Downgirl's Tent Grow and potluck mix.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Downgirl2182, May 31, 2011.

1. Thanks GT! I'm hoping the babies are going to love it:D It has become a room full and I need some storage haha! I did originally plan on running all cfl's but I recently decided I will probably add an LED strip light or two for side lighting. Only reason I am not doing MH or HPS lights is because I would like to learn more about them and the cooling/set up for them. They seem very powerful for what I plan on growing at the moment, maybe max 5 or 6, but of course I would need to get more lights.

Also update on my EWC I emailed unco industries(maker of wiggle worms) about where my shipping info was. They said they have set it up to ship next week and I should have it within 2-3 days of June 13th.. WTF!!!!!! Ok so here is what they dont tell you before you buy. There is no shipping charge which they will tell you but they dont tell you they take there time getting it to you. I guess I can not whine and bitch because shipping would have been $16.00 for a 15lb bag. They just know they got you by the balls because shipping would have raped me instead..pfftt..

2. Haha! I feel ya dg.... I'm like, " cool this is ultra stealth, no possible way to be found out!" now its more like... " I hope no one with half a brain takes more than a 2 second glance at this room" but I'll clean up... Eventually.. ;)

Take a look at t5 lighting, it's awesome for indoors, great results, and still no heat issues.. I like em, but also I've seen some kickass led results too :)

3. I know right! haha. I have to keep my bedroom door closed at all times or if someone comes over and looks in my room they would be like WTH is that huge black stand up wardrobe doing in your room and why is it all shiny inside :pP

I have heard a lot about the T5 lighting and I am going to go read up some more about it. The only LED's I planned on using were for some sort of side lighting. I dont know we will see though. My head is spinning so fast and this is all I think about all day and how I can better things or what things I need to get. Its like this has became a new hobby in its own. Not only that but im starting to grow some veggies too. I havent grown anything like that since I was kid helping my dad in his garden. Its like a disease and the process of growing has become the addiction in itself. I hope im not the only one who feels like that lol. My husband was shocked to see just how detailed of process this all is. Then I told him its no damn wonder why when I was a teenager and younger adult why I didn't grow my own. Its time consuming and I had other worries like where I was going to party and crash for the night haha!

4. Hey DG
    Your town sounds like a great place to live other than the fact that MG dominates the agriculture industry. And it definitely is scary. Sad thing is we are pretty much limited to that option. I say boycott those bastards and make your own compost or worm castings. Go back to the old roots.
    I want to create a my own permaculture(self-sustaining farm no reliance on outside products) one day and live in a town like yours, where people work hard and aren't too greedy. Where they really know how to enjoy life. I live in the city and it's just so depressing.:(
    Anyways You should roll up a phatty and watch this documentary called "Dirt". It's a great docu and with lots of information on what's been going on.
    And I'm glad to hear your moving to healthier lifestyle. I was and am doing the same:hello:.

I would let the sickly one grow out a bit to see if she bounces back. If not I would chuck her.
    And bagseeds are great for beginners to start so you can learn a few things before investing in seeds. By the way are you keeping track of your temp and humidity?

And if you want to go fully organic. Make that compost tea and use it for rooting. Takes around the same time as just cloning gel or maybe a day longer. The two combined will speed up the process by half. This is according to my observations.

Here's a little lighting info too help you out on your choice of lighting.

I know you're not to sure about HIDs but it's not that difficult to deal with. The only thing is that you have to invest more money than the other light set ups. For a good set up you would need an air-cooled hood and a strong exhaust fan. Preferably inline as they run the most quiet.
    T5s replicate the spectrum of the sun the best out of all. The only thing is the intensity isn't as good as HIDs. I use t5's for veg they love them. Although the once they get bigger they prefer MH.
    If you are going with LEDs, you should be careful and make sure you get the right ratio and the right spectrums of light. I personally don't really believe in LED's because they are not efficient at spreading light.

5. #25 Downgirl2182, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    My town is a descent place to live(sometimes) Everyone knows everyone and everyone helps everybody but at the same point everyone is SUPER nosey about your business so that sucks..Im down for an MG boycott! In fact I should write to them and just go off LOL! But that usually gets me in trouble when I speak my mind lol. I think a permaculture business would be right up this towns alley! We have nurserys and such but like I said its all dominated by chemical using companies. I plan on seeing if netflix has that doc tonight, i think I will make it a doc night. I love documentaries about anything really:D

You are right bagseeds are awesome for beginners which is why I started on them and not 60$ for 5 seeds:D
    The only issue with the t5 and is like you said I need to invest more money and at this time I dont have enough to go buy that. I have birthdays coming up and such and need to keep some extra cash flow but its something I am def going to look into for my next grow.

I have a digi thermometer and humidy and I also have nice a/c in my room which keeps it cool in here for me and my babies:D
    I should be getting a knock on the door any minute now from the ups man who has my pc fans. So this is what i thought on doing. Using one of the 6'' holes at the top for my exhaust and then attaching the shiney dryer ducting to it and the using the 4'' inch hole for my intake and attaching a pvc elbow to it for light trapping. I heard you need twice the size of intake for what your exhaust if this is the case should I use two 4inch holes for the intake? What do you think I should do?
    Another question which this might be stupid but can i have my intake and exhaust on the same side? Like the intake would be the bottom 4inch hole and the exhaust would be the other 4 inch hole at the top of the top but the opposite side of the intake. as seen in this photo:
    [​IMG]

6. Hey dg, you can have it on the same side, but its more advisable to do it on opposite sides. you suck the cold air in the bottom, it circulates and warms up, warm air rises as we all know and then its sucked out by the point farthest from where it is taken in which means its circulated throughout the room.

hey what size is that tent??

7. I just don't want to cut a hole in my brand new tent:( there isnt an intake hole on the opposite side but there are two mesh vents on each side. Its 4ftx4ftx6.5 ft. I used the the LxWxH / 5 min formula and it came to 130 cfm so I bought a pc case fan capable of 133 cfm I actually bought 2 of them just in case the one took a shit on me due to wear and tear.

8. Hey GT what about putting the exhaust on one of the six inch holes on the side? but like I said I thought the rule of thumb was to use an intake that is 2 times more then the exhaust.. UHHH this is so confusing for a woman like me lol

9. lol I remember when all these questions were roaming in my mind. If you can I suggest getting this book called "Marijuana Horticulture:The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower’s Bible" by Jorge Cervantes. Covers all the questions you have.
    The general rule is to always have an exhaust. If you are putting in a intake fan, according to the book, it should be 1/4 strength of the exhaust. This will create negative pressure.

For the intake exhaust placement. It is definitely better to have them on opposite side but if you can't i suggest that you run ducting into your tent. And if you want to take it a step further. Close the main hole and poke holes along the ducting so that fresh air reaches all plants :)

10. Oh btw it is on netflix. That's where I saw it:)

11. Come on boys this lil girl needs some help please:D(bats eyelashes) lol.. So its past 7:00 pm and I just got my fans. Damn ups man said i wasnt sure if this was an apartment or house. DERP DERP! Here is a pic of my new fan well I bought 2 of them:D only 9.99 and free shipping at newegg.com! WOOTS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Oh shoot to slow writing lol. I will try to find that book somewhere. I do not plan on a intake fan just a passive. Thats why I was fretting because I didnt have a vent hole on the opposite side from where i wanted my exhaust. I also read somewher on the forums that your intake need to be 2 times bigger then the exhaust well thats fucking in-imaginable! lol. Im just going to use the one 4 inch hole at the bottom for my intake and the 6 inch hole to the top left not the one on the same side for my exhaust then. Please if any one else has some suggestion pls feel free. It really helps me to not have to read about 8 hours a day playing find the treasure on the forums:(

Omg greenfingers I think we have the same tent actually!

13. Hello DG,

If it were me, I would use them both as exhaust fans either at the top or ducted to draw air from the top as mentioned. (That's what I do)

Then passive intake on opposite side with a fan in the tent to blow it all arond.

If you are venting from the top and moving it around inside you'll be fine.

Sterces.

14. #34 Downgirl2182, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks Sterces for the help. I dont think i would need both of those fans as exhaust considering im only using cfl's at the moment and it stays pretty cool in there now. Maybe when my babies get bigger I might need the 2 fans. I also do have a fan to blow the air around in the tent so at least I got that part right so far. What do you mean my ducted to draw air from the top? Like put my fan in the ducting and then lower it inside the tent? When it comes to mechanical things you have to remember I am 1. a newb and 2. I have a vagina and have no mechanical skills what so ever. Sorry:(
    Honestly guys I think im over thinking this all a bit. Im a new grower and excited about my new investment that I am basically like a kid tweeked off ritalin. Oh wait... I think im prescribed the ritalin patch.. Yup thats a patch stuck to my butt lol..

15. Hey DG,

The intake being 2 times bigger make some kind of sense if it is going to be a passive intake. You want to make sure your passive air intake is big enough so that enough fresh air can enter and to prevent the tent from suctioning. Since you have 2 fans I would use both one for outtake and one for intake and add ducting to the inside there will be an even distribution of fresh air. Made a diagram:D

Oh and btw our tents are actually different. I have two 2x4x5. If I put em together they would have the same area but you have more height. Wish I had more height..

Attached Files:

16. Hello DG,

I have an exhaust fan with 4” fittings on either side. So I attach a long tube to the intake and run it up to the top of my room. (It is out of order for the summer so I grabbed this old picture).

The fan itself is outside the room and the intake tube is run from the floor to the roof so the air is actually being withdrawn from the top of the grow room. I have a passive vent under the plants, which are about 6” off the ground (I am in a basement and don't want the cool floor chilling my dirt).

I am of the belief that the internal fan is enough to deliver the fresh air to the plants, but one thing you will find is there is always a better way to do something.

What you will need to figure out is how much time and effort you are willing to spend, and whether that time and effort are actually going to change your results.

I am a KISS grower and don't do too bad. :)

Sterces.

Attached Files:

17. Thanks for the good ideas guys! I took a picture of everything I bought today for ventilation and AND AND! I found normal perlite and vermiculite without any nutes in it at my nursery:D YAY! Now my issue is how am I going to fit my fans around my vent holes and on the ducting. I was thinking of using cardboard possibly as a sort of flange or something. I am not willing to buy a flange for 20$ might as well get raped in my bellybutton. So if you guys have any more ideas on fitting me love you long time and so will my husband for me stop pestering him for ideas. (wish he smoked but more for me!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JEEBUS! Sorry bout the huge pics. Thought I resized them

19. ok so I have these huge plastic Hawaiin punch jugs and thing of cutting it close to the funneled end and duct tape the fan to it and cut off the other side so it fits to the dryer ducting and duct tape it to the ducting (lots of ducts here stay with me lol). You think that would work?

[​IMG]

20. #40 Downgirl2182, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
    Ok so I found out my fan will only turn clockwise and is apparently not for the back of your computer case but for the fucking front. So had to turn it around..grrr. Ok so here is my question... I have the intake and exhaust on the same side BUT I have the exhuast fan ducted to the other side of the tent As show in pic. Will this be ok since I have the fan on the other side of the intake so it isnt sucking up all the intake air coming in? Also in my pic is how I jerry rigged it all up since I am far from mechanical..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]