Downgirl's Tent Grow and potluck mix.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Downgirl2182, May 31, 2011.

1. Jerry

At it's very basic definition, a cutting is a branch that has been removed from a plant, correct?

LD

2. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']Jerry

At it's very basic definition, a cutting is a branch that has been removed from a plant, correct?

LD[/quote]

I'll bite. :). Yes it is!

Hi DG:wave:

3. Okay - so at least 420inMI agrees with the basic premise that a cutting is generally a branch from a plant.

Had we not removed this branch, what would you expect to happen to this branch as the plant grows?

LD

4. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']Okay - so at least 420inMI agrees with the basic premise that a cutting is generally a branch from a plant.

Had we not removed this branch, what would you expect to happen to this branch as the plant grows?

LD[/quote]

I'd expect that the branch would grow aswell.

5. They do, it takes a while tho. I have a mom that is 20 years old and a generation 10. I kill the mom about every other year, but not in the last 4, on average, and have to grow out the present clone into a new mom. It IS degrading... I am presently loosing this one and I'm pissed, it's a killer plant. It's clone looks like I pushed it thru a blackberry bramble backwards.

Blades can be controlled too, I have done this in an attempt to camophlage my plants on the back deck. If you plant in 12/12 from seed, you end with a plant that has 3 blades only, and looks like Duck or Ducksfoot. It never gains more, cyclus interuptus?

6. [quote name='"SkunkPatronus"']

Blades can be controlled too, I have done this in an attempt to camophlage my plants on the back deck. If you plant in 12/12 from seed, you end with a plant that has 3 blades only, and looks like Duck or Ducksfoot. It never gains more, cyclus interuptus?[/quote]

Very cool info.

7. etting interesting. Some say no, and some say yo.

Which will it be? :)

Elle Dee, what is the moral of the branch story?

8. #1088 fif3l, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012

MAN! CHUNK, i knew about this, yet i didnt apply it to the clone debate... thanks for connecting the dots man!!!
    i was blown away when i learned about the avacado tree.

....and now im subscribed to your thread DG! :)

9. I love guacamole:)

10. So back to the tree branch illustration/analogy: when Christmas trees are planted to grow to a certain height, these are cuttings from donor plants that are at a different stage of growth (1 - 3 years old).

To insure that you'll harvest perfect shaped trees, it is necessary to remove branch material around the bottom (just like we do) and new rooted cuttings are created from these branches. And this goes on year after year and if you're growing any amount you will have rooted cuttings to sell and those cuttings will be planted, cloned, etc.

Same thing with heirloom apples. If you were to take the seeds from a Spitzenburg apple and plant them you would not end up with that cultivar - cross-pollination in the orchard insures that so grafts are the way that these old varieties are maintained. There have been incidents where an old apple tree on a forgotten farm is found, barely alive, plant material is removed and grafted onto healthy root stock and from those branches cuttings will be taken and the project will be expanded to several root stocks.

Tomato plants are perennials and if you're growing heirloom tomatoes and you want to insure that you will make a profit you can bet that cloning the best plants for next year's fields is mandatory. You have that consistency in hybrids (it's claimed) but with heirlooms when you find 'the keeper' you clone the piss out of it and you continue that plant for years and years.

And back to the tree branch analogy - a branch will grow out producing new branches along its shaft and those blah, blah, blah, blah - in effect the tree is producing it's own 'cuttings' - so if a tree is 200+ years old wouldn't you expect to see dramatic changes? As in something has gone amiss?

LD

11. Well said.

Attached Files:

12. #1092 SkunkPatronus, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
    Large and small feedback loops for hormonal distribution and release are kinda different for plants with such a short life than a tree that lives so very long. I had observed that clonning is hard with my plant, and that it is in about it's 10th generation. It is a likely thing to think of genetic degredation, in it's ability to do 'something'. I guessed. I have seems changes in blade allotment in plants that are germinated and growing in 12/12 light only. Maybe someting about light cycle disruption changes a feedback loop in the plants hormonal distribution and not a genetic change. The clone is really only it's self...but you do see changes, just maybe I don't know what is making the changes in many generation clone of a clone plant. I do see dramatic changes, unlike I would expect in a tree which can live longer, plants show changes quicker, they live faster, live shorter??? I'm high, I ramble. I think that it's easy to say that a clone is always a clone if you have never seen changes, or tried to manipulate for a particular outcome and accidentally bumped into something.

Shit this Kalichakra is strong. Must write a smoke report.

:wave:

13. A shout out and a thread bump to you DG. I hope you're just on a 2 week vacation and will be coming back soon:)

chunk

14. In a serial clone situation, the clones aren't getting weaker, the plant is getting older. Additionally stress is known to take years off the lives of plants just like it does humans, so yes, of course the clones get weaker. But it has nothing at all to do with genetic degradation.

I'm not saying that genetic degradation can't occur from repeated cloning, but if it does happen, it's dubious that you will see it in your lifetime.

Good write up on avocados and apples and whatnot y'all :) Had a grafting lab last week and grafted some of both :)