simple cure for cancer found, but cant be patented

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by dealwithit, May 23, 2011.

1. I had my mind pretty stuck on the fact that cholesterol is the evil molecule behind atherosclerosis. I was unaware that trans fat contributes to high cholesterol in the body, and I appreciate you informing me and finding those links.

I guess you could say any change to a molecule could be potentially bad. I don't think that in the grand scheme of things your example relates much to the work done in drug design, given the nature of the changes made and the molecules being worked on. I think we could probably argue the pros and cons of drug design all night, but as I thrashed it out already with Vitamin I think I'll opt out on that one :smoke:

2. Saturated fats raise serum cholesterol levels (the bad kind). Scientists wanted to substitute unsaturated fats, which lower bad cholesterol levels, but decided to hydrogenate it in an effort to "enhance" it. It turns out hydrogenated unsaturated fats (AKA trans fats) are much worse for you than saturated fats are (as in, they increase serum cholesterol more). Increased cholesterol is what causes plaque buildup.

You were half right.

True. Sometimes chemically "enhancing" things does actually make them better. But as evident with the unsaturated versus trans fats thing, sometimes nature does it best.

3. If cancer is cured then the billion dollar drug companies will loose their jobs...kinda like the oil situation...no taxes will be collected, etc...there are cures and there are alternative energies. But then America can't collect taxes to wage their wars. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Puff, puff.

4. #44 chiefton8, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    No...unsaturated fats have fewer hydrogens than saturated. That's why they're called unsaturated. And Trans vs cis has nothing to do with the number of hydrogen atoms, only their positioning.

5. I think he means partial hydrogenation.

6. From Wikipedia:

7. #47 chiefton8, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    So yes, my assertion that trans fats have fewer hydrogens than saturated fats is correct, just as wiki says. Your previous post was ambiguous because you didn't specify what types of fats you were comparing trans fats to. Since the formal chemical distinction between cis vs trans fatty acids is not dependent on the number of hydrogen atoms (or more correctly, the oxidation state of the fatty acid), I was left to assume you were comparing trans fats with saturated fats. :confused:

8. just read in a research flyer through my uni that this new drug is not "the cure" and actually makes certain cells in the tumor more resilient

ill try and find the article in a bit, watchin the bruins beat up on the nucks though

ill say this though, its going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than that, cancer is a condition brought on by so many variables so many different kinds of cells

9. Hi there,

The side effect of this could it be also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can not be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

10. Population control. /thread

11. Yes, the difference between trans fat molecules and regular unsaturated fat molecules is the location of the double bond, but turning unsaturated fats into trans fats is achieved by adding hydrogen (or hydrogenating) the unsaturated fat molecules.

12. #52 iMaven, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
    you "prevent" it.. it's a symptom, not a disease. i guess you can "treat" it..my main point is that it isn't a strain of some sort that enters your body and attacks. i mean Rick simpson's hemp oil cure. i believe in that. i want to use it on my friend who has brain cancer.. i don't have a pound of high quality indica laying around though.

stop drinking that dr. pepper.
    i'm getting natural energy drinks at 3 for 5$.. You don't have to eat all the horrible things.. milk is a big cancer helper.. plus there is pus in it.. lol ew.
    jst saying.. cancer is easy to avoid with a little effort.

13. What the fuck lol.

14. yah from birth just cut out all the bullshit we're inclined to take in.. fast food, etc..
    believe what you want :)

and i'm willing to believe supplementing with baking soda helps prevent cells mutating into cancerous cells. i'd really love to post up the source but it's from a long time ago and idk how to find it.. it was a really good read. they're using baking soda in japan I hear, too.

gotta start young is another point though. once you get it it's hard to avoid.. because it's inside you..
    then you gotta just be strict with your intake and keep a positive outlook.
    like i said rick simpson's hemp oil cure would be interesting to test as well. i like to believe what people say about it (that using it over a couple months cures most serious cancers.)

15. The fuck are you talking about?

I can't even begin to understand how a post could be so wrong about so many things.

I've heard if you jump off a very tall bridge, there's no chance you'll die of cancer.

Damn dude, you should be a doctor.

16. Genetically predisposed to breast cancer? Think again! Just visit your local supermarket and pick up baking soda! It really is that easy!

17. Are you serious? These doctors and scientists pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to medical school to get certified to do this stuff. If I paid for a good education I would damn well want some compensation for the work I've done.

18. Like I said in my earlier post, medicine and politics aren't nearly as separate as you might think. By talking about scientists paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for certificates, we're approaching the issue from an economic perspective. It's apparent that the cost to benefit ratio of pharmaceutical drugs is a large burden on taxpayer shoulders, because these are corporations driven by profit margins and shareholder satisfaction, not consumer welfare. You don't have to believe me, just watch any pharma commercial.

If you want to talk about the issue from a scientific perspective, then the quality of the medicine is not nearly as effective as it were to be if plant-based medicines became the standard. The problem with the funded research is that it focuses on the reduction of complex systems into individual compounds that can be used for x or y, but the problem is that so many compounds work together that isolating them would yield different effects. And it's beginning to become apparent in neurological research through the use of MRIs, EMGs, and other brain scanning methods, that ratios of chemicals are pretty much as important as the chemicals themselves. If individual compounds were more important than the whole group, then antidepressants would actually work instead of increasing suicide rates right?

That's why using plants is awesome. They're pretty smart dude, our most powerful solar panels can't come close to matching the amount of power photosynthesis generates, yet it's one of the most ancient processes on Earth. And through smoking this incredible marijuana plant on a daily basis, I must say I've become convinced that there is a subtle intelligence expressed in all of nature, because it's more like an interconnected web than it is a structured hierarchy. As such, we can be affected by the world around us in both positive and negative ways - we can use radioactive fertilizer to grow tobacco and sell carcinogenic, highly addictive cigarettes to people for tax benefits, meanwhile outlawing arguably the most useful plant in the world ... which can also help battle cancer ;)

Pharmaceutical corporations have financial incentive to see weed stay illegal. Prescription drug use would drop tremendously if marijuana was offered as a legal alternative, and as a businessman running one of the largest industries in the world, you can't afford to have that happen.

19. Read carefully: Cancer is a symptom, not a disease. That simple enough for you?

funny thing, because I can't either! If you don't think drinking a lot of milk creates a more ideal for cancer outbreak, then you are sorely mislead. but i don't really care what you think because you are outright rude :)

Cool story.
    I'd have to deal with ignorance like this on a daily basis so no thanks:rolleyes:

20. #60 iMaven, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
    yup.
    that's what I've read. listen, i've never outright said: "this is all subjective experience speaking.."
    i'm going off the same thing you go off of : sources you deem credible.
    look it up yourself : the connection to aiding cancer with baking soda.
    maybe they are a bunch of liars.. getting sponsored by baking soda companies and they're banking off the sales going up loll but probably not.. especially when the treatment procedure is available (i think a teaspoon daily in water.)

stick to whatever you want tho idrc

it's not like i'm going to cry when something comes out and proves i'm wrong. i'm down with learning the truth.
    anyways..