pretty high but thats actually cheap compared to other places

hope this helps some what

8. Hey buddy thanks for those. Yeah I know you are using an actual growlight. What I was asking is if I could use this industrial type of 400w HPS to the same effect.

And by the way the language you saw was Chinese, and that was the light I was talking about. Its used for lighting billboards and advertisements x_x

9. i didnt know there was different HPS's mine is also sold for street lights aswel as a grow light so yeah maybe that light you showed us if it HPS am sure it will grow plants